• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hey All

Seventeen

Hello all,
I am from Malta and after much thinking I bought my first Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in end of August.
She (Holly) was at the time a ten months female, and will be one year old later on this (October) month.

My family had dogs since ever; from a mixed poodle when I was very young, two toy miniature poodles (one lived for 17 years),
two Yorkshire terriers (a male 15 years and a female 14 years), and now we have Holly our first Cavalier.
Cavaliers are becoming increasingly popular on the island and my final choice was made. Instead of CKCS I was also thinking of getting a Beagle.
In the end CKCS won over because of there loving character.
I was tempted to go for another breed mostly because of the health issues, I think when I bought Holly I only knew about 30% of them.
Anyways so far I am not regretting my choice, Holly is so far showing to be the sweetest most loving dog we ever had.

I stumbled on Cavalier Talk by looking for more information about the breed and the health issues pertaining to it.

Welcome and congrats on your new cavalier! We have had a few members in the past from Malta -- I am not sure if we have anyone active at present though. :) Do post some pictures of her when you get the chance!

Hello Katrin.
Thank you for the welcome!

So far I am giving a taste of Holly in my profile picture. Will post a couple more in the dedicated section later on.

Welcome! Its good you are aware of the health issues, but hopefully your little Holly will be healthy for a long time. Holly looks adorable and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Yes I read so much since I bought her. Thinking in hind-sight now I am a bit afraid, since Holly has grabbed the family heart so fast.

I am very much scared of CM/SM, the plan is to go UK or Italy in 2 years time and check her over if the budget allows it.
In Malta many breed Cavaliers are more of the family type.
Also I am not so sure how many local Vets understand the breed, since I think they are complicated health wise.

Thanks to Facebook we will do a Malta Cavalier KCS gathering on Sunday 2 November. So far there should be about 20 plus Cavaliers.
I will try to post some pictures after the event.

I think a lot can be done from Kennel Clubs around the World to help the breed thrive health wise.
So far unfortunately nothing is being done bar minus the UK CKCS club. Its a pity they are special dogs.

Back