• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

RSPCA has pulled out of Crufts

Sadly though, if someone falls in love with cavaliers after seeing Crufts, they might possibly look up their local small ads and buy a cavalier and be shocked to find that their cow hocked,long nosed bundle of fur doesn't look remotely like the Best of Breed that graced their screens some months ago

That was exactly my point in the first place.

Sadly though, if someone falls in love with cavaliers after seeing Crufts, they might possibly look up their local small ads and buy a cavalier and be shocked to find that their cow hocked,long nosed bundle of fur doesn't look remotely like the Best of Breed that graced their screens some months ago.

But that's been the norm for many many years, don't stop the public buying from byb and pet shops though, what ever the breed is. :(

don't stop the public buying from byb and pet shops though, what ever the breed is. :(

Dunno though,nothing would make me buy a pekingese after seeing the crufts BIS in 2003.It looks like a fruit bat dressed in a troll costume.
*with apologies to peke lovers
Sins

Dunno though,nothing would make me buy a pekingese after seeing the crufts BIS in 2003.It looks like a fruit bat dressed in a troll costume.
*with apologies to peke lovers
Sins

You and me both, but my twit of a brother still thinks his baby cocker spaniel bought in a pet shop as a father day present was from a real breeder and not a byb or puppy farm cause she has KC papers. :(

Even though I have tried to show him where she came from he won't see it and even saw the KC point of view after watching the program. :mad:

He is he sort of person who would buy the a dog breed that had won crufts from these sort of people.

their cow hocked,long nosed bundle of fur doesn't look remotely like the Best of Breed that graced their screens some months ag

I have also met many of these dogs over the local park who owner who are quite happy to tell me they got their cavalier from a pet shop.

It sets my teeth on edge when I see people with Cavaliers and when I ask them about health they say "Oh yes, the breeder mentioned that ears and eyes can be a problem". I'm thinking - ears and eyes?! If only. Hearts? Hah. SM? See any flying pigs lately?

And then there was the time I met a girl with a gorgeous little Blenheim Cav. She said it was a ETS - it wasn't. It was plainly a Cavalier. "Cavs are bigger" she said, as if that was the only difference. I grant you, for a year old Cav that was one tiny boy - smaller even than Holly which is saying something, but unquestionably a Cavalier. If the breed isn't even reported right you've no hope for anything else.

...but if the RSPCA do something useful instead of simply trying to take the moral high ground, kudos to them.

Take on all the points about Crufts, but I am still pleased that RSPCA have pulled out. Its a point of principle that gets publicity and as far as I am concerned this is a good thing.

Personally, on my one visit to Crufts years ago I found the rows of identi-dogs rather creepy. I went for the agility as people I knew from when I did agility with my old Welsh Springer Becky, then Toby (mini) were competing and that bit was fun, as were the obedience.

Times on line articles:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4761473.ece
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4761471.ece

Last edited:
Hi

There was a comment on a news preview pro gramme on our local BBC radio service this morning that BBC are very near to making an announcement about not covering Crufts this year ,personally i hope they do as for me the more noise about what is happening in the world of breeding the sooner things will be changed for the better.

Back