• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Latest crisis

Princess Buttercup

After the bout of gastroenteritis a few weeks ago, I thought we were due a period of good health... but I was wrong.
She went off her food a few days ago - but it was more than her regular pickiness. She stopped following me around, and stayed curled up on a cushion on the sofa instead. She was also licking at her "bits" a lot. Brought her in to the vet yesterday and he couldn't see anything wrong, but with the stage she's at in her cycle and her symptoms he thought she might have an infection building in her uterus. Had her spayed today, just in case... and sure enough, she had Pyometra :eek: Luckily we caught it early, and she's not too bad - have to see what her blood tests are like tomorrow, and hopefully will be able to take her home then. Fingers crossed she'll have a bit of good luck soon!!!

Wow that was lucky you caught it in time.

Same thing happen with my Peke/JRT but she was 16 at the time, I knew something was wrong but the vet kept testing her and nothing. Final blood test she staying in hospital and I phoned up and found out that she had an operation as they found out she had Pyometra. She recovered really well afterwards

I hope your little one is the same.:)

That was a close one, well done for acting so fast. It could have been a lot worse. Hope she's feeling ok after her spay :flwr:

Same thing happened to my bosses Peke Jade a good few years back, she was 5 at the time - she recovered well too.

Oh dear, I'm glad they worked out what it was in time. Let us know how she feels today. :flwr:

I suppose with her symptoms, and the fact she hadn't been spayed it would always be their number one concern. We had planned to get it done soon anyway, so they did it as a precaution - and luckily had an open surgery slot the day after I brought her in. I've always been worried that I'm reading too much into "symptoms" she has, and that they'll think I'm a paranoid owner.... but I don't care any more. The vet said that normally when they see cases with pyometra, that the dogs are really ill, and it was great to catch it while she was still quite healthy. So I'll continue to get her checked out if I don't think she's quite right... I'd prefer to be thought of as paranoid, than have anything happen to my baby.

Well done for catching it early...I never worry about bothering vets or doctors with dogs or kids, better to be safe than sorry..you did right!

Sick Baby

I have had the exact same experience today - as you know Princess Buttercup - my little lady was acting a bit dodgy and licking at her bits, I rang the vet this morning and she was in for an emergence spay this afternoon. She was diagnosed with pyometra but her womb was reasonably clear, but left much longer and we could have had a problem. She was also flushed and is on antibiotics. We are spoiling the lot of them tonight by letting them sleep upstairs with us and she is currently curled up beside me.

Well my little one is already in better form than before we brought her in. She's loving having chicken for every meal, and is already trying (and succeeding) to steal food from our golden retriever. She's much brighter, and seems to be more like her normal self. Phew!!! Hope the improvement continues :)

That's wonderful how both of you caught it so early! (y)

I do the same thing, if they look like they're feeling a little 'off' I take them to the vet, as Pippa says - better safe than sorry!

I shouldn't have posted so soon about her being in great form - her poo is quite liquid, so had to call the vet. She's to be fasted for 24 hrs to see if that helps, and if it's not resolved by monday, I have to bring her back in. She's on strong antibiotics, so they should sort her out... but it's still something she could do without...

Sick Doggies

Bummer about the poo (no pun intended ;)) hope everything is back to normal soon.

My little lady is very under the weather today - narky with my other dogs and very clingy (to my OH :rolleyes:). I think the antibiotics are making her feel pretty dodgy, I'm hoping that in a few days everything (and everyone) will be flying!

Had to bring her back to the vet this morning, as the poo issue hasn't resolved itself. They've kept her in to put her on a drip, as they said it's the best thing to sort her out. She also had an antibiotic shot for her tummy, so fingers crossed she'll be back to me tomorrow. She was very upset and shaking going in today, and I felt horrible leaving her. Our vets are lovely, lovely people, but I am so sick of seeing them right now. I just want all this to be over, and for my little baby to get back to normal, and be able to stay at home for more than a few days...

What a shame the wee lamb is back at the vets....I am keeping my fingers crossed that she is able to get home:xfngr: and get back to her family.
Keep us all posted.

Sorry to hear your little girl is unwell again,hopefully she will be back home with you soon.

I am just now seeing this...school keeping me really busy. I hope she is doing much better today and will be home soon.
Will keep my fingers crossed.

Setback

Bad news about the set back, hope she is feeling better soon (and can get spoiled at home!) (y)

My little lady was back in the vet too - not eating well and having problems pooing (the reverse of the problems you have been having), so her glands were done and she is on some anti-inflamatories to help. She was in much better form when we got back from the vet and had no problems on her walk so hopefully it's just a minor problem.

At this stage, I'm afraid to be optimistic....but little madam is back home, and delighted to be here. She's on 2 different antibiotics, a probiotic and painkillers, but is being very good about taking them. Her appetite is great too - which is a relief! Fingers crossed she continues to recover now, and we don't have to bring her in again!!!

Back