• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need advice

nicola

My 8 year old daughter asked me this evening if she could brush my two boys and groom them with some conditioning spray. She was sitting on the floor with them in my bedroom while I watched TV. It all seemed to be going well and after a while I looked down again to discover she had her little scissors she uses for school and had cut nearly all the beautiful long hair off Charlie's chest and trimmed his ears. I am now just so upset at him losing all his beautiful hair!! Please someone tell me it will grow back ok. I think I read somewhere that once the ears are cut they never grow as long again. I can't believe she would do such a thing as she is ALWAYS been such a sensible and dependable little girl! It seems I gave her too much credit!!

Forgot to say...Charlie is a ruby...will that make a difference to it growing back? I am so upset I haven't stopped crying!! Please can someone say what the chances are of it growing back the same? He had such lovely, beautiful long ears.

Don't worry - they should grow back just as long and beautiful! One of my earlier Blenheims came back from South Africa with me and spent 6 months in quarantine. Because she wasn't getting any running around, she got an ear infection and to help with treating it and prevent it happening again, the kennel trimmed her ears right back. She looked very odd! But within a few weeks they had grown back to what they were before. Being a ruby shouldn't make any difference. In fact a light trim can encourage growth.

At least it was the dog - my two older sisters were left at home alone for a few hours when the oldest was a teenager, and the younger one got her plaits cut off!

Kate, Oliver (ruby) and Aled (blenheim)

It will grow back :) but the time depends on how much length was cut off and the individual dog. If you are talking several inches then you may be looking at 6 months to a year or even more if they were really long. Dog coats tend to grow at different rates depending on the dog. Black hair tends to grow faster and longer -- I have had to trim up ears a few times for various reasons and the tris and B&T grow far faster than the blenheims. When I got Tansy (B&T) her ears were quite short and they are amongst the longest of the dogs now but that took about 18 months to come in.

I think 8 is actually pretty young to understand that cutting off lots of hair might not be what you would want in terms of 'grooming' so I wouldn't blame her :flwr:-- as Wagtails says kids much older, into teens, might do the same to a dog or a sibling! I can remember me and my brothers doing a bit of haircutting on each other at older than that! To a lot of kids dog 'grooming' would mean cutting off hair and she probably thought she was doing what they do at the grooming salons and you'd be very pleased at how nice he would look.

I would probably just talk to her about how scissors just like knives are special privileges and not to be used ever on people or dogs or anything else without checking if it is OK with a grownup first?At that age I'd be keeping even kids scissors in a box where they would need to ask for permission to use them just as it is so tempting to trim fabric, clothes, doll hair, dogs... :)

Holly had surgery three months ago and they shaved her in the strangest ways -- her whole back side (and legs) were shaved except for the tips of her feet. She had IV lines in both front legs at various times, so they trimmed the feathers, but at different areas for a couple of inches each. Needless to say, she had a very odd look about her when she came home.

Now, almost 13 weeks later, Holly's hair is growing in nicely. I've been so concerned with her rehab that it was just today when I noticed the hair regrowth. I actually think she might look normal again soon.

Your dog's hair will grow back as well. I have 8 and 4 year old daughters here. Even though teachers have said that kids need to practice with scissors at home, neither of my kids even know where they are in this house -- I don't have the same level of trust you do! I agree with Karlin that your daughter probably thought she was being a real groomer:). It might take a bit, but the hair will grow!

We shave one of our Cavaliers every Summer and the parts that grow back the fastest are her chest and ears (particularly her ears!) so your chap should be back to his pre-groom self in no time. Maybe, if you want to even it up a bit, bring him to be professionally groomed and then he will grow out at a more even pace.

When I was young, I "groomed" the dog a few times - looking back at photos she was a state (all patchy and clumpy) but it always grew back! That's the one joy of hair, and getting a bad hair cut (in both dogs and humans, I have definitely had a few of those!), it'll always grow back :)

Years ago I worked with a gal who told me the story of when she was a child how her and her friend got into her parents closet and cut all their clothes. Her father owned lots of shorts for summer--Suits and everything. Yikes. We laughed like crazy but can you imagine that happening. Better safe than sorry.

I can understand your plight! It will grow back, no worries. Although if my little girl wanted to groom the dogs, I am so over the top, that I would say yes, BUT just brush and then I would show her how. I've done it a few times... she got bored with it anyway (as with everything). Ah kids and dogs!! :roll: lol

When I was a kid, I had so many accidents with scissors, that I hide the scissors from my little girl and she has to ask for them if she wants to use them, I'm so afraid!

I groomed Lola early summer and really regretted it :( it took until December to all grow back :yikes
Plus then she had surgery so was shaved from the top of her head to her tail, and they took the feathering off her front legs :( So she has to wear a jumper atm as she gets too cold, bless her.

Back