• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I better stay away from this store

Zenkar - its about learning and education. At least now you see the bigger picture. And now you can pass on the word:) Good luck and very best wishes with your new puppy

I think the reason most of these people stay in business is because so many people are impulse buyers, get bowled over by the cuteness effect, and want their puppy NOW. All it takes is to walk through the door with a credit card and get that instant gratification....This often leads to thousands of dollars in vet bills for future hereditary problems, and deep seated temperament issues from being separated from their mothers at a very very young age. This doesn't even take into account the horrid lives the "breeding stock" are suffering to produce these cute little pups.:(:( Puppies labled as USDA choice....seems I saw that on a pound of hamburger in the market this afternoon.

This doesn't mean you love your puppy any less, just get a good insurance policy and hopefully he will be just fine in the future. However, it is good to know the dirty little secrets of the puppy farming industry so that someday storefront puppy vendors will all be put out of business.

Good point, Marianne, about the impulse shopping. Any number of times we tell people to leave their checkbook at home when coming to our house to look at puppies. We then explain that they need to spend some time trying to look at the puppy objectively and the obligations and work of raising a puppy.

trying to look at the puppy objectively

Bruce, I'd love to see you looking at a puppy objectively... :rotfl:

But the points raised are serious. Impulse buys are what pet shops count on, and resisting any puppy, any breed is difficult -- and cavaliers are particularly cute.

The other side of the impulse buy is the older dog, often at age 1 or 2, ending up in the pound or shelter because the puppy is long grown into an adult and the uncared for puppy produced an unhousetrained adult without much self control that no one wants to take the time to look after. And puppies themselves are very, very time consuming for the first few months in particular. Delightful, but not for everyone -- which is why trying to be objective and think of the realities and not the cuteness factor is so important.

Looks like my puppy came from Lambriar Kennel in Kansas... ( A kennel that sells to stores only) and looks like they bought it from a breeder aka puppy mill? from Arkansas... wow my pup has traveled alot...

I wonder if Faith came from the same Arkansas kennel? Do you happen to know what city the kennel is in? ;) Faith actually made it all the way to a pet store before she was rejected for a luxating patella and an umbilical hernia. She was also stolen from her mommy at 5 weeks old and as a result (well I think this is directly related) she had no "dog skills" or people skills whatsoever. She came to my house at 10 weeks and I had issues with her growling at me inappropriately (and by that I mean she would growl if she was eating and I walked up to her). I was able to correct the problem thank goodness, but it's really sad to think about if she had ended up with someone else what the implications of her lack of socialization would have been.

I wonder if Faith came from the same Arkansas kennel? Do you happen to know what city the kennel is in? ;) Faith actually made it all the way to a pet store before she was rejected for a luxating patella and an umbilical hernia. She was also stolen from her mommy at 5 weeks old and as a result (well I think this is directly related) she had no "dog skills" or people skills whatsoever. She came to my house at 10 weeks and I had issues with her growling at me inappropriately (and by that I mean she would growl if she was eating and I walked up to her). I was able to correct the problem thank goodness, but it's really sad to think about if she had ended up with someone else what the implications of her lack of socialization would have been.

Mahaska, KS

Looks like my puppy came from Lambriar Kennel in Kansas... ( A kennel that sells to stores only) and looks like they bought it from a breeder aka puppy mill? from Arkansas... wow my pup has traveled alot...

I was actually wondering about the Arkansas one? :) It's probably nothing, just wondering if it was the same as Faith's :flwr:

That website is quite scary, all those breeds instore or stock it just screams cruelty at you:mad:

Well Zenkar, it sounds as though your puppy has been one of the lucky ones to have found a good home with you :). I had no idea about puppy farms here in the UK until I started trawling the internet looking for a rescue dog, many rescue places here have so many discarded breeding bitches & stud dogs, it's heartbreaking! We once went to look at a Yellow Labrador who was an 8 year old, ex stud dog, it broke my heart that we could not take him, he had never lived in a home, didn't have a name - except for the one the rescue gave him - & had no idea how to walk on a lead & he was very strong! Thankfully someone did eventually give him the home he deserved!

Back