• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lucy has an Ulcer in her eye

Sue.k

Hi everyone,
Sorry I havent been around for a while, I hurt my back so I have been out of action. I had to bring poor little Lucy to the vet last night, I just noticed her eye was a bit red and she couldnt open it fully. My poor little baby has an ulcer. She was so brave, the vet gave her an injection and some drops last night and she didnt make a sound. I put the drops in her eye this morning and she yelped and tried to scratch her eye!!! I felt so sorry for her, my neighbour is checking on her today for me as I am in work, so far she seems to be doing ok. I just have to watch it and keep her away from bright lights, if it gets any worse I have to bring her back :( Hopefully it should clear up in the next few days :xfngr:

:xfngr: That Lucy's eye gets better soon and she does well today while you are at work. So nice to have a neighbor that will check up on her! Hope your back feels better too.

Oh poor Lucy! I know how you feel right now having gone through this recently with Princess. Happily the eye does heal quite quickly as the actual tears have a natural healing quality to them as well. Give lucy a big kiss and a gentle :hug: from me won't you? :xfngr: for a speedy recovery for her, will watch for news!!

Thank you all, she is still very sore, she is so brave though. I hate to see her in pain, she is such a gentle little puppy :luv:

One of my foster cavs had an ulcer though it was painful for a day or two it soon started to heal with the drops. Poor Lucy give her a :hug: from me and the guys

Lucy's eye is still very sore, I put the drops in this morning and she let out a little cry and tried to scratch. If it hasnt cleared up by the weekend I am going to bring her back to the vet, I am worried though because he said that what they do in bad situations is stitch the eye closed for a while so the dog cant scratch it! I really dont like the sounds of that, my poor little angel will be terrified. :( hopefully it wont come to this :xfngr:

Lucy's eye is still very sore, I put the drops in this morning and she let out a little cry and tried to scratch. If it hasnt cleared up by the weekend I am going to bring her back to the vet, I am worried though because he said that what they do in bad situations is stitch the eye closed for a while so the dog cant scratch it! I really dont like the sounds of that, my poor little angel will be terrified. :( hopefully it wont come to this :xfngr:

I know this can sound very dramatic indeed, but I know of several dogs who have had to have this done and it is amazing how well they adapt to it and also the way in which they heal.

The dogs eye does not have a blood supply, they have to "grow" it, this is the red ring and all the white misting in the eye, I went through this with Princess as I have mentioned previously, sadly in her case although her eye healed up she went on to develop Glaucoma in it (high pressure) and is now on drops daily, but happily in no discomfort.

Am sure Lucy's eye will soon heal up!! :hug: :flwr:

Thank you everyone, I gave her the drops this morning, when I was leaving to go to work I heard her crying and went in to her, she was scratching it again. My O/h is there all day so he will keep me updated on how she is, it just breaks my heart that she is in pain and I cant do anything :(

Poor little Lucy sorry to hear that she is still in pain. Maybe the op would be best at least it would give her poor little eye a chance to heal.:flwr:

Thanks again everyone. Just spoke to my o/h Lucy seems to be in good form, she is scratching a bit though. Will bring her back on Saturday if there is no improvemnt

If you do have to take her back then get your vet to check her tear production, it's a simple litmus paper test on the eye, this will count out Dry Eye which is what Princess has, if Lucy has this then it could explain why things aren't moving along as quickly as her eye isn't getting the natural healing tears it should do normally.

:xfngr: that Lucy will soon be healing up quickly!

Had lucy back at the vet yesterday because she was yelping, she has luxating patella and the ulcer still hasnt healed yet! Because the vet was on call he only gave me pain killers for her so I have to bring her back during the week. He has said they might have to stitch the 3rd eyelid to help heal the ulcer and he has suggested she have an operation for her knee, I am so upset, I cant believe she has to go through all this :(

Had lucy back at the vet yesterday because she was yelping, she has luxating patella and the ulcer still hasnt healed yet! Because the vet was on call he only gave me pain killers for her so I have to bring her back during the week. He has said they might have to stitch the 3rd eyelid to help heal the ulcer and he has suggested she have an operation for her knee, I am so upset, I cant believe she has to go through all this :(

Hi Sue!

So very sorry to hear this has still not healed up and that there is now another problem with her knee as well, as I said in my previous message to you, have the vet do a tear production test first, if she has dry eye then this is why her eye is not healing, this is what happened with my dog about 3 months ago, her ulcer was not healing either, once we got on top of the tear production thing it healed very quickly indeed.

Have to say that I am VERY surprised that your vet only gave painkillers for what is now a long standing condition and did not examine further, if this was me I would be asking for a referal to an opthalmologist rather than having the eye stitched up right about now!!

Hope this helps?

I have to say I wasnt very happy with the vet, I moved house a year ago and have had to change vets, this is only my second time dealing with the clinic, the 1st time I was happy with the vet but this guy didnt seem too bothered (It was Sunday and I think he was more a cattle vet) I will make an appointment to see the original guy, he was very helpful. Thanks for your advice, I will certainly make sure this is resolved as I cant bare to see her in pain. She has stopped scratching at her eye but it is still weeping a good bit. I am so worried about her leg now, the thought of her having an operation is killing me, she really doesnt deserve this after all she has been through :(

Back