• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rosie's Problem - Advice Please

Hello

Rosie is an enigma .We went through the same physical examination and not a sound from her ,we even went out into the car park so Martin could watch her walk and I was running up and down with Rosie trotting behind and nothing so we are no further .But upon examining her back legs he confirmed that her patella was continually popping in and out though she showed no sign of discomfort nor made any sounds of distress so we agreed that it needs probable surgery shortly in case of osteo arthritis in years to come .We go back on the 15 th and he advised exactly what Kate advised total rest including poss crating for periods and he also gave her Gabapentin tablets 2 x 100 mg daily for pain which to me is a bit puzzling as she seems not to be in any continuous pain more of a sort of occasional stabbing sharp pain.Your comments would be highly valued please as I am at a loss , and do I give her the two tablets together or separate by say 3 hours .

I think gabapentin is a pain preventive rather than a pain killer, and builds up a steady level of pain control, so it should help prevent Rosie getting the sharp pain episodes. It can also make some dogs a bit sleepy, which will help her to rest. Oliver has been on the dose recommended for Rosie for his SM and I give them morning and evening, with breakfast and supper. For SM, most people reckon gabapentin doesn't last 12 hours, and 8 hours apart three times a day works better, but 12 hours apart should be OK for Rosie's situation - Martin knows what he's doing!

Isn't it typical of dogs not to display symptoms when you take them to the vet! But good that you've discovered the patella problem, which is relatively easy to correct.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Sorry to hear that Rosie has problems with her patellas, but I really wouldn't expect that to cause such severe pain.

The Gabapentin will gradually build up, as kate said, it might make her sleepy which will be good to make her rest.

Yes 12 hour intervals between the doses.

It's actually an antiepileptic drug with sedative effects, but has been found to be very effective against nerve pain.

Is she eating and pooing normally? Did they feel her belly? Pancreatitis is always a possibility with severe pain, but you would see some gastric symptoms.

Any problems urinating? Increased frequency, pain on passing urine? Thinking of possibly bladder stones.

Hello Nicki

And thank you .I left work at 2.00 pm picked her went straight to Chestergates arrived about 2.35 and went into Martins consultation room about 3.15 and the first thing she did upon entering was have a wee which I apologised for and cleaned up.I must admit neither of us really mentioned it I just thought that Dawn just hadn't taken her out before I picked her up.icon_nwunsureBut your most makes one wonder, gall stones ?His examination literally consisted of poking ,pulling and pressing everywhere and she didn't make a sound .For her tea she had a piece lamb neck weighing exactly 45 gramme with some carrot ,broccoli and cabbage topped off with a teaspoon of goats yogurt and three small whitebait a teaspoon of natural bran and one shredded wheat then on top a vit tablet and omega 3 oil some mobile bones and some Nutro and keepers mix and last but not least one sprout.:) They do all eat every bit even the sprout.Then more supplements before bed and followed by our teeth cleaning regime .

Please don't think I am questioning Martin or anybody all I am trying to do is learn as much as I can to enable me to help Rosie to the best of my ability and by having our resident experts like you Nicki and Kate and Karlin and Nannette and my mates Tupup ,Tania and Pauline all helping and guiding me along it is all a fantastic help and not forgetting our two gentle caring ladies from across the waves Annie and Pamela and the many others I am indebted to all and it proves what a fantastic forum CT is.
She is in a large soft travel crate right by the side of my bed fast asleep and will sleep there now ,I shall carry her down about 10.30 for toilet and the same again at 6.00 in the morning and will dispense her tablets at 6.AM and 6.00 PM daily

If I am doing something wrong pls tell me or if I am missing something out pls tell me.I also wish to say a big thank you to two wonderful educated ladies who I had a good natter to on the phone they are both ex cavalier health club representatives and two people our Cavaliers are so lucky to have ,Madams Margaret Carter and Barbara Reese I dearly thank you both .
Respectfully yours
Brian and Rosie

Ps Nicki is there anything in the homeopathic or herbal supplement range I could consider

I think I would try her with a magnetic therapy collar - http://www.vetuk.co.uk/joint-supple...ollar-p-2131?zenid=i7qkjatl7vnifqrg6pgevch456

proven to increase the circulation thereby helping with healing.

Homoeopathy - there are remedies for pain relief, also there is a good combination for arthritis and movement - website www.gentletouchremedies.co.uk it's hard without a definite diagnosis though. I would actually suggest seeing a holistic/homoeopathic vet http://www.bahvs.com/findavet.htm

Other alternatives you might want to consider are physical manipulation techniques [now that SM has been ruled out] either a chiropractor or Bowen technique practitioner. http://www.caninebowentechnique.com/ obviously they have to be trained in the treatment of animals.

Gall stones are in the gallbladder - I was thinking more likely bladder stones/crystals. It was the urinating at the surgery that made me think of it, but it could be something connected with her back.

Will keep thinking - she is certainly a bit of a puzzle :(

Hi Bri
Hows little Rosie today? Snoozing peacefully in her soft crate i hope,how do you think she's feeling on her gaberpentin etc? I never saw Ruby sleep more on it for her SM but she's a "lots of naps" kinda girl anyway!

I hope Rosie is more comfortable today,theres nothing worse than when they cant get comfy & cry & look at you its heartbreaking, so i really hope she's having a better day today

Blessings for Rosie

Dearest Brian,

I just finished reading all the posts, wow I am so sorry you have been going through so much the past few days. I have not been on the site for a couple of days, my weekends were busy. Brian maybe if you keep a journal to write when the episodes take place, and monitor them closely and write everything down you possibly might see some consistency of when it happens and maybe why. Also just a suggestion did they have her jump off something to see if that might trigger her pain? Just wondering seeing as thats the only way I knew something was up with Isabelle at first. My heart goes out to you, I know it can become frustrating to see Rosie in pain, it can be hard to understand totally the mystery behind why she does not display it when she is being examined. I know they found the whys in the scan, but in the physical examine part when she does not show the symptoms of pain it can become confusing. I am reminded of a funny thing that happened to me my car was making a weird sound and doing something that it was not suppose to, so I take it in to the dealership, but it does not do it, then they look at me like I am crazy. Oh well life as you know it right hee hee. I hope the Lord guides you bringing reassurance of his peace and helps you while you go down this path. I pray that Rosie will be fine, and they will help to determine what is the best healing path to go down for her. Have you thought of ever going to a acupuncturist for Rosie, my doctor has referred me to an excellent one here in my home town if Isabelle ever needs it for future needs. I know that they have done wonders with natural herbs and healing for pets. Take care and God bless!!

Blessings,
Pamela

Brian maybe if you keep a journal to write when the episodes take place, and monitor them closely and write everything down you possibly might see some consistency of when it happens and maybe why.

I think that is an excellent idea Pamela.

Brian, there are vets in your area who do acupuncture http://www.natural-animal-health.co.uk/Vets/findvet.php?area=12

I have had it myself for pain relief and it's often very successful - they have a pain relief clinic where they offer acupuncture at Glasgow Vet school.

Pamela, we do hope that Isabelle is doing much better. :flwr:

Brian; Have been away for a few days so missed your days of anxiety. I'm so happy to hear your good news ( although possible future surgery isn't nice). Keep Rosie as quiet as possible and enjoy your relief.

Heather R

lindylou

so so sorry to hear rosie has a problem. its heartbreaking when they are pooley i will kept you and rosie in my thoughts

Hi

Its been almost a week since Rosie has yelped but its so hard leaving her behind when we go out for a walk ,she gets carried up and down everywhere though she gives me strange looks .We go back to Chestergates next Friday at 4.30 and I am really grateful its so close to me also ordered a magnetic collar to see if it helps.

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/magnets for animals.htm

Hey brian,

I am catching up and I knew the results and I will email you. I have been thinking of you and rosie.

Back