• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

LactoSorb SE mesh instead of titanium for CM cranioplasty surgeries

RodRussell

I attended a seminar by Dr. Thomas Schubert last night at the ACKCSC national specialty in Orlando. It was an enjoyable seminar, and I got to meet a few club members, including Renee Bruns, Tina Sterling, and Patty Kanan.

I also learned a few things from Dr. Schubert, who is a board certified neurologist at the University of Florida in Gainesville. In particular, he is performing cranioplasty surgeries using a fabric mesh called LactoSorb SE, instead of titanium. It reportedly is equal in strength to titanium at initial placement, retains 70% of its initial strength for the first eight weeks, and then gradually is eliminated from the body. It is manufactured by Biomet Microfixation, LLC of Jacksonville, Florida. Its website is at http://www.lorenzsurgical.com/ and is not for the faint-of-heart.

Dr. Schubert also said that one of the reasons titanium has been used is that, unlike steel and other metals, it does not interfere with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). He also refers to CM as COMS. He follows Clare Rusbridge's SM breeding protocol, and he referred to her website, several times.

He is offering reduced-rate MRIs. Details at http://www.cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm#Reduced_Rate
--
Rod Russell
Orlando, Florida

Thanks for that information, Rod -- very interesting and very useful to have another low cost centrein the US, where they are badly needed. Wonder if that new offering is in part due to one of the pet SM cavalier owners here on the board who was, I know, working quite hard in her home state of Florida to encourage low cost screening and talking to some of the vet schools and MRI centres? :) I do know she had said she was fairly sure one low cost centre in Florida was close to happening. If her work as a sole pet owner lobbying for such a service has paid off in this way for the breed and dog owners, perhaps it will set a model for other arrangements that could be fought for by the national and regional breed clubs? :wggle:

Back