• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Copperhead

Hi all
I am new to this site and only found it as I began researching MVD. I have two cavaliers both 6 years old. We bought one of them unknowingly from a puppy farm,,we actually bought two, one died a couple of weeks later. Seeing how Copper was missing his brother Chester we bought another puppy Harvey from a Kennel Club recommended breeder. It is this one Harvey that we have had all the health problems with. At his puppy check we were told he had a heart murmer and only one testicle. This should have been operated on but we were told because of his heart it would be better left. To tell the truth we never gave his heart problems much thought until very recently. Whilst I was grooming him a couple of weeks ago I noticed he seemed to be struggling to breath and seemed to have lost a nit if weight later that day when my husband bought the two boys home from their walk he said he was worried about Harvey as he had seemed very lethargic and hung back on the walk instead of running off with his pal, and he had ended up carrying him home. On hearing this I realised we couldn't ignore this and got him down to the vets. We were told he was in heart failure his heart murmer had gone from a grade 3 to a grade 5 . His breaths were over 40 a minute and the outlook wasn't good. All you dog lovers will know how we felt at this point. We have bought Harvey home, we could have left him for treatment at the vets but as she said he would be more stressed there than at home with his pal Copper he has been put on Frusemide and Cardisure tablets, one for his heart the other for the fluid which had built up. So that is where we are at, we do not know how long we will have him with us when I see them together in their basket I dread the day Copper is there alone, I cannot imagine how he will cope without Harvey they are insuperable. as Harvey was allowed no exercise at all for 10 Days taking copper for walks on his own was awful, he didn't want to go alone and Harvey cried all the time they were gone. Luckily now that the medication is helping him Harvey can go for small walks and is carried when he has had enough. If there is anyone who has been through this and I am sure there must be any advice on Harvey's care and treatment would be lovely also has anyone any idea how long dogs like Harvey can go on, the vet was very evasive but she did seem to be talking weeks maybe months but he has perked up quite a bit I am hoping he will be with us for a while yet.

I know some have replied elsewhere to your post about Harvey, but just wanted to give a formal welcome here to your post and say we sure all hope things go OK for Harvey for a good while yet.

Back