• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

No Harness allowed?

Sabby

I am taking the Good Citizen Bronze with Harley in about three weeks time. Last Monday at training we were told that the dog has to wear a collar and lead and not a harness unless there are medical conditions. I explained to the trainer about SM and that Harley has not got SM but that I always use harnesses on my cavaliers as a preventive measure. The trainer has heard about SM and she said that she will ask about me using a harness and not a collar. I am just waiting to hear now. The thing is I would think that when you want to do the silver and gold things will get stricter. Are there people on the forum who have taken the good citizen and used a harness?

I would think that you should be OK in a harness, as it's a matter of preventative medicine for a specific breed problem. But you may find by the time you do silver and gold that you don't need to exert any pressure on your dog, so Harley could just wear a collar for a short while - it won't hurt his neck if you're not putting any pressure on it. I normally walk Oliver in a harness, but have to work him in obedience competitions in a collar, but am not allowed to tighten the lead anyway (you lose marks for that!), so I don't think it does his neck any harm simply wearing a collar.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

You can do it in a harness. I had the same situation as you, not using a collar as a precautionary measure. This was before Dylan was diagnosed. My trainer actually used head collars on all the dogs which I think is a bit of a cheat but there you go. Dylan was one of the only dogs there who didn't walk to heel, him and a staff who went crazy if you put a head collar on him. :dogwlk:

I am surprised they would pass you with a harness. Here in the US, the CGC is very specific about taking the test with only a buckle collar. The idea is that you must have control of your dog at all times.

In fact, at some of the places we visit for therapy, you almost have to re-take the test and be interviewed in order to visit. Frustrating, but I do understand each place having their own rules. Sometimes it amazes me that anyone ever volunteers and they wonder why there is a shortage.

Back