• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sam

I suppose you have to take your vets advice as we are not experts and there are various causes of heart distress. My vets swear by Vetmedin, which was given to Izzy when his breathing became laboured (not panting but sides heaving).

This is what sam is doing, he is both panting and hes sides are also heaving.

Don't wait it out. Call your Vet and inform him that Sam is having too much physical stress and you do not want to wait to try the other med. If you don't get the needed response go elsewhere.

Sam...

Hi....

We went through this with our Gizmo. He took vetmedin for the last five months of his life. We had to push to get it since it was not licensed for use in the US at that time. It did help initially, and I think continued to make a difference for several months. But then the MVD really advanced and there wasn't much to do.

However, I do have one other suggestion. When Gizmo's breathing got quite bad and he seemed to be struggling, a major contributor to this was that he had an excess build up of fluid in his abdomen. I know (or I think I know) that different types of heart failure cause fluid buildups in different parts of the body - abdomen vs. chest.

Draining fluid helped a great deal and did not seem to cause him a lot of distress. It can/does build up again but draining can take place repeatedly, I think, if other signs are relatively stable.

Hoping for best for Sam.

Margaret

So sorry and hope and pray that you have since found help for little Sam. Thinking of you and how much worry and distress you must be having right now. Hang in there and know that we are all behind little Sam in our thoughts.

I would be inclined to ask the Vet why he has prescribed Enpril 10mg instead of Vetmedin and take it from there. I've only ever used Vetmedin and it worked for my Rudee for many years. I've never heard of Enpril.
I do hope you can get this sorted because you most definitely do not need all this stress and worry. I hope and pray that Sam will soon find relief from whatever meds he is on.

Love and hugs from me and my girlies

Oh mary i am so sorry, sam has a special place in my heart always!! if you need anything to me let me know!! Fingers crossed all goes well, let us know straight away!!!!

Oh, fingers crossed for you both, Mary. :flwr: He is a special one of the rescues that have come in.

I am so sorry to read this.
I also am a great fan of Vetmedin. Pepys the little dog in my avatar couldn't lie down his breathing was so bad. He slept sitting upright with very laboured breathing. I took him down to my vet expecting to have him pts. My vet said to have one last try with Vetmedin which we did and he lived for another 12 months. He was almost puppy like and so full of fun again on the Vetmedin.

Mary, how are things this morning? a little better I hope. You and Sam are in my thoughts constantly :hug:

:xfngr:For Sam, hoping that he gets on the right medication and is more comfortable. Will watch for news......:hug: :flwr:

Glad he is doing a bit better - sending lots of positive thoughts. Try to get some rest yourself now too.

Thanks Nicki but its hard to rest i was a wake all last night waiting for my phone to ring. As well i was suppose to be getting the Tortie cat and her kittens tomorrow but i dont think i will have the time as i will be at the vets alot of the time, mind u have been helping them out today while there with Sam i would love to do that type of work, and when he comes home i really want to spend time with him. I feel guilty letting Karlin down.

Delighted to say I delivered this mum and babies to Sallymum this afternoon. The mum is just the sweetest natured calico cat -- really beautiful and what a lovely personality. Her two kittens are DARLING -- they just opened their little blue eyes this morning so I got to see them looking back at me! They are just two weeks old. The boy is a very handsome marmalade, and the girl is a very unusual dark treacle tortie with white belly and feet.

Sam is doing well though he is probably in his retirement home care stage now. :flwr: I know he will get excellent loving nursing care from Sallymum and family.

Back