• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Cavalier Recreation Project

Eddy-Anne,
I hope you are now aware that what I posted was not rubbish?
Thank you.
Elspeth
Elspeth what you posted is NOT rubbish and I apologise, but note that I posted I hoped it was rubbish. I was just getting tired of seeing things on hold with the EBV program, and I really do feel that due to the current climate that things should be sorted out one way or another and the sooner the better.

In another post I mentioned some suggestions that might be of help in getting the program up and running. Such as Clubs could contact Sarah Blott to offer assistance from the Clubs and their members. Say like where consent forms are needed and those people are not around the scene anymore maybe someone might know where they are so that they could be contacted and asked if they wanted to sign forms. Maybe even the forums and email lists might be able to help in tracking people down. In the case where someone has passed away maybe a spouse or close relative might be able to be found where they might provide consent permission this after being contacted by a club member who could explain what the EBV program is and the benefit it could provide for the breed.

in some cases, these dogs will have high risk EBVs

I interpreted this to mean that dogs without MRI's will have lower EBV's because they have not had an MRI. I see now that's not the case.

I should have said; is it legal to "publish" Dog B's EBV...instead of is it legal to "assign" an EBV to said dog. I had edited it about 5 times as I wasn't saying it how it was intended, and still didn't! (y)

The Cavalier Recreation Project.

I hope I was'nt giving out the wrong message yesterday about the EBV Program, I was at my Cousin's Funeral,and not thinking straight.Then we had to rush Suzy to the Vet when we got back, but she's OK.

I am not against in any way Dr Blott's EBV Scheme, it was just when I read about the hiccup with the Pedigrees I started to wonder.

I know with the Pedigree Cattle , all the Farmers are or have been Members of those different Cattle Breed Clubs, that's why there is no problem in getting permission for the EBV's for Cattle.

Now to get back to Cavaliers in Pedigree Backgrounds,there are Cavalier Owners of Cavaliers born in the 1960's who are around , just checked up ,even the 50's.

Is it 3 or 5 generation Pedigrees that are being talke about.

I would think that 3 generation would be no problem ,but it was there will be relations ,if the owner of the Cavalier has died .

Elspeth what you posted is NOT rubbish and I apologise, but note that I posted I hoped it was rubbish. I was just getting tired of seeing things on hold with the EBV program, and I really do feel that due to the current climate that things should be sorted out one way or another and the sooner the better.

Thank you Eddy Anne. I accept your apology.

Here is part of S Blott's statement Carol provided yesterday:

" The area of concern is not necessarily dogs for which we hold scan results but those dogs which have either not been scanned or for which we do not have the scan results. Based on the information we hold we are able to calculate EBVs for these dogs and, in some cases, these dogs will have high risk EBVs. But we may not have permission from the owner to make the EBV publically available. "

An unscanned dog, according to CR's protocol, is an automatic 'D' grade.
So, because of lack of Data, on such dogs, the playing field would not be level, so far as published EBVs were concerned.

If an owner has not MRI'd a dog, it must be supposed that they have chosen this route.
In which case, they are not part of the EBV scheme, nor have they given Sarah Blott their permission to include any results from that dog in her research, as those of us who are already scanning have done, by sending her our results.
If these owners had wished their dog's data to be included in the scheme, they would have offered same by now.
It is therefore to be supposed that their permission would not be forthcoming, and so making contact would be a waste of time.
At the moment, there is no law to say that every dog must be included in the scheme.
I hope this explains satisfactorily why 'making contact' would be fruitless.
Elspeth

The Cavalier Recreation Project.

Just read Karlin's Post again , and I think I understand the Problem now.

Is this right, it depends on whether the EBV information can be given out ,if no permission has been given about using that particular Cavalier.

Just read Karlin's Post again , and I think I understand the Problem now.

Is this right, it depends on whether the EBV information can be given out ,if no permission has been given about using that particular Cavalier.

Correct, Bet. I am so glad Karlin was able to explain it to you.
Elspeth

Is it the not back to the Basics for the MVD and SM help for the Cavalier Breed at the moment, till the Legal aspects of the EBV Program is sorted out , is for Cavalier Breeders to MRI Scan and Heart Test their Cavalier Breeding Stock, and for Prospective Buyers of Cavaliers ,to be given a Health Certificate ,showing that this has been done.

When you get to the Nitty Gritty, will the ordinary Cavalier Buyer understand really about the EBV Program, but as as sure as Eggs are Eggs ,as the saying goes, they will understand ,if a Cavalier's Parents has been Health Tested for the SM and MVD problem afflicting Cavaliers at the moment.

Let the Experts get the Legal Issue of the EBV Scheme sorted out, but let us Cavalier Pet Owners get involved in asking Cavalier Breeders for a Health Certificate, showing that the Parents of the Cavaliers we want to buy ,have been Health Tested for SM and MVD.

Back