• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Lily

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Some here may remember that Leo was attacked by wasps during the summer. This time, it was Lily's turn -- she just started howling while on a walk along the creek and right away I knew what it would be and started hunting for wasps -- removed several from her where they will burrow down into her fur and sting repeatedly. :(

This time though I had Bendadryl in pill form in the house so was able to bring her home and give her the correct dosage of that to be safe, and then also an aspirin an the appropriate dose. She's clearly uncomfortable and keeps shifting around but was happy to have a piece of tripe so all can't be that bad.

I'll be glad for one thing when the weather gets colder and that is that the wasps won't be around.

I don't think she actually stirred them up; the dogs were joined by this huge Rhodesian mix who has always just loved my dogs. He's a big galumph and tries to play with them and smashes his way through everything so I imagine he probably disturbed them rather than Lily.

So sorry to hear this and thankfully you had the wisdom of keeping the Benadryl handy. I feel so sorry for Lily, but pleased to note that she has eaten, which I guess is a good indication that the worst is over. Happened to our Beagle in Cyprus, but won't go into detail as it wasn't pleasant, especially as we had a long wait for a Vet. From there on in I too keep a remedy close at hand.

Sorry to hear this Karlin! Poor Lily! :( Thank goodness she has a mum knowing what to do! I remember your post about Leo getting stung and thought then that I should get some bendryl to put in the 'puppy bag' I keep in the car...and guess what? I haven't done that. How do you find out the correct dosage for a dog? Ask the vet? I have a book that has some info about what people meds you can give dogs and once gave Maxwell some liquid Pepto Bismal for diarrhea...and my vet was NOT impressed that I had done so saying that they had better meds to give dogs. So, I have been shy of going to that book since then.

I always worry and think that stories like what happened to Leo & Lily are the universe's way of preparing me...a nudge to be prepared because it could happen to us....and I don't follow through!!! DH & I adore our two pups beyond comprehension and I need to be smarter about being prepared.

What a terrible thing to happen to u and ur little ones, not once but twice. At least this time u were prepered. Hopefully Jasper doesnt feel left out and decide that he too wants to know what it feels like to be stung with wasps.:) Hopefully Lily is already feeling awhole lot better. give her a :hug:from me and the gang.

I just put a chart with correct dosage information in the Health secion of the Library. (y) I'd meant to put the Bendryl in the car to have it there and of course hadn't got round to that but did have some at home.

She's a lot better now -- she was really in pain right after being stung though. I had to carry her to the car and she was just stunned. You can tell how unlike herself she is still by this picture -- normally Jessie wouldn't even dare be this close to her! :lol: Right now she has Jessie's sister Pippa on her other side, sitting on the arm of the sofa. Pretty amazing!

Not a great image as I had to hand back my great Nokia N95 but you get the general idea! :lol:

1553077483_96979fcaff.jpg

Poor Lily, she looks shaken. And thank you for the dosage chart, I'll have a look at it straight away.

Poor Lily hope she is back to her normal self soon. She looks so sad in the picture, big hug from Harvey and myself:hug:

It happened to our gerbil a few years ago, made his teeth fall out poor little might, so had to purify all his food from then on.

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Oh poor sweet Lily, I'm glad she's doing better. It looks like you are taking excellent care of her and Jessie and Pippa are just trying to comfort Lily. I hope it's working.

Wow, a gerbil's teeth can fall out from being stung? Probably the stress and pain, I'd guess. It must really hurt if you are so tiny. :shock:

Well Lily is back scavenging around the kitchen so a bit of Benadryl and a baby aspirin seems to have done the trick for her.:)

I'm always so afraid they will have an anaphylactic reaction and swell up.

Thank God she's Ok:lotsaluv:.

Lynn, that's a wonderful idea to keep a puppy bag in the car, I never would have thought of it :lpy:.............. I purchased a car bag in Lidl a while back and didn't know what to do with it, so now it will be perfect for a doggie first aid kit (y)

oh no poor Lily - what a shame. Goodness I thought it was too late in the year for wasps, but maybe with the warm weather this month they are still out and about.

Thank goodness you were prepared - I think it is always wise to have such things available - we always carry a couple of litres of water in the car to cool the dogs if they get over hot etc...

Gentle hug for Lily, hope she will be much better tomorrow.

Mum and Dad's girl Tilly encountered a wasps nest earlier this year, luckily her dense cost prevented stings. Poor Lily, glad to hear your quick thinking and the medication made her feel much better quickly!!

I always carry a change of bedding, kitchen roll, 1001 carpet cleaner with brush attachment, no vac 1001 spray and a pile of nappy sacks and a couple of carrier bags along with a big bottle of water and a towel when I have the dogs on board, I work on the "If you have it you won't need it, if you don't then you will" theory!! :lol: Will add Benadryl and Calpol to the box now!!

Poor Lilly - We had a nest of wasps in our garden for a while this summer and Rex got stung twice this year, first time it was on the ear and we had a dash to the vet, his face was all swollen and he couldn't breathe - we were scared to death. Second time was on the bum, we rang UCD animal hospital (it was late sunday nite) but he was fine after an hour -the shaking and trembling was horrific and scared us half to death!!
I hope Lilly is ok now x :p

Thank God she's Ok:lotsaluv:.

Lynn, that's a wonderful idea to keep a puppy bag in the car, I never would have thought of it :lpy:.............. I purchased a car bag in Lidl a while back and didn't know what to do with it, so now it will be perfect for a doggie first aid kit (y)

LOL Claire....my 'dog bag' is more like a baby's diaper's bag with doggie wipes but no diapers!!! I always keep some food and a water dish and a bottle of water, extra leashes and treats and toys....but NOT a first aid kit...which is more important...huh? I need to smarten up and get a first aid kit made up for the dogs. :)

Oh Karlin, poor Lily!!! I hope she feels better soon!

I've learned a lot from this thread; I need to create a Puppy ER kit for the car. I have a first aid kit for pets at home but never thought to put it in the car!

Back