• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi from Alaska

brownietrout

Hi to everyone here. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and wish I had found it sooner. I have a 4 month old tri-color CKCS which I picked at 8 weeks in California.
After many phone calls and questions I bought my pup but didn't know till I arrived down there that it was a backyard breeder (she had all the right answers to all the questions) I got her referral off the ACKCS site.
Our baby Gracie is the sweetest and most wonderful dog I have ever owned and we love her so much. I am afraid however that she is showing signs of SM and it is breaking my heart.:(
I hope to get lots of help and support here as we work through this heartbreaking condition.
Are all Cavs such sweet little characters? I have owned many dogs and can't believe what a special little girl this is.
Laurie

I'd have to say I have never met a Cavalier that didn't absolutely steal my heart. I'm sorry to hear about her possible health concerns, there seems to be alot of very knowledgeable people on this site that will be able to help you with information. Good lluck with that. Hope to see some pictures of your baby soon.

Gracie is so cute - I saw her picture on your other post. One of my dogs (Riley) has SM, so please let us know what has you concerned. You can post your observations in the SM/MVD forum and you will get lots of support. There might be lots of other things to rule out before a diagnosis of SM. And yes, cavaliers just steal your heart from the moment you meet them. That's why I have four!

Welcome to the board. :)

If she is a member of the ACKCSC, or the AKC, you can write to express your concern at her breeding set-up. Certainly someone in the national breed clubs (CKCSC or ACKCSC)generally do have to answer to the parent club.

Do you want to explain a bit more as to why you suspect SM? It would be really unlikely in a puppy so young. Scratching at this age tends to be ear mites or rabbit mites or fleas or skin conditions (all common in puppies), or annoyance with a collar as it is a new thing. Walking difficulties would tend to be patella problems at this age, not SM. Has your vet checked the things you feel are a concern?

Yes she is scratching and sometimes rubbing her head with her paws which happens most right after she gets up and may just be rubbing those curly whiskers that get up around her eyes out of the way. What has me most concerned is 4 times or so in the past 2 months she has yelped for no apparent reason and turned around to bite her back end. She has no problems walking and other than those few times seems to be healthy happy and feisty and sweet as pie.
She has been checked out by the vet and has no ear or skin problems. She did have a few drops of blood after pooping for the first few days we had her but that cleared up and she has healthy looking poops now. I am hoping I am over reacting. If I see any further signs I will talk to the vet about it. In the meantime I will keep an eye on her and see what develops with time.
Thank you for all your well wishes and concern, I look forward to being part of this board and sharing my new love for this wonderful breed
Laurie

Back