• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jealous Ziggy because of new puppy

Debroyla

Ziggy (male) is 2 years old. He's very close to me. We recently decided to add a 12 week female cavalier to our family as a companion for Ziggy.
He is SUPER JEALOUS, and mad at me. He plays with her ok, sometimes he will let her (Hazel) cuddle wirh him, and many times when she tries to cuddle, he gets up and moves.
We've had Hazel for a couple months now. I have made sure to give him his usual attention.
Lately he's been peeing in the house at night, or he sits out in the living room and barks at night. I don't know what to do. He is a very good boy usually.

Ziggy has been used to being the centre of your universe for 2 years so this is a huge adjustment for him.
Please don't think he is mad at you, that is not how dogs perceive the world.

It's a good sign that he wil play with Hazel.

I would get the vet to check that he doesn't have an urinary tract infection, in case that might be causing the peeing overnight.

Generally adults adjust and in time, they become the very best of friends but it can take anything from a few weeks to quite a few months.

If you feel things are getting worse rather than better, and there isn't any physical cause for it, I would suggest getting advice from a force free trainer to give you some ideas about how to handle the stituation.

Also see this recent thread on the same issue, for advice:

Back