• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

is pedigree really so bad?

pedigree have taken over jwb since 2002. so i have read. keep an eye on the ingredients! as with all brands of dog food. you never know when they will change what you are used to. just like going into a fancy new cafe with mouthwatering food only to find a few months down the line theyve gone cheep n nasty too! :)

My first dog was a lab and I fed pedigree not knowing much about nutrition options. She died at 8 years from cancer.
My cocker spaniel I thought I would feed better and fed her Purina one but with Hali and all the health issues this breed has I wanted to make sure that she had the best that I could afford so I now feed her Innova Evo. Her coat is incredible and she receives so many compliments on how soft and gbautiful her coat is. I do agree that "you are what you eat". Hali is now gaining a little weight so I purchased the lower fat version of Evo which is 50% protein and lower fat. In addition, I give her green beans, carrots and bits of fruit.

With all the recent talk of the Kennel Club and Pedigree Dogs Exposed, it might be worth mentioning that Pedigree is also a sponsor of Cruft's and has yet to pull their sponsorship like some other organizations.

There are so many quality foods on the market, there's no need to continue feeding something you're questionable about. You're a good dog parent to be worried, and I think you'll make the best choice. Good luck!

I think you really can see the difference. I ran out of my current favourite (Arden Grange, I think is the name) and had to run in and get a tide-over box of Baker's since we were going away at the weekend. I think Baker's is probably on a par with Pedigree - although at least a named meat source is the first ingredient (on my box, anyway) but in just a couple of days both dogs are noticeably scratching more than they have been since I switched them to AG. On AG their poops were great, their coats stunning, they loved the food, and there was no scooting or scratching - both of which I'm seeing a little at the moment from Amber especially. At the end of the day, though, if your dogs are happy and healthy and YOU'RE happy with Pedigree, then stick with it.

Hi

I totally with all the members ,Pedigree and Bakers and similar are rubbish i tend to do 3 months then change between Burns -Royal Canin cav food and JWB

I feed Dylan Chappie, I have no choice, it's the only thing to control his colitis. My vet compared the nutritional breakdown on the tin and it was very close to the intestinal diet. Only difference was it was slightly lower in vitamin E, I was happy. Then I found out it was manufactured by the same people as Pedigree. But it's been wonderful for Dylan, no more tummy upsets.

Pauline there is no need to worry about Chappie. I used to work for a large veterinary group. Vets there ALL used Chappie for their own dogs.
Our vet yesterday asked what Amber is fed on (organic raw beef and James Wellbeloved kibble), he said thats fine, or you can give her Chappie .

I feed Dylan Chappie, I have no choice, it's the only thing to control his colitis. My vet compared the nutritional breakdown on the tin and it was very close to the intestinal diet. Only difference was it was slightly lower in vitamin E, I was happy. Then I found out it was manufactured by the same people as Pedigree. But it's been wonderful for Dylan, no more tummy upsets.

Pauline - have you tried Naturediet? They're vewry bland foods - they do chicken & rice & lamb & rice - sorted Sparky's colitis out in a matter of days (& if I change to anything other than raw he gets the colitis back again) - www.zooplus.co.uk - they deliver too!!

When Cass was a pup she would only eat chappie & my vet went mad saying she wouldnt get enough vitamines etc - she's almost 11 now & (thankfully) will now eat almost anything but it didnt do her any harm!

Oliver's one of those (many!) Cavaliers who starts putting on weight if he misses his walks for a few days. I found a good way of keeping him slim and fit was James WellBeloved's Senior/Light range - Duck and Rice and Fish and Rice are his favourites. Enough protein but not too much carbohydrate. A 2.5kg bag lasts him a fortnight, so it's not expensive; he has a little bit of tinned meat for breakfast just for a change, and also because it's useful for giving liquid medicine if he ever needs it. Other brands do Senior/Light ranges as well.

Kate and Oliver-with-the-good-waistline!

Pauline - have you tried Naturediet? They're vewry bland foods - they do chicken & rice & lamb & rice - sorted Sparky's colitis out in a matter of days (& if I change to anything other than raw he gets the colitis back again) - www.zooplus.co.uk - they deliver too!!

When Cass was a pup she would only eat chappie & my vet went mad saying she wouldnt get enough vitamines etc - she's almost 11 now & (thankfully) will now eat almost anything but it didnt do her any harm!

Hi Sonia, yes, we still have a few trays in the larder. They didn't help either. Nature Diet is a very good food though. I don't know if it's true but my trainer told me the owner of NatureDiet fell in the cooking pot and died:eek: I hope that was a bad joke:confused:

Good Lord woman, I do hope it was a joke, cos I've been feeding my Boxer Naturediet and JW Senior Light for the past week.:eek:

Good Lord woman, I do hope it was a joke, cos I've been feeding my Boxer Naturediet and JW Senior Light for the past week.:eek:

:lol: This was maybe a year ago. Like I said, it may have been a joke but our trainer said it straight faced and all our jaws dropped.:eek:

We're feeding Sally Royal Canin mini adult at the moment and she loves it. I think £35 sounds a lot for a bag though. We got it from our local pet shop for £23 for 8kg bag. This will last her a good few months. Before we switched to Royal Canin she was fed JWB and this was great too. I would only use premium foods with Sally. She seems better behaved and easier to control when she's fed a good diet. Her poop is also harder and less offensive smelling!

My 2 Cents

I feed my crew Merrick's kibble, and we add pumpkin, carrots, and steamed veggies (frozen) to the kibble. They do well on it, and they eat voraciously.

If your dog is a bit pudgy, it may simply be the quantity of food you're feeding (whatever brand). Do not feed the quantity suggested on the food bag label. They are always excessive (the more food you feed, the more food you buy!). Base your food amount on the size of your dog and how active it is. For example, Cedar is about 12-13 pounds and fairly active during the spring and fall (not so much in the summer and winter). So she gets about half a cup a day plus the veg and pumpkin and treats. (don't forget to consider how treats add to the calorie intake!) Willow, who is NEVER active (she's a total couch potato), and about 10-11 pounds, gets 1/3 C plus the veg and treats. Both are at good weights for their frames. More active dogs--like Holly, who weighs about the same as Willow--gets fed a bit more.

As far as the quality of pedigree goes, I agree that there are foods available that are better. Not that I'm a food snob--my girls eat much better food than I feed myself and they eat much more reasonable quantities than I do, too! Here's a story to illustrate why I pay the extra money (and whether it is more money or not, i can't say for sure; it just feels more expensive):

A friend of mine had a golden retriever. She was a BYB or miller bred dog that my friend rehomed. Anyway, their dog is 5 or 6 now, and she has hip dysplasia and severe skin allergies. They were feeding her Beneful, a grocery store kibble. Their vet was giving them heck b/c they didn't want to spend the money on the allergy tests--they felt for sure it was environmental and seasonal. So I suggested that they switch foods to something without so many grains. They thought I was being a snob, though they were nice enough not to say so to my face. :)

After quite a while of dealing with their dog's poor health, they talked to an owner of a pet store who introduced them to a more natural food that is supposed to be good for allergies. After just a few weeks, Missy started to scratch less, her hair is growing back, and her activity level increased dramatically. She FELT better. It wasnt until later that they learned the food they switched to is the same brand and variety I feed my dogs!

People can get very emotional about food as it is so central to our roll of care taker and provider. So I dont mean to suggest that you're a bad doggie parent for using pedigree. I just point out that there are good reasons for using other foods besides the assumed snobbery that goes with it. I'm not a food snob--I'm a Wendy's drivethru regular--but if there's even a chance that a different brand will help my dogs live longer and feel better, I want to take that chance.

Hi Sonia, yes, we still have a few trays in the larder. They didn't help either. Nature Diet is a very good food though. I don't know if it's true but my trainer told me the owner of NatureDiet fell in the cooking pot and died:eek: I hope that was a bad joke:confused:

I heard something like that - a couple of years age there was an accident at their plant & they sold it & moved, for ages you couldn't get half the flavours, I thought it must have been something bad for them to sell & move but didnt realise the owner fell in the pot! - gonna google that!

I didnt find anything either!

Their website hasn't been updated in ages either - dont know if thats a conincidence?

Back