• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I need some advice... from Spain

What wonderful news! I'm glad things are working out well for you. I was so sorry to read about your Queen. She was beautiful. Hopefully things will work out with the French breeder and you will have a lovely new cav to share your home.

We have received some pictures and we have chosen one of them. She is a 5 1/2 months old puppy.

What do you think about buying a puppy like this? We always have bought dogs with just 2-3 months and we think this is a little big as a puppy.

We are thinking what to do...

You will be very fortunate to get an older puppy. We brought our girl home from the breeder at 6 months, and she was already doggie door trained, 95% potty trained (we just had to show her where to go in the yard and remind her to go out periodically) and walked on a loose lead. She was well socialized with the other trained dogs at the breeders home and she has never been destructive or had play biting issues. She was also very accustomed to the crate for sleeping and travel.

If I got another puppy down the line I would actually request an older dog if I could get one. Our breeder spends alot of time with her dogs socializing and training before the go to their new homes but that extra few months of maturity made it so easy for her to adapt to our home in no time!

Can't wait to see pictures when the big day comes!!!

I ,too, think that age sounds perfect. That was exactly the age we started Dixie with obedience training, and she picked it up easily. 5 1/2 mo. is still very much a puppy.......can't wait to hear all about her and see pictures. She was just meant to be yours !!!! Judy and Dixie

Last edited:
Oh ! I am happy for you ! you will have a nice puppy in good health and it will be a new life which will begin for you. It is the perfect age. She is still a baby.
I am looking foward to seeing the picture of your new baby. Have you chosen a name for her ?

I have received more pictures.

What is your opinion? I think is really cute :luv:

We are still thinking on what to do, buying this puppy or looking a younger one. I want this one but this has to be a familiar decision not only mine.

I will tell you...

im wondering why the breeder still has the puppy at 5 and a half months? I dont know much about the french way of selling the puppies. Here in ireland the majority of puppies are gone to homes as soon as possible. At 8 weeks approx. They are all booked to go as soon as they are ready. Not that there is anything wrong at all with having a puppy of this age..Im just wondering is that the way it is done in france. i presume it is.... i hope it works out for you...:):)

Awwwww, I think she is beautiful......... What a sweet, sweet face !!!!! Can't wait to hear what you decide. Judy and Dixie

She is lovely ! what a nice fur ! I love her sweet face !
in France breeders sell their puppies between 3 months and a half and 6 months, except a few young breeders who do not respect this law. Ulysse was 4 months when he arrives and Choupinet was 3 months and a half whereas my first cav eighteen years ago was five months.
I think that things are changing here with the arrival of new young breeders and new rules.
At French shows, dogs are classified as babies until the age of 7 months.
I am looking foward to reading your decison !

We have finally decided she become a member of our family (y).

Next week, if the breeder have everything needed done will go to pick her up.

1700 km, a little big adventure.

To be contiued... xD

I am so happy for you. You will have a nice girl and life will be very nice after a long period of distress !
I wish you happiness and a long life for you baby... her name ??

About her name, we are not sure yet. Maybe we will call her "Queen", as our previous one. What do you think? Would you use the same name?

I will do it.

So glad for you.My first cavalier was 4 and1/2 months when we got him. I think the age is fine. If it were me I would choose a new name for your new pup..you will never forget Queen,but the new puppy should be her own little dog with her own name.Just my opinion of course..

Back