• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished

Good points Cathryn and Bet. And worth adding again that just because a cavalier has SM does not mean it must be removed from a breeding programme -- unless it is symptomatic. People keep forgetting this. :) The dog may receive a lower grade, but can still be bred to an A dog. Even an A dog can have a small syrinx (whch *I* keep forgetting! :lol:). It is important for breeders to retain a wide range of good genes and a good heart for example may make a D dog an important dog to retain in a breeding programme. So far, results of breedings to A dogs have been very good and no known AxA crossing has yet produced puppies with SM. Dutch breeders in particular are doing some very controlled breedings, and also some in the UK and the US.

Grading table:

GRADE, AGE (Years), SYRINGOMYELIA, BREED TO

A: Over 2.5; Absent or less than 2mm central canal dilatation in the C2-C4 vertebrae region only; A, C, D

C: Under 2.5; Absent; A and re-scan after age 2.5

D: Over 2.5; Present but Asymptomatic; A

E: Under 2.5; Present but Asymptomatic; Do not breed

F: Any; Present and Symptomatic; Do not breed

The part I find disgraceful about the person's comments is that seemily it was said to cause harm. I know USA laws are different to Australian law, but here if someone makes a comment with the intent to cause harm, even if the statement is true, the person making the statement can be sued for malicious slander. The only exception to this is if the statement was made in the interest of public safety.

That's about as stupid as saying because we test hearts every year, that all our dogs must have MVD. QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!!! I think some ppl who themselves don't put any effort into helping sort out problems like SM and MVD need to take cheap shots at people that DO try (like yourself) in order to make themselves feel better...or justify that they themselves arn't doing anything.
Hold your head up high and be proud of what you are doing as when it all boils down to it you guys truly do love and care about this breed! Good work I say keep on doing what your doing as you ARE making a difference!!!!

Back