• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Microchipping of dogs

flossie-spottie

In Belgium where i live microchipping for dogs is obligated by law. Is this the same in other country's?
It is a wonderful system to rule out lost doggy's, or abondoned dogs. What do you think?

To my knowledge... it is opional in the US to microchip (i wish it was a law), but manditory to licence... ect ect.

For dh and I, it is not even a question... it could cost and arm and a leg and I still am pretty sure we'd be getting it done!! I mean such a wonderful invention... hmmm wonder if they make a chip for lost husbands... lol!

And lots of places have leash laws, which are very smart in-my-opinion. Even in parks and such.

No, in the U.S. chipping is not a requirement, but I wish it was. I feel strongly enough about microchipping that we chip all our puppies just before they go to their forever homes and the cost is included in the cost of our dogs.

Licensing is not required everywhere, usually just in the cities, I think. The city I live in (a suburb of Minneapolis) dropped the requirement for a license several years ago. I believe all they require now is a tag with owners name and address and a rabies tag. We talked to animal control about this once when she was doing our annual inspection and she said they found there was almost no benefit for a lot of cost to the City. As far as I know, we are the only city in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that does not require a license.

huh, that is interesting... I just assumed it was manditory everywhere...

Lol,

Well in Ohio (Columbus at least), you have to have a rabies and licence tag on your dog or you can be fined.

Rave

ps... I love the Min/St. Paul airport, It is like a shopping mall!

I've moved this thread as it was in Bruce's forum for his cavalier litters. It actually belongs over here in the General discussion section. Bruce's forum was specifically for discussing his litters. (y)

I wish it were mandatory too ! All of mine are microchipped but I always worry that if they get lost the finder wont know enough to bring them in to be scanned .

In Belgium every vet has a scanner to scan all of the dogs who come in. Every new puppy that comes from a breeder or is born at home must go to the vets to put a microchip on. Every vet you go or at the animalclinic from university will immediately look with the scanner for knowing the dogs name, owner, date of birth, name of breeder and origin...
A rabies tag is not obligated because every puppy who is chipped can only be chipped when he had all of his injections as a puppy and the vet will note in the computer...

In Australia, it is mandatory in some states, and not in others. However, to the best of my knowledge it is mandatory that all RESCUE dogs, nation wide MUST be microchipped pre new homes.

Whilst the idea behind microchipping is a great one, it hasnt always been a success over here. We have many cases of chips moving, and scanners missing them due to this fact.

Personally, I have my dogs done, but I only do it while they are under a GA, normally while being desexed or having a dental etc.

Kyla

Not manditory here but when we got freddie he was chipped and it was included in the price of him!

Brill idea i think as i would hate to loss my little puppy! :)

I have heard of the chips migrating, but I understand that is more a problem of chips years back. Supposedly, the more recent chips are not supposed to migrate as much. One of the keys to keep them migrating is to keep the dog quiet for 24 hours after insertion.

We have a reader, so we can check our puppies a couple days later (we have never had one move). And when we have people drop off dogs for dog-sitting, we will sometimes scan then too, but I think once the chip has "set", it won't move. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to your vet a few days later and have them scan to be sure everything is OK. We did once have a chip that was fine before the vet inserted it, but after insertion it wouldn't work. Had to insert another.

Hi Bruce_H :)

I couldnt help it but grin when I read your poste.

What your refering to as 'microchips of the past', maybe 'of the past' in the States, however down here in OZ, they are what we currently have.

We are nowhere near as advanced as you are in vet medicine, infact I believe you even have surgery options available for MVD in your country including valve replacement???

MVD in this country is virtually a death sentence, you sit back watch and wait while it kills. We dont have many, if any options. You practically need to sell your house to see a cardiologist, and thats just for the consult!

As for SM, If you took a group of twenty 'reputable' cav breeders in Australia and asked them what it was, id guarantee you that at least 15 of them would have no idea what you were even talking about.

SM screening in this country is in the thousands per doggie, and hence, the only stock in this country that is tested are our lovely UK and Sweed imports.

Fingers crossed we will catch up with you all soon though!

Oh and by the way, the fact you have your own chip scanner is mind boggling! They are so expensive here that not every vet practise even has one, many of them 'hire' them, and then, theres a fight for who gets em!

Kyla

I don't think it's mandatory in the UK either, we got ours done (I had to turn away, it was the only injection that made her yelp haha!).. I think if you want to insure your baby they like you to have it done.. and if you're applying for a pet passport 8)

In Florida I know for sure that it is neccissary for the dogs to have a current rabies tag that is registered through your county. If you are late you get these wonderful (sense the sarcasm) little delinquant notices in your mail that are blatantly obvious and for the world to see!!! I guess they do their job. What I like is that it cost $10 for the tag of a nuetered/spaid dog and $30 is they are not. It is more of an incentive for unresponsible people to fix their dogs. The operation would pay for itself after two years!!

If you adopt from a shelter then all of those dogs and cats are chipped before they can leave the shelter, which is excellent.

In NC it seems to depend on the county. We microchipped Bishop as soon as we could, but we don't have licenses and aren't required to have tags on him in our county according to our vet. In the county right next to us, they have a tax (license I suppose) per dog...also 10$, but 75$ if not spayed or neutered. Although, in verifying this, I did learn that NC law requires that dogs wear rabies tags at all times :oops: icon_whistling I did not know that!

Does that mean that all your dogs wear collars AND their harness? (Bishop wears nothing at home)

My fil (the vet) ALWAYS scans stray dogs that are brought in by people. In about 75% of the cases they do have a chip or tag and are reunited.

Just the other day, they woke up to find 2 labs on thier back porch just camping out. Fil got out the scanner and by noon the doggies were back with thier owners...

SOOOO PRO-Microchipping!

We get puppies that we breed microchipped when they go for their checkup just before they go to their forever homes, around 11 weeks old or so. Never really paid much attention to what it costs, just a necessary part of the cost of breeding, but I think it's around $35 or so. A better question might be: how much would it cost if your dog got lost and there was no way to identify him? A little brutal, but that's the way we think about a lot of the things we do for our dogs.

I would say that I have always seen it for around $35-$40, but there are some shelters that have "puppy events" where you can get it all done for $15-$20.

:)

It's optional in the UK too...

I did originally have all my dogs microchipped...but I won't have TedBear done as he has mod/severe Syringo, there is enough going on in that area without causing him any more problems :(

It's a tough one, I really do think that all dogs should have permanent ID, but tattoos can be altered...and I've heard of stories of dogs' ears being cut off to remove the tattoo :yikes ...so that only leave micro chipping.

I do have my chipped dog checked at least once per year at the vets.

What we need to encourage is that all vets check all newly registered dogs for chips, as that would pick up some of the lost/stolen dogs if the ID throws up a different owner...

Sadly not all dog wardens even have access to scanners, which seems crazy as they can be bought for under £100 here...

Nicki said:
What we need to encourage is that all vets check all newly registered dogs for chips, as that would pick up some of the lost/stolen dogs if the ID throws up a different owner...

Couldn't agree more, Nicki. I know at our Vets surgery, any newly registered dog or rescue dog that goes in, gets scanned. I'm all for it too. I wouldn't be offended at all if someone scanned my dogs - i would be glad that they were trying to prevent dog theft :D

Nicki said:
Sadly not all dog wardens even have access to scanners, which seems crazy as they can be bought for under £100 here...

Sad really as well as disgusting - I wonder how many stupid schemes the councils who refuse to supply scanners actually donate their funding too though :roll:

I am pleased to say that our dog warden has all the equipment she needs and has been doing the job for so many years now - a great dog she does too - she even runs the local greyhound rescue as well :D

Back