• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jasper ate raisins

LorifromGA

This has been an awful afternoon. My 9-year-old son brought home a small box of raisins from school and left it in his bookbag. Jasper found them. I caught him in the act and immediately called the vet. Most of you probably know that raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause renal failure.
This was not Jasper's first encounter with raisins. He got sick as a young puppy after my 5-year-old son fed him about 7 raisins, but thankfully he didn't go into kidney failure. He had diarrhea, and that was the end of it. I took him to the vet then, too, and had a full panel run to check his kidneys.

When I called the vet today, he told me to induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. I did this, and Jasper vomited about 25-30 raisins that were totally undigested. Then he started vomiting clear fluid. I called the vet back to see what else I needed to do, and he said he thought that should take care of it. However, he admitted that he simply didn't know what else could be done at this point. He didn't seem worried at all, but I am. I've read all kinds of awful things on the internet.

Right now Jasper is acting fine and is eating and drinking normally. It's been about 2 hours since the incident. I induced vomiting within 15 minutes after catching him eating the raisins, and after the intiial 3 vomiting sessions, he hasn't vomited since. The vet warned that he might have diarrhea tonight.

Do you think there's anything else I should do at this point other than watch him closely? I've read the signs of acute renal failure and will take him in immediately if I see any evidence of it.

Any thoughts? I'm worried absolutely sick!

Lori

Sounds like your quick action did the trick. I would keep a close eye for today. I don't really have any experience with this though.

I think you've done everything you can... for now. Just keep an eye on him. Keep us posted.

Sounds like Jasper is quite a character...LOL! Always getting into stuff. :p

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I've heard of hydrogen peroxide being used to induce vomiting before, but why would anyone have this at home? Can you use it for other things? It's not the same stuff you colour hair with is it? I know I've asked about this before but I can't remember.

I have some at home to clean wounds and scratches, etc. Also, if I get a bloody nose then I can put some on a cotton ball and make the bleeding stop.

Jasper is still acting normal--eating and peeing just fine. He's as active as ever. I'm going to watch him like a hawk tonight, and I'll probably go ahead and take him to the vet tomorrow for some bloodwork to test his kidney levels, especially since he's had problems with raisins before. I read on the web that an IV flush is a good idea if you can do it within 24-72 hours, so I may request that unless he seems to be symptom-free. I'm probably going overboard. Jasper has pet insurance, so I can afford to be a little more liberal with his care.

As for hydrogen peroxide, it's a common household product here in the States. It's usually located in the first aid section right next to rubbing alcohol, witch hazel, and things like that. I think most households here have it in on hand. It's great for cleaning wounds. It bubbles up but doesn't sting. I never knew it could induce vomiting until the vet told me, and it worked like a charm. I gave him 1 teaspoon through a medicine syringe, and his mouth started foaming immediately. He was vomiting within 2 minutes. FYI...the vet said that if he didn't vomit within 10-15 minutes to give him one more teaspoon but not any more than that. Fortunately, we didn't have to give him more than the one dose.

I hope my little mischief-maker will be okay. I've been scared to death. My 9-year-old is taking it pretty hard, too. He got in big trouble for bringing raisins home from school. They've been a banned substance in our house since Jasper got sick off of them at 4 months old. He just didn't think about it, I guess, and Jasper sniffed them out of his bag within 10 minutes of my son getting home.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll post an update tomorrow morning.

Lori

Oh, I'm so glad he's feeling better. Yes, please let us know what the vet says.

Do you have VPI insurance? I have that too for Charlie. Especially while in the puppy stages! It covers their puppy shots so it's worth having. It also covers their flea medication. I totally forgot about it, my vet reminded me of it.

Oh, I'm so glad he's feeling better. Yes, please let us know what the vet says.

Do you have VPI insurance? I have that too for Charlie. Especially while in the puppy stages! It covers their puppy shots so it's worth having. It also covers their flea medication. I totally forgot about it, my vet reminded me of it.

We have ASPCA pet insurance--the primary plan. It covers everything except routine vaccinations, I think, but Jasper had had almost all of his puppy vaccinations when we got him. I thought it was well worth the price ($250 a year). We've already spent double that in vet bills! I have to submit the claims to be reimbursed. It's been on my "to do" list for a couple of months now.

Jas has just polished off every bit of his dinner (I cooked him three pieces of bacon to mix in his food as a special treat) and is now happily chewing up one of my son's old shoes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his normal behavior continues!

Lori

I am sorry this happened. You could call the ASPCA poison control number to ask what else you need to know (888 426-4435). It costs $60.00, but I had to use it once and they were very good. They also recommended the hydrogen peroxide for Kaya (she was the emergency that time). Most vets actually use the number themselves.

Hope all winds up being fine. :xfngr:

Last edited:
Lori, if he urinates more often than normal it can signal kidney failure, so watch for that too.

We're hoping he'll be ok. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

:eek: Gosh this scared me, as I had no idea that raisins were toxic to dogs. I make a lot of cakes and although don't intentionally feed Toby or Rufus raisins there have been occassions of a few 'raisins overboard' which have been picked up in the usual Cavalier way. I will make sure this doesn't happen again.

:xfngr:I hope that Jasper is ok. Good insurance is certainly worth the money. Give him a cuddle from me.

Best wishes,

I am sorry this happened. You could call the ASPCA poison control number to ask what else you need to know (888 426-4435). It costs $60.00, but I had to use it once and they were very good. They also recommended the hydrogen peroxide for Kaya (she was the emergency that time). Most vets actually use the number themselves.

Hope all winds up being fine. :xfngr:

This is true. There was an incident where Lucky got into something he shouldn't have as a puppy. Our vet is great, but wasn't sure if it was okay or not and recommended we call Animal Poison control first.

How is the little 'Raisin King' this morning? He's lucky that you reacted so quickly, but it sounds like he's got over it fine.

Dont be too hard on your poor son....... its a Cavalier thing, they get into, out of, over the top of, underneath just about anything that isn't padlocked!! Thats one reason why they are such fun companions - you just never know where they'll find their next adventure - although it usually involves food!!:)

Keep us posted how he is doing.

:eek: This has to be my biggest fear concerning my dogs,raisins & grapes..with 3 kids in the house it´s not possible to prohibit raisins&grapes altogether but I allways crate the dogs when the kids are having R&G....and then examine the floors og furniture throughly afterwards....

Im glad the mischievious little fellows is ok,you were so lucky to catch him munching the raisins!(y)

Sure hope Jasper is okay. Sounds like you did the right thing by inducing the vomitting right away. When someone else's dog got a hold of sugar-free chewing gum with xylitol and posted her story I immediately went and bought two bottles of hydrogen peroxide specifically for this purpose. I keep a bottle in the car and one in the house.

I think Jasper is completely okay

So far he's showing absolutely no signs of any problems from the raisin incident, and it's been almost 24 hours. :xfngr: I won't feel like we're in the clear for another few days, though. My husband actually worked from home this morning so he could keep an eye on him while I taught my class. :lotsaluv:

Jasper has been eating, drinking, peeing & pooping normally. He's as active as ever. I decided to hold off on taking him in for blood work for now, but I'll continue to watch him closely for any symptoms.

Thanks for the tip about calling the ASPCA poison control number. I never would've thought of that!

These Cavs sure know how to keep us on our toes, don't they?

Lori

Back