• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sore eyes

quoman

Hello all, over the last few days Charlie our 14 week old blenheim has begun to go a little red around the whites of his eyes, he also seems a little wheezy, does anyone have any advice, has this happened to any of yours, am I worrying over nothing or should I get the vet to have a look at him, he is fine and healthy in every other respect.

It could be allergies or the start of kennel cough. I'd take him in and have a vet check it out just to be sure.

Wheezy isn't good -- as Jen says, get him to a vet to be safe. It is always important to at least ring your vet if you have any concerns with a puppy -- they can go downhill shockingly fast (as can kittens). So take any illness or signs of concern extra seriously with a puppy. (y) Most vets are happy to advise whether you need to bring a puppy in or not or tell you what to watch out for or give as a home remedy.

Thanks for the advice, the wheezing only tends to occur after he's been running around like mad for half an hour, but we were wondering if his eyes might need looking at

If he's actually wheezing you do want to mention this to a vet -- that means he's not able to breathe adequately after exertion and there could be many reasons why.

I think if in doubt consult your vet.My puppy had runny eyes at 11 weeks and I took her for a check up just expecting to be given eye drops.However,her lymph nodes were swollen under her neck and throat and she was starting a systemic infection.
She ended up with eye drops,oral antibiotics and a steroid injection.
Better to err on the side of caution and check it out.
Sins

I too have had a puppy like this ended up being pyoderma ( puppy strangles )

he was fine after treatment all started with a sore eye

I'd definitely take him to the vet just incase....or you could call them and tell them whats happening and whether you should bring him in or not

How is he now??

Back