• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about how your Cavaliers spend their days

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions. I do feel a little better... and if nothing else, at least I know I'm not alone in this situation.

I'd love to get another Cav both because I LOVE them and so Molly would have company, but right now that's not possible. I'm hoping maybe someday I will be able to (I'll have to win the lottery first! ha!).

-laura

I am with my Aoife most of the time. I work, but since having her, the hours have been inconsistent & usually if not always of an evening. However, last week, me & my OH went to London & I had to leave her behind with my sister for 3/4 days. My sister works full time & my brother is still at school, so she was on her own all day for the first time ever really. She hasn't coped well at all (though they said she was no problem at all). Possibly due to starting her teething at that time too. Since she's been home, she has been absolutely dreadful even if you leave the room for the toilet she barks & whines. Before, she would have perhaps barked once if she was wide awake. I'm worried too because a week on Monday I have a job for a week that is full time with no lunch break etc. She's going to drive the neighbours mad. :confused:
Oh dear! It really sounds to me like you might want to read up on Separation Anxiety and put a plan into motion, or it will only get worse. Some dogs become very distraught when left, and there are a series of things you can do to help her before she becomes 'hardwired' for separation anxiety.

Last edited:
That's what I am worried about. She's been left on her own for a few hours here & there & she has no issue sleeping in another room but since coming home from being away, she sometimes gets anxious if I leave so whenever I do, I try do something positive like give her a kong of treats.

You will definitely have to have someone in during the day for that week at least once daily to let her out -- she is just too young to be left for huge stretches like this or you could easily end up with a problem dog with severe separation anxiety. There are things you can do (see end of post). Sep. anxiety is THE key reason why this breed does get handed in to rescue (the *number one* reason I get surrendered cavaliers from owners! The boredom and anxiety frequently starts to lead to barking, accidents and destructiveness because the dog is increasingly distressed. They are a breed that really, really need either people at home on and off, or some sort of daytime relief from a wakler and a good interesting environment to stay at home in [eg the things you are doing like kongs], or a dog companion (it doesn't have to be a cavalier or course). At the same tine you don;t want to be accidentally enouraging her dependence; that's why they need gradual training to learn to have some degree of independence and to be left alone. And owners need to learn what to ignore and how to structure such training.

She WILL drive the neighbours crazy if her needs are not cared for -- this is one of the issues of course of having a dog, and especially a more people-dependent breed like a cavalier; they are not like cats who are quiet and tolerate a working home more easily. They are social animals and total isolation for long days can very quickly introduce social and behaviour problems that in turn can cause complaints from neighbours who in turn may take those complaints to dog wardens who do have the right to remove a dog considered a nuisance.

I'd strongly recommend working on all the issues of separation anxiety and training around this, get this dog into regular daycare or have a hired person take her out daily when you cannot be there, or consider a second dog. I know you outlined some things you are doing, but it has to be the daily norm; this plan really needs to be in place before you have the week of solid work much as you'd make arrangements around a young child. (y) Maybe that is all done and I am just misunderstanding?

I know it is really hard when you love dogs and also must be at work all day, but just as with having a child, accommodation has to be made for this additional responsibility and this almost always will involve some costs.

I have gathered together a range of articles on separation anxiety here that should be of help :) :

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=14390

To be honest I'd recommend home-boarding a dog for a week or even kennelling her if no one will be able to come in for a full week of worktime. Maybe someone else with a dog would be willing to take her and then trade off with you for care for their dog at a future point?

I am so glad that i dont have any of these probs. I only work a couple of hrs over weekend and the kids and OH is there. Even when i go shopping someone is in my house.

We also have the same situation, luckily Renco comes home at lunch to go for a walk with Harvey. But about a month ago we invested in an X pen leaving him with toys and water and Harvey is fine. I think we cav lovers think that they are as sensitive as us as they are so so cute, but as I get frequently told, they are animals and although they love attention they do not require company every minute of the day (as much as they would prefer it :) ) I think you are doing everything right for you pup and don't worry too much. We are going to get an older rescue cav in about 6 months when we move to a house rather than in our little apartment so that Harvey has company on his alone days. Don't worry too much, although I am a fine one to talk. You can make up for alone time by lots of playing in the park and walks... :)

You will definitely have to have someone in during the day for that week at least once daily to let her out -- she is just too young to be left for huge stretches like this or you could easily end up with a problem dog with severe separation anxiety. There are things you can do (see end of post). Sep. anxiety is THE key reason why this breed does get handed in to rescue (the *number one* reason I get surrendered cavaliers from owners! The boredom and anxiety frequently starts to lead to barking, accidents and destructiveness because the dog is increasingly distressed. They are a breed that really, really need either people at home on and off, or some sort of daytime relief from a wakler and a good interesting environment to stay at home in [eg the things you are doing like kongs], or a dog companion (it doesn't have to be a cavalier or course). At the same tine you don;t want to be accidentally enouraging her dependence; that's why they need gradual training to learn to have some degree of independence and to be left alone. And owners need to learn what to ignore and how to structure such training.

She WILL drive the neighbours crazy if her needs are not cared for -- this is one of the issues of course of having a dog, and especially a more people-dependent breed like a cavalier; they are not like cats who are quiet and tolerate a working home more easily. They are social animals and total isolation for long days can very quickly introduce social and behaviour problems that in turn can cause complaints from neighbours who in turn may take those complaints to dog wardens who do have the right to remove a dog considered a nuisance.

I'd strongly recommend working on all the issues of separation anxiety and training around this, get this dog into regular daycare or have a hired person take her out daily when you cannot be there, or consider a second dog. I know you outlined some things you are doing, but it has to be the daily norm; this plan really needs to be in place before you have the week of solid work much as you'd make arrangements around a young child. (y) Maybe that is all done and I am just misunderstanding?

I know it is really hard when you love dogs and also must be at work all day, but just as with having a child, accommodation has to be made for this additional responsibility and this almost always will involve some costs.

I have gathered together a range of articles on separation anxiety here that should be of help :) :

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=14390

To be honest I'd recommend home-boarding a dog for a week or even kennelling her if no one will be able to come in for a full week of worktime. Maybe someone else with a dog would be willing to take her and then trade off with you for care for their dog at a future point?

Thank you for all that information. The problem is that I went away to London for a few days & left her in the care of the only person I know that could or would care for her at all whilst I was away but she works full time. I had little option when it came to that (the trip was for business reasons & has made money very tight for everyone this month). Before that, she was okay. I have a job where the shifts are upto 4 hours long four times a week - usually weeknights though occassionally afternoons. She was absolutely content with this. But it's been since coming home from this break she's started showing any signs of any anxiety. I have options for her in the one week of full time work I am doing & will work around these options, but I am also looking for ways to make her more independent & less bored. She isn't always bad when I leave the room - she's usually very good, she's just showing more signs that concern me than before I went away for a couple of nights. An example is how this week I went to the cinema to see a film, I left her with a kong & nice things inside. When I came home, I found her paper all torn up (she is being paper/litter trained for apartment living). Clearly she had gotten bored after the kong in the two hours I was out! That's the only time she has ever done that to my knowledge..

When India was a puppy, she was starting to show signs of separation anxiety. Our dog trainer gave us lots of information and ideas like Karlin has done, and it really helped. We had to ignore her for 15 minutes whenever we returned home from being away, and we had to leave her a stuffed kong and a biscuit holder kong when we left. Everything that had to do with coming and going had to be very low key, so as to keep her calm and relaxed.

I would recommend finding a very good boarding kennel, and try having her stay for one night now and then to get used to it. Then when you have to travel, she will know the place and know that you returned to her. Also, she won't be on her own - she'll see, smell and hear lots of dogs, even though they're all in separated runs, and it won't be lonely and boring for her.

Has anyone any links to info on kongs - fillers & types? I swear I must be doing something wrong. She goes mental for them (runs in her crate & waits for it) & is bored after about five minutes.

The Kong 'stuff a ball' treat dispenser is nice because you can put their regular kibble in it, and then they roll it around to get the food out. My cavs LOVE this kong the best!
http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

Go to the treat dispenser page, and click on more a few times, you'll see a flying saucer shaped treat dispenser that holds puppy dog biscuits. My puppies loved these too.

I would say leave 3 different kong toys with her, and she can keep switching between them if she gets bored.

Oh. Thank you, I didn't know there was more than one shaped kong! I'll look into this as something to cure her boredom whilst I'm at work.

I can't remember how old your dog is, loveisokay, but if she is still a little puppy, you shouldn't try the kennel idea yet. Most kennels have an age requirement, but I can't remember what it is. We were fortunate, the lady who owned the kennel kept (puppy) India in her house in a crate and took her out to potty and play at least 9 times per day. Plus the owner's dogs were in the house and are well socialized to visitors.

She's coming up to five months so she is still quite young. I wasn't thinking of trying out any ideas of sending her to kennels for a while. I don't plan to be away for a long time (can't afford to!) & my mum has offered to care for her then (she was away when I had to go to London).

At the moment, I am trying to reassure her about her crate/den & getting her more used to the idea of lying in it on her own without me next to her. She's doing okay with me in the room, :rah: .

I only just saw this post and thought I'd give my two sense as well. we are in a very similar situation, both Kevin and I work so Fiona is alone from about 9-4 or 5. Kevin sometimes comes home for lunch since he works close. Luckily, when Fiona was a small puppy I was between jobs and had about a month to spend with her full time. In the beginning we left her in her x-pen all day, with her crate, some toys, and her water. It worked ok, but as she got bigger her pen was just not big enough and she was insane when we got home. We decided to try a few days of leaving her in the living room, because we could tell she was getting bored in her pen. her favorite spot is to sit up on the top of the couch looking out the window, and while many people might not advise doing this, it worked for us. It has made potty training more difficult, but we have had a long process wiht that anyways, and she IS starting to get it. We also leave classical m usic on, and Fiona is doing a lot better having a bigger space to roam around in. We're hopefully going to buy a house next year, so after then we will start thinking about getting a little brother or sister for Fiona, but for now it seems to be workin gok.

Day Care in Your Area

Hi Ib0054!
I just read your post (because I live in Salem, MA!).
We also work all day and have worked very hard at providing the best circumstances for our new Tri Cav (Sofee Marie). We have been using a new dog day care provider from Marblehead and they are fantastic. Sofee loves them! She now goes from 8am-2pm every day and they pick her up and bring her home. She is then crated from 2-6pm (I get home at 6), it works out fantastic.
Please let me know if you would like their phone number, send me a private post.
Momay and Sofee Marie

We are in a very similar situation. I work 8:30-5:30; hubby works 7:30-4:30ish, although his schedule is a bit more flexible than mine right now.

But now that I actually have my living, breathing, little angel, I feel that the arrangement I thought would work (half hour walks during the middle of the day) might not be sufficient after all. I don't want to give her up for anything, but I want her to have the best life she possibly can.
I can totally relate to that statement. It's pretty much exactly how I felt for the first few months after Gracie came home with us. The guilty filling hasn't completely gone away (she's almost a year now)...but, I know that we do all that we can to make sure that she is well loved, exercised and socialized. I come home 2-3 days a week for lunch and we take her to daycare 1-2 days a week. She loves daycare and we love it because she comes home exhausted! :p

I'd definitely recommend finding a way to get her to daycare a day or two a week. You will worry less on the days she's at daycare, too. We're also looking into getting a second Cavalier in the next year or so.

Sounds like you're doing great things for Molly...try not to beat yourself up! (y)

I highly recommend doggy daycare too. I have done it for all of my dogs and especially for a puppy. They get plenty of attention and socialization and they are tired and night. You know they are well taken care of and you don't have guilt.

You just have to work out poor Molly's problems about riding in a car. Poor girl.

My dog, Jolly is now 14 months old. From the time I got him at 4 months old through 13 months old, he went to daycare every day I was at work. Now that he is much more reliable in the house and won't trash it while I am away, he now goes to daycare 3 days a week. Now I do daycare, because he just loves to play with all his little puppy friends. On the days he is home, if my parents are not around, I have a friend who stops in during the day and makes sure that Jolly isn't getting into any trouble at home.

The 3 other dogs, get to go to daycare once a week and they enjoy it too.

Good luck with Molly!

Back