• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hey from Patsy. I just got a cavalier puppy and have had two in the past. This one was 7 weeks old when i got her…yes i know that’s way too young.

Patsyvu

I judt got a cavalier puppy and have had 2 in the padt. This new one was 7 weeks when i got her…yes i know way too early but circumstances dictated i get her then. She is 3 and ahalf months and am getting a little nervous. She weighed 11 lbs at 3 months but is getting very tall and lean. She is beginning to get her feathers and the coat is beautiful. However, her body shape ( tall and Lean) is bothering me. Should i be concerned?

Hi and welcome! Puppies tend to get a bit gangly as they grow and parts grow at different rates, and it will be maybe 6 months or so before you get a sense of where she is going. Post a couple of pics if you want -- it's still a bit of a pain to post images here as you need to resize to fit a maximum size for an attachment (that will change when the next software upgrade is released). Your vet is the best person to ask if you are concerned that she is too lean and perhaps not getting enough food? But puppies shouldn't be fat and overfed :). Most puppies will eat what they need rather than overeat however. You would want to see an indented but not overly thin 'waist' when seen from above, and not to see ribs showing.

The best guide to your puppy's eventual size and shape will be what her parents looked like and if you absolutely know the breeder is trustworthy and the puppies are actually full cavaliers and from the parents she shows -- some responsible breeders actually endorse their registration certs with DNA verification. However puppies like human kids are unpredictable :). Some will be on the smaller side, some larger, some lean, some struggle with weight if they just look at a treat! I have a larger and lean, longer legged cavalier who is very athletic. I've no idea of his background as he came from the pound here, but he could possibly have some other mix in there -- or not. He's a great dog as he's very fit, and has the easiest coat to care for of all my cavaliers. :)

Back