• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily Vomiting Pinky Froth

Could Lily's interesting colour simply be something she's picked up and eaten (and then had the sense to get rid of)? I knew someone who freaked out at her dog's dark red stools, that looked just like blood - turned out to be beetroot that the dog had dug up from the vegetable patch! Lost any red biros or crayons? Or socks with red dye? There's so many colorants in things these days...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Yes it is the pink colour that would worry me -- white and yellow is pretty common and generally not a worry if it is occasional rather than a regular issue.

I had a google around and actually several vet sites say pink froth needs to be checked and is unlikely to be caused by stomach bleeding or vomit and generally indicates bleeding in the respiratory tract. I've never had pink vomit of this sort or heard of anyone with it, so it does seem unusual.

For example, this is one vet replying to the same symptoms of pink frothy vomit:

From a pet health site:

from http://www.pethealth101.com/gastro_intestinal/vomit.shtml

Probably it's nothing serious but the vet has treated this as a stomach upset when other experts seem to indicate this is more likely to be a respiratory issue of some sort.

This is quite concerning Karlin - I would be keeping a very close eye on Lily if she was my dog.

These are the symptoms of Lungworm:

http://www.lungworm.co.uk/scripts/pages/en/has_my_dog_got_lungworm/index.php

When Peaches had a bad reaction to Metacam she vomited up pink froth, her intestinal lining was breaking down.

However I agree that normally the stomach acid would reduce fresh blood to coffee grounds appearance, as it would be partially digested.

The dark chocolate pools concern me :(

This website has photos of diarrhoea :grnyuk:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/signs/diarrhoea.htm

It is helpful for giving descriptions to the vet (y)

See what she produces tonight -

Is there any really distinctive odour to the poo [beyond the normal! - does it smell like tomatoes or anything?]

Obviously if you are feeding chicken and rice, it's going to be light coloured...is the rice well digested or can you see grains?

When Peaches had a bad reaction to Metacam she vomited up pink froth, her intestinal lining was breaking down.

However I agree that normally the stomach acid would reduce fresh blood to coffee grounds appearance, as it would be partially digested.
The dark chocolate pools concern me :(

This website has photos of diarrhoea :grnyuk:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/signs/diarrhoea.htm

It is helpful for giving descriptions to the vet (y)

See what she produces tonight -

Is there any really distinctive odour to the poo [beyond the normal! - does it smell like tomatoes or anything?]

Obviously if you are feeding chicken and rice, it's going to be light coloured...is the rice well digested or can you see grains?

Why did I decide to read this in the middle of getting dinner ready - :yuk:

Hope Lily is ok now.

So glad that Lily seemed fine this morning Brian. Well done to Dawn for being so quick off the mark.

I am concerned about what others have suggested regarding Lungworm though. If Lily was mine I would be watching her carefully.

Im so glad little Lily seems to be on the mend today Bri:) but like has been said already (& i know you will!)keep a real close eye to any not right colours from either end & i sincerely hope there are no more of them

Brian, I was just thinking. Not long ago you posted about some new food you have purchased. I am wondering if this might have anything to do with it....just a thought that is all. (y)

Brian, I was just thinking. Not long ago you posted about some new food you have purchased. I am wondering if this might have anything to do with it....just a thought that is all. (y)

That was my initial thought too when I read the first post from Brian. Perhaps its a possibility.

Hello Ladies

Lily says to thank you all for your best wishes and concern .And Dad says all yesterday she seemed perfectly normal and thankfully no more liquid poohs but then she only had her first turkey and rice meal last night .With your advice regarding possible lungworm infection I phoned the vets and asked the question and was told that he had considered lungworm but dismissed it as he thought she wasn't showing sufficient symptoms and that the pinkish color in her froth was no more than a slight bloody discharge probably caused through her over retching .She has had no more attempts at vomiting and on early morning pick ups today there was no sign of anything unusual from anybody though I shall keep a beady eye on them all for any cross infection and keep Lily on her turkey and rice food till at least Sat/Sun .
Tania the new meat variety is in the freezer still unused as I normally try and keep about six weeks supply of meat/chicken on stock and then just rotate supplies on a date basis ,so as of now I am feeding meat that I bought back end of November ,I also keep five packs of chicken wings in and feed one pack a week and then replace that as soon as used .So in case of nuclear attack the girls have six weeks supply of food in and I have two boxes of cornflakes. :)As Lily sleeps in our room she was sitting on my chest as normal at 6.00 am this morning attempting to lick the end of my nose ,which I declined .

So in case of nuclear attack the girls have six weeks supply of food in and I have two boxes of cornflakes. :)

Which is why most of us would like, if there is such a thing as reincarnation, to come back as one of your dogs. :smile:

Hugs-1.gif

Back