• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

She's a what????

Relax! :) -- that's why we are having some fun discussing it here and blowing off steam -- if you like a breed it drives you crazy when people consistently get it wrong just as it does if people consistently get a pronunciation wrong of your name (welcome to my world!) etc. Likewise if you are Canadian it gets pretty darn annoying to be always asked (or have it assumed) that you are American. Being a mix of both, I can sit on the fence on that one. :) New Zealanders hate being called Australians, and Irish hate being called English (or as Samuel Beckett once famously said during an interview by some French newpaperwhen asked, "Monsieur Beckett, vous etes anglais?"... "Au contraire." :rotfl: It is pretty normal to be annoyed.

I get so, so tired of being asked if I have any 'King Charles' dogs for adoption -- or worse, King Charles pups -- when first it is a completely different breed and second, most people find my rescue by clicking from a small ad on a dog rescue website that says in large letters, "WE NEVER HAVE PUPPIES". :sl*p: I would never be rude directly to them on names or the fact that no, I don't have puppies -- but it is pleasant to be able come here and complain to people who have similar frustrations. :lol: I totally understand being annoyed with the word order -- again, not dissimilar to having your name reversed all the time or your child's name reversed. That may be because you have a surname that could be mistaken for a first name but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

On a separate note: I cannot imagine how people think there's a mini St Bernard breed -- how weird!

Yeah I have a hard time understanding what a lurcher is nd picking them out, especially as puppies. It is a breed I'd never heard of before moving here. I am sure I drive rescue people in Ireland crazy with my inability to spot a lurcher. But I reserve the right to be frustrated at people getting cavaliers wrong (as a matter of fact, most general rescue people call them 'King Charles' spaniels too! :cool:). Bichons and poodles look really similar to me.

Yes Karlin is pronounced like Car Lynn but I get called Karen, Caroline, Karla etc and often am assumed to be a man. :lol:

I certainly don't get mad at people for messing up the name! Nor do I think they are stupid. In fact, I am the one who's embarrassed by having to spit out that overly long name over and over, while people look at me like I'm anal retentive or something! I just say it once and let it be. I don't go around making an issue of it. But it is pretty funny what people come up with sometimes. :p

Most often people remark at how cute my dog is and ask me what breed it is. I usually say "Cavalier Spaniel". I say that they are smaller than a cocker spaniel and they get to keep their tail. :)

I used to say, "Cavalier King Charles Spaniel", but I just get a vacant stare. It is such a long name, that most people get confused when they hear it for the first time. I can definitely see why they then mix-up the name, when they try to say the breed name later.

I usually say "Cavalier Spaniel".

Me too Charleen. I'll say he/she is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel but we just say Cavalier to keep it simple. I don't get irritated if people don't remember the name or don't get it right...for pete's sake it took my husband a year to remember what the right order of the words were :rolleyes:

hahaha ! Cathy ! same here! to took my bf a while to "Say it right"
He used to say" king charles" when people ask him the name of the breed and i would say " CAVALIER king charles" after the person left.

i got saint Charles a lot for some reason. I think Cavaliers are very common in So. CAL. People always come up to me and like. " oh i heard this is the best dog" " oh i am gonna get this dog next" i would go on and tell about puppy mill and please don't get it from pet store etc.

ive also got people point at my buff/blonde cocker (who has a tail) and ask " is the small one this ones puppy?" (well...i suppose nemo could look like a parti cocker puppy)

ive also got people say..can i have his puppy.....I dont think so!

Well as far as names go I have a corker of a surname..............................
are your ready for this?

Godbehere ( pronounced God ... Be ... here].

It is a very old Quaker name but I would so love to be called Smith/Jones/Brown!

The names I get called are unbelievable including GOD himself!

People usually think she's a Cocker or an Irish Setter puppy. I guess she could probably pass for an Irish Setter puppy. The color's about right:

Ad33642File1.jpg

She certainly does attract attention wherever we go. I never get tired of telling people about her, but there have been a few times when I've wanted to wear a sign that says:

• She's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
  • Her name is Annie
  • She's 2
  • Yes, this is as big as she's going to get
:rolleyes:

I have an average sized ruby and some people do think he's a puppy cocker spaniel! Rubys aren't particularly common so I'll let them off! :)

Quite a few people ask me what breed Maddy is, but some time ago two elderly ladies on horses were chatting to me when one said Maddy looked like a mini St Bernard :D:D To be honest I could see where they were coming from, she does have that lovely, dopey, squidgy face & she's a tri - similar colours. I never take offence because she's mine & I love her! I do usually say Cavalier Spaniel though, it's quicker & most people don't care! I did get a tad affronted when someone asked "is she a cross breed!!!" :eek:

Back