• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

jumping up...

That's a great photo Judy.

Lily, no way do I mean to imply you should let the dog on the couch or any other surface you don't want. No offense intended, however, I suspect you may eventually give in. Not because you should, I absolutely believe your angel gets all the love and attention it deserves. I just found myself giving in on things, I didn't think I would. I actually applaud you if you stick to your rules. It's just that they give you those sad cavalier eyes and sometimes you give in, in spite of your intent. I was adamant about not wanting Tucker to sleep in my bed. I didn't want dog hair, or anything that might be on him from the yard, etc... I tried it for a few months, then everytime my nieces slept over he'd sleep with them in the other room. After they went home he'd kinda whine beside my bed at night, he's got a perfectly good dog bed in my bedroom, but he wanted to lay next to me, or someone, and I felt bad, eventually gave in. My bed doesn't look as pristine as it once did, but I wimped out. Couldn't hold my ground.

Keep me posted. I'm not judging you honey. I'm genuinely interested in what every one has to say at this site. Everyone offers what works best for them. FYI - Tucker will put himself in a room by himself at times. Which I understand is unusual for a cavalier. Since he can lay on any bed or piece of furniture he wants, he seems to alternate. Sometimes, at night he puts himself to bed, other times he waits until I go to bed. Sometimes when I'm sitting in my chair in the living room, Tucker jumps off my lap and curls up in his own dog bed, that is in front of the fireplace, alongside my chair. My friend has Tucker's brother, and she says he always wants to be sitting on someone. Tucker does not have to. Right now, while I'm typing he's laying on a bed in the same room, but he's not trying to get my attention, or trying to jump up on me.

Sam can sit with us in the sofa and he gets up there to sleep sometimes. If you really don't want him doing that you could try to place some aluminium (you know, like you use for lunch) on the couch so that when he jumps in it it makes a horrible noise that scares him and he probably won't try it again after some time, and it would be a really good idea to train him for obedience. If he is very young, you can start at home, there are a lot of great bookt to start training without taking a class. The younger they are, the faster they learn. I started with Sam to train when he was 3 months old and it really paid off!
good luck!! ;)

if you put their bed on the floor next to the sofa where you sit, you could also take some of your clothes like some used (not just laundered) sweat pants, and put those in her bed, something with your scent strongly on it.
:d*g:

that's a great idea too!! Sam allways lies down on something I wore, no matter what it is or how big it is, even a hanky I put in my pocket that day!

Yes, if I drop any laundry on the way to the washing machine, a dog will take it. And Amber has shown an alarming gift for pulling things down that *should* be out of her reach. She seems especially fond of snagging my scarves... whether to lie on them or play with them I don't know, but I'm losing count of the number of times I've come down to find her happily ensconsed in a pile of coats and scarves...

lily's mum (mom?), it is possible to stick to your guns. Most people here sleep with their Cavs. I never have. Both of mine sleep in the crate in the kitchen- admittedly, they now sleep together, but initially they slept apart. Also admittedly, I have the advantage of being able to 'switch off' the sound of any yapping/whining courtesy of hearing aids, so they *usually* soon learn it doesn't get them anywhere... but that's rather different from keeping a cav off the furniture. My grandmother is the most insanely houseproud person I know (I mean, she complains if a magazine isn't returned to the precise angle on the exact place it was at...) and as I said, even she has found that it's easier to capitulate.

Also, it's easy now to say 'no sofas' but when Lily becomes older and is more able to jump on and off things... good luck to you! I *wanted* to keep Amber off the sofas (simply because mine are high and I worried about the impact of jumping up and down on tender young bones) but as soon as she became capable of getting up and down under her own steam, and she's like a cat...I gave it up as a bad job. However, I tend to use the armchair and so the dogs will often prefer to be with me on that- perhaps get an older chair that she *can* use?

Lily,

I'm sorry I have nothing to offer about keeping your dog off the sofa, but I do want to say don't worry about what other people think. You have every right to run your household any way you want. It sounds to me that you have one rule that some others don't agree with, but otherwise you seem very intuned to your dog. We let ours on the sofa, but not to sleep with us. Recently, someone really made us feel like you know what, because I mentioned how she doesn't get to sleep with us, but she is afraid of storms and I let her sleep with my 9 year old granddaughter, but that when the thunder clapped, the dog would jump from the bed and go under the bed. Oh my gosh, I was told just how sad that was etc etc etc. I think they forgot the sentence that said, the DOG decided to go under the bed, we didn't put her there. All I can figure is, dog's are den creatures and she felt more comfortable in a closed in tight area resembling a den, rather than on the bed in the arms of a human during a storm that she was so afraid of. It took me awhile to convince myself that I was not some horrible unfeeling human. By the way, it was nobody on this or any other Cavalier forum.

Sometimes I think this method of communcation leaves a lot to be desired and can sometimes cause misunderstanding and ill feelings when it was not intended. I really have no suggestions for keeping her off, but I do think you can get it accomplished with time and consistancey.
Nean

cheers you 2 & no i wont give up & lily will realise that bless her. I am determined & she knows it......

As for sleeping in any of our beds...... well i wont go their as you will all think i'm strict & heartless but i'm not...

i could give my opinions on varios topics here but withdraw :sl*p:

lily said:
cheers you 2 & no i wont give up & lily will realise that bless her. I am determined & she knows it......

As for sleeping in any of our beds...... well i wont go their as you will all think i'm strict & heartless but i'm not...:

No I don't. I just don't think you know what you're missing that's all....

lily said:
i could give my opinions on varios topics here but withdraw :sl*p:

Please do.... you probably think we're all completely mad - I know that I am, so, no surprises there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tucker will lay on both clean and dirty clothes. If I gather up the dirty laundry from around the house, sometimes it exceeds the laundry basket and he inevitably lays atop whatever is on the floor. However, he also likes to lay atop my clean clothes. I often lay out what I'm about to wear, while I'm in the shower, he makes himself cozy on slacks and tops that are on my bed.

I have heard of taking a towel or small blanket or whatever your pup is going to us in his bed, and you sleeping on it for a few nights to get your scent on it, then put it in their bed.

Nean

Joanne M said:
Tucker will lay on both clean and dirty clothes. If I gather up the dirty laundry from around the house, sometimes it exceeds the laundry basket and he inevitably lays atop whatever is on the floor. However, he also likes to lay atop my clean clothes. I often lay out what I'm about to wear, while I'm in the shower, he makes himself cozy on slacks and tops that are on my bed.

Sounds just like my two! Merlin also likes to try and pull dirty washing through the holes of the washing basket - keeps him amused for hours :lol: I think part of the cavalier character is to snuggle with their owners whether it be on the floor or the sofa! Best of luck in keeping your Lily off the sofa, I tried with mine, and failed and I am happy about it!

Each to their own though :D

I've waited around and read everything that everyone has put up here... and IMO...

To Lily-
You have way more determination and patience in your pinkie than I do in my whole body!! Please, do let me know if you have success with such a task and how you do it!

I have a family member who visits that is allergic to dogs (which is kinda a bummer because our entire family is a dog-loving and owning family minus this bil and his wife[theallergic]), and it would be nice to be able to have her visit without getting accosted by the dog on the couch as well! :sl*p: Okay accosted is not the right word, but I am sure that is how she feels.

To my innerself -
My dh thinks that our dog will be trained to stay off the couch as well, and I have said he is imagining things as I will always want my dog on my lap or by my side! If this makes me a bad mommy for not inforcing one rule... ahk... then I am a bad mommy! I am just being realistic for my situation...

I think I have adopted these rules for my home:
(please keep in mind this is to be read as a lighthearted funny thing)

All Non-Pet Owners Who Visit & Like to Complain About Our Pets
1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it "fur"niture.)
3. To you, it's an animal, To me, he/she is an adopted son/daughter who is short, hairy, walks on all fours, doesn't speak clearly!

So... all in all... to each thier own!

Back