• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Puppy won't poop

LuckysMommy

I just got a new puppy last night- a tri colored Cavalier King Charles.

Got him around 5pm. He didn't really eat much yesterday. He has done well going pee outside. He ate a good breakfast and dinner and had a couple of treats in between, but he still hasn't pooped! Any ideas as to why or what I should do to help him, if there is anything?

Otherwise, if he doesn't poop by tomorrow I'm taking him to the vet. :(

i wouldnt worry too much just yet
Ollie poops about once a day on our walks..thats in the evening.
It hink everones schedual is a bit different.
But yeah if your worried take him in and see what the vet says :)
god luck

Don;t worry yet -- this often happens when pups or adult dogs go into a new situation (heck, it happens to people too for the same reasons! ;)).

If he doesn't go after two days, then give your vet a ring and see IF they think you should bring him in. Most likely they will say to leave him a bit.

If you got your pup from a good breeder, s/he will also be happy to offer you advice.

If this is your first puppy, I'd strongy recommend getting this book immediately:

http://www.amazon.com/Before-After-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196854270&sr=1-4

and/or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Dunbars-Good-Little-Book/dp/188804702X/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

and definitely this:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Housebrea...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196854369&sr=1-1

PS How old is he? Most pups would be needing 3-4 meals daily depending on age. Usually they wouldn't go to just two til 5-6 months of age.

You could try gently stroking his belly downwards or clockwise (from his perspective, not yours) for a half a minute. Think that the mother dog often licks her pups bellies to get their digestive systems moving.

Hi everyone!

I did some research late last night because it was bothering me. Several web-sites said to wet a warm wash cloth and with some pressure, rub his butt. Supposedly that is what mothers do. He is 16 weeks... so I'm sure he doesn't need his mother rubbing his butt, but he was in a new situation and maybe it just helped relax him or something. All I know is I took him out right after the rubbing and low and behold he did his business right away! And he also did it the second time I took him out. So things are looking much better!

Thanks everyone ;)

Wow, I had no idea that would work on an older puppy! We commonly do that with the very young pups (3 weeks or younger) when the moms aren't doing quite as good a job as we think they should.

It may just have been a coincidence... but he literally went potty right after I was done rubbing his butt. And ever since doing it he has been VERY regular... something like 4 times today. Maybe he's making up for the lost time, haha.

Back