• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily is constipaed...Help please!

Karlin said:
More generally, I really hate crating as a long-term daytime option ...By the time a dog is about 6-7 months, they can generally do very well in say a full room like a kitchen, made dog/puppy proof.

I have that luxery of working from home too, so for the first 6 mths the crate and x-pen work. But at 6mths I dont think I'd trust an x-pen to hold up. Our layout doesnt permit the kitchen from being blocked off from den, living and dining room. But we do have a main floor laundry room that has about 6' x 2' area plus a little "L" area their crate would fit. It sounds like enough space to me for those few times a year something comes up for more than a few hrs.

With our new dog I am thinking of using a pet door. Those who use them, do you lock them when your out to prevent your dog going out? I have visons of a dog getting stuck or for some reason not going back in when they should.

Kody said:
With our new dog I am thinking of using a pet door. Those who use them, do you lock them when your out to prevent your dog going out? I have visons of a dog getting stuck or for some reason not going back in when they should.

There are many kinds of hazards that can happen to a dog outside unsupervised, depending on where you live. I've heard some horror stories. And cavaliers in particular are house dogs who would be out of place alone outdoors.

Cathy T said:
I don't know how to explain it but our trainer explained that at night their bodies go into a different "rhythm" which allows them to hold it longer. When my guys into their crate at 9:00 they go to sleep and are sound asleep all night until 6:00 in the a.m. During the day they tend to nap rather than deep sleep.

Isn't this called circadian rhythms? 24 hour bodily cycles which have to do with sleep and other processes?

zack has the run of the downstairs of the house during the night, i fence off the upstairs where the bedrooms and catbox are. Zack almost always sleeps on the love seat. He is there when i go upstairs to go to bed and he is in the exact same place when i come downstairs in the morning. It looks like he hasn't moved all night, even though it can be 8 hours and more. He doesn't even get up and run to me. He stays on his spot and i go to him and cuddle with him for a while, he does not act like he is eager to go pee. Then, i ask if he wants to go outside and he always jumps down and goes toward the door, picking up a toy along the way and greeting the cat playfully. when he goes outside, more often than not, he doesn't pee right away, he runs around looking for squirrels, then he pees kind of casually. It seems like his body goes into a No Pee mode during the night. but not only that--it seems like he feels in some way thta he has to or wants to stay in that one spot, even after daylight, even when he hears me upstairs moving around, even when i walk into the living room where he is. This perplexes me.

judy said:
There are many kinds of hazards that can happen to a dog outside unsupervised, depending on where you live. I've heard some horror stories. And cavaliers in particular are house dogs who would be out of place alone outdoors.

I dont know anyone with a pet door and havent had one before. You painted a good enough picture without the actual stories... My lab when young got into trouble in the house if i didnt watch her (gotta love those waste bins with kleenex to get at - ewww) but would just lie in the sun out back. But your point is taken, I KNEW she was in the backyard versus her just going out without my knowledge. Thanks

Back