• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How old is your cav(s) and how much do they wiegh

Riley is 10 months and 17 pounds. He is a big boy, always was. He's not fat at all, you can easily feel his ribs and he has a nice defined waist, but he's kinda tall and long, "lanky" i think is the right description. :lol: He'll probably end up about 20 pounds i think.

I was gald to see some big size cavaliers as I think Barney must go in a grow-bag at night bacause he is so big not fat but long legs long body and everthing else as well but I would not charge him he is ten mouths old and the vet say he is just right in weight for how big he is---Aileen

SiânE is eight years old and a very healthy (well the vet said so) 12 kg, to think when she first came to stay she only weight 7.5 kg. :shock:

hi

molly is 3 now and weighs 7.8kg she is a small cavalier but cute with it ,charlie is 22months and weighs 9kg so still not a big cavalier but is a nice shape....

Re: hi

molly+charlies mum said:
molly is 3 now and weighs 7.8kg she is a small cavalier but cute with it ,charlie is 22months and weighs 9kg so still not a big cavalier but is a nice shape....

My largest female cavalier weighs almost 7.7 kilos--so Molly is not small. Small is my lil 10 month old that weighs 5.5 kilos.

Jaspar: 16.5lbs, turns three next week
Leo: 14.5lbs, turned three a couple of weeks ago
Lily: 13lbs, somewhere between 1 and 2

well i last checked Milo when i went over to the vet with him two days ago...he's 5.6 kg which i think is a bit over 12 pounds..and he's 11 months old..
and Monty im not quite sure..hvnt checked in some time but i'm assuming from size that he is a little less than Milo and he is also 11 months

Tandie (age 3 or 4) is a whippet-like 14 and a half pounds! We all thought she'd filled out a little since we got her two weeks ago until she was weighed Saturday night and hasn't put up an ounce. Must check her again because I'm guessing after all that cooked heart and cheese and doggie cookies at training the scales might be telling a different story this morning ;)

Charlies 19 weeks tommorow and weighs 5 kilos, is that normal????
He seems to be all legs at the moment though!!
His head still seems too small for his body, when will it catch up?

Wait for it ...

Monty, nearly 11. 35lbs, despite being very thin ( i think our two have Rose mullion of ottermouth in common, Donna and Ruth said he was big)

Izzy, 9, still 21 lbs, despite being skin and bone (He has always weighed heavier than he looks, being the heaviest in his litter, but the same size as the others)

Joly, 3, 23lbs (He could lose a little, but is not really fat)

Teddy, 3, 23lbs (He is just right for his wide beamed frame).

Chloe at not quite 11 weeks weighed just under 5 pounds.(2 kg)

Holly I don't know for sure- stupidly didn't ask the vet for the exact figure, but I'd estimate she's somewhere around 5 kilos, which makes her around the region of 11 pounds. Given her small frame, I'd say that's about right, especially since the vet commented that she was very much on the low end in terms of Cavalier weight, and not to let her lose any more or she'd be too thin. I think he thought I was trying to make her grow bigger as he said that at this age she wouldn't grow any more. :D :D

Bella was five on 25th October, she weighs just under 17 lbs. she is very fit.
I don't bathe her very often as she is very much a house dog, and when we have been walking in the mud and sludge I just rinse down her paws etc and she looks good as new in no time.
She is a strong healthy girlie, who often takes me for walks.

Orla

Ps. How do I get a pic of her up here?

Duncan topped out (hopefully) at 21 lbs when he was a year, but we are working on him. He is SO furry I thought it was all fur but the waist test told me the vet was indeed right and 4-5 lbs needed to come off. We are boarding them next weekend so I will find out more then.

Arthur is all skin and bones. He was 9 lbs at 4 months and I know he is bigger so I am going to guess 11 lbs at 6 months. We go for his neutering on Friday so I guess we will know more then.

Orla -- there's directions on posting pics in the Getting Started section at the top of the board. (y)

Cherrise is 7 month and is 7 lb .. is she small .. ?

That is undersized for her age though it really depends on the litter size and so on -- if the litter was large, the puppies are smaller but eventually catch up. If the litter is small often the puppies are larger but all even out at the end. Be sure your vet knows about the typical size for a cavalier as singificantly undersized dogs need to be watched a little more carefully to make sure there isn't an underlying medical problem. She could very well end up around the bottom of breed standard or just below; I'd guess she will go to at least 10lbs, maybe on up to 12-13... they can still fill out until they are about two and she could well put on several pounds in the coming months. If she stays below 10lbs and isn;t growing much in the coming weeks, that would concern me a bit and in that case, I'd definitely want to have a vet really check her out. What size were her parents? Presumably you saw them both and have info on her background from the breeder? I'd contact the breeder to see if she knows about her siblings' sizes perhaps and to get more info on the parent sizes. She may just be a smallie! :) Be sure to get her spayed though if she stays small -- any pregnancy could be a risk in a smaller than normal dog and this is a breed that can have difficulty as it is. You wouldn;t want to risk anything along those lines.

Some dogs of course will naturally fall outside the breed standard of 13-18 lbs (12 lbs in the UK) so some variation up and down is perfectly normal and fine, but smaller cavaliers in particular shouldn;t be bred if they are undersized as there's a greater potential for passing along health issues when you dip below breed standards -- making any breed smaller than it should be risks bone and other problems. No good breeder will breed for small cavaliers deliberately and that should be a red flag for anyone, and is worth mentioning on a long thread about adult sizes of cavaliers. Unfortunately there's a growing market for 'teacup cavaliers' -- which don't exist -- they tend to be backyard breeders breeding undersized dogs and runts together, which already have a disposition towards health problems. :x

This thread explains more on how to roughly gauge adult size:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31

Shelby is 3 years old and weighs 19 lbs (should could stand to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs)

Jake is 4 years old and weigs 24 lbs...Perfect for his frame...he is very tall but has a wonderful figure.

Wow Cathy, the kids are even much the same size!!! Sophie 3, is 18lbs and Lottie 4, who is taller, weighs 21lbs. :)
Julie and the girls

Back