• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily's weight check

Oh aren't they just lovely...we used to visit friends with cats, and Rupert always dived into the litter tray...don't know why they find it SO appealing LOL

Good luck Lily for Weds, will be thinking of you both and sending lots of positive thoughts

Doggies love kitty litter boxes don't they!! When I did have cats also I got a covered litter box and that worked well.

Mary that avatar pic is so funny. :lol:

A covered box works for jaspar and leo but Lily sticks her head right in and roots around for pieces of 'kitty roca'. :yuk:

Well that Lily....a girl's got to find the food when on a diet I guess :D :D :D

Thanks Karlin....that is Scout helping me get ready for work. If sitting on the stool doesn't get my attention he jumps on the counter and watches me from there. What a boy....I think he is half cat!

Karlin said:
...Actually my house is small and the litter box is in the bathroom and I could hear her banging around in there. It is very hard to prevent her going in -- because Quincy, one of my cats, has only three legs and the missing leg is a front leg (harder for them to balance than losing a back leg) my options are limited with the litter box -- I can't just put it up higher.

Me too, Fluffy is aging and has stiffness in her legs, her walking seems a bit difficult.

Also you can buy cat litter boxes that have top entries and are built into a kind of dog proof box. If Lily stays here I may have to consider something of that sort.

I've never heard of that. Do you know what they would be called, if searching google?

She gets spayed on Wednesday BTW.

maybe she have a smooth speedy recovery--good luck!

Well, Lily's in for her spay this morning! The vet just loved her -- last time she saw her was when she was at 7.8kg so she couldn't believe it was the same dog and how small she is generally.

She was weighed again and had dropped another .2 of a kilo so she is now at 6.4kg or 14.1 lbs so she lost nearly another half pound in the past week or so.

So the vet, Susan, agreed she should probably be around 12.5 lbs as a normal weight so I am setting that as her target.

She will also be microchipped and have her nails trimmed as they are very long -- I am wary of cutting them myself. :shock:

Good girl, Lily! Hope she has a fast recovery! :flwr:

Karlin, you gave us all the wonderful links for nail trimming! Just kidding, I actually took Chocolate in to the vet yesterday evening to get her nails trimmed. With the black nails, I am afraid to take too much off, so I have the vet techs do it every so often. Then I take a bit off every two weeks.

{{{{{{{{Lily}}}}}}}} good luck little angel. I'm sure Momma will give you a nice treat when you come home ;) xxxxx

I did do some trimming of her nails, in my defense!! :lol: Her nails are extremely long though and she was not comfortable with me trimming them -- and a lot of her nails are black. I figured while she is out, the vets can trim them well back with no discomfort to her -- hope they remember to do this!

I've spoken to them and she is doing fine; I'll go get her in a bit.

Great!! So nice to have that behind her. I hope her recovery is fast! :D :flwr:

So glad to hear that Lily is doing well!! :) You must be so excited and anxious to go and get her - I know I was with Kosmo. I am so lucky that he only has 1 black nail. I do have to admit though that I leave that one a smidgen longer than I do the others. icon_blshing I am a weiner and would feel terrible if I hurt him so I just eliminate the possibilities. :)

That is great news Karlin, Way to go Lily on the weight loss I bet she feels a whole lot better since coming to live with you Karlin.

What a gal, you have a wonderful heart getting her back into good health and shape.

Let us know how she is doing once you get her home.

As for the black nails, lucky me Darby only has 1 white nail.
I find if I trim them just a wee bit every 2 weeks I am not cutting into the quik plus I use cat clippers. They are much smaller and easier to use of him. The Vet said just to take a smidge off and if I don't see the quik take another wee smidge off. It is working as unlike you Karlin I am bad and don't walk them near as much as I should, I am sure once you have
gotten Lily's nails trimmed all that walking you do will keep them in order.

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Just an update on Lily.

I had her to the vet during the week when I needed to get some flea stuff, so they all fussed over her and I weighed her on their scales. She is now at 5.9kg or 13lbs!

On August 16th, her last visit, she was 6.4kg or 14.1 lbs.

She started at about 18 lbs in early June. So she has lost 5lbs, nearly a third of her body weight. She's at about her right weight -- she could be anywhere between 12-13 lbs and look pretty good. She is still so shaggy though -- I may get her just evened out at the groomers and get her nails clipped etc.

She looks like such a different dog. Before her face was really fat and her nose was like a little pudgy beak coming out of it. She looked more like a yorkie shaped muzzle on a cavalier body (someone actually asked me if she was a fat yorkie cross, poor Lily!). But now she looks like a cavalier and her face is actually very pretty. She's not even pudgy any more. Her ears are lengthening too which looks very nice on her, and her tail is coming in -- someone had cut off all the feathering and trimmed her ears to the ear leather.

Some pictures once I get my camera working -- I discarded a folder from the camera software that I need -- :sl*p: -- so can;t take pics at the moment.

oh wow Karlin, Lily is really doing well. I am sure you're quite proud of yourself. I am glad she has fit in with your clan so nicely. I can't wait until you get your camera back up and running so I can see some new :snap: !! :) Take care! :flwr:

:w*w: That's great that she lost all the weight! I'll bet she's gorgeous - I thought she was a cutie all along! :flwr:

It's great to hear that. You have set a real life example for others who want to help their dogs lose weight. Your description of how she looks now is tantalizing. No fair that you don't have your camera working. can't wait to see! staying tuned... :snap:

Back