• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Great eBay Challenge

I was wondering if maybe signing up with donor cards to the postmortem SM research scheme would be a good idea? Obviously it won't work like human donor cards. It would give Cavalier owners an opportunity to think about this and make a decision before the event. Having the card in their purse may help them to reaffirm this decision each time they see it and perhaps some would make that call to you themselves when their pets die. Just an idea.

I was wondering if maybe signing up with donor cards to the postmortem SM research scheme would be a good idea? Obviously it won't work like human donor cards. It would give Cavalier owners an opportunity to think about this and make a decision before the event. Having the card in their purse may help them to reaffirm this decision each time they see it and perhaps some would make that call to you themselves when their pets die. Just an idea.

Thank you Pauline, a really good idea.

They could perhaps be in neurologists waiting areas, at dog shows etc. I will have to work on that. I do know a good printer that could do cards at a very reasonable cost.
I think that I should explore the possibility of getting something put in Dogs Today and other pet orientated publications.

With the exception of the Cavalier Club, the show breeder/exhibitor forums and websites will not help by putting up the information. I may have to think about an advert in Dog World, although I would prefer not to pay out fund money unless absolutely necessary.

This collection scheme helps four really important research studies, Cardiologist Brendan Corcoran even asked if he could quote this project as his source of research tissue when applying for a KC Charitable Trust grant, so it is in the interest of all cavalier owners to help publicise it.

Margaret C

Done at last:rah:

Cavalier KC Spaniel Club Year Book 1979 Item number: 290307604632
Cavalier KC Spaniel Blenheim Model Item number: 290307608271
Cavalier KC Spaniel, Danbury Mint Plate Item number: 290307612716
Cavalier KC Spaniel, Harmoni China Biscuit Container Item number: 290307618140
Jigsaw with Cavaliers, Dalmations, and other puppies Item number: 290307622426
Cavalier KC Spaniel Club Year Book 1985 Item number: 290307602790

More to come over the weekend, but I will have to fight my Grandson for time on the computer

Margaret C

bidding

Im bidding on several bits margaret, im fishyfeetpleco, im not worried about winning im just trying to raise some money the same as you, di

Im bidding on several bits margaret, im fishyfeetpleco, im not worried about winning im just trying to raise some money the same as you, di

Thank you Di,

Three more items are now on eBay.

The Catherine Cookson Collection with one DVD missing Item number: 290307918624
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Slate Plaque Item number: 290307921066
rtCurve.gif
s.gif

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppy by Leonardo Item number: 290307922295
rtCurve.gif
s.gif

Margaret C

can i just ask, what exactly does the money raised go to? i think its fab doing anything the help the dogs i am just curious.

can i just ask, what exactly does the money raised go to? i think its fab doing anything the help the dogs i am just curious.

The money is to pay for a collection scheme when cavaliers with MRI confirmed SM die.

We have taken one donated cavalier to Cambridge. Cell tissue taken at the post-mortem actually went to four different projects, including the Genome research in Canada and MVD studies in Edinburgh.

There is another cavalier with terminal cancer registered with us.

Thanks to the help from members here, fundraising is going quite well and we have enough to pay the collection expenses of five more dogs. The big problem is trying to get the message to owners of SM affected dogs that are now old, or ill, and could be possible candidates for the scheme.

Below is the 'flyer' that I wrote when the scheme started.....

This is a plea to all owners with a cavalier that has Syringomyelia confirmed by an MRI scan

However sad the thought makes us, all our dogs will die at some time. There will be some owners who having seen their pets suffer from syringomyelia, would like to know that their loss could help unravel some of the mysteries of this painful condition

Professor Nick Jeffery (Cambridge University), Dr Clare Rusbridge (Stone Lion Veterinary Centre), & other researchers need owners to donate cell tissue, the basic material needed in the study of cavalier health problems, when their Syringomyelia affected cavaliers die.
The death can be from any cause but, as the primary aim of this scheme is to provide spinal cord tissue for SM research, the cavalier must have a positive diagnosis of SM.

Pancreatic and heart valve tissue will also be collected for use in separate studies

The Collection Scheme will pay for ten cavaliers bodies to be donated. It will provide a grant to help the owner transport their recently deceased pet to the nearest veterinary centre with a pathology department.
The cost of the post mortem, the fee for individual cremation and return of the ashes, and the cost of sending the donated tissue to the Universities will also be paid by the scheme

The deceased cavalier should be at least three months old and the cause of death can be for any reason, it does not have to be related to the syringomyelia diagnosis

All Cavalier owners are different, some will find themselves uncomfortable at the thought of donating their pet’s body for post mortem, preferring to bury them in a favourite spot in the garden
There are other owners, however, who would feel positive about giving their dog for post mortem examination, as long as they know they will have their pet’s ashes back and they can decide on their last resting place

The death of a much loved cavalier is a very emotional occasion and decisions made on the spur of the moment may later be regretted. Participation in this scheme is something that should be thought through carefully before the loss of the pet occurs

Any cavalier owner wanting more details are invited to contact-
Margaret Carter
Email: [email protected]

Margaret C

And another three......:)

Blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Model
Item number: 290309158565
Blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Model
Item number: 290309155900
Hammersley Bird of Paradise Lidded Vase or Pot
Item number: 290309152134

Margaret C

Bidding for some of the items close today. I recognise some familiar identities. Thank you my friends, but please don't feel obliged to bid.

I added a few more things during our enforced rest from Cavalier Talk. I'm putting some stuff from my Mother's house, her grumpy old William has SM, so she would have considered it a good cause.

Margaret C

Hi Margaret

Just a quick comment ,Rosie is fine no trouble at all re the patella ,It makes me mad now thinking of the vet who wanted to operate and of course (thankfully) as I have now officlally transferred over to Cranmoor Vets glad to say thay are all wonderfully healthy .Di where did you dream up that Ebay name "fishyfeetpleco" I was wondering if its got a second meaning for you .Thanks again Margaret ref our telecon got my eye on a couple of things.

Warmest Wishes
Brian608:)

i breed tropical fish, and am known as fishyfeet in another life brian. Margaret ive bidded on quite a few items, you might want to wait and post them altogether (the ones i win) the biscuit barrel i have no use for so please put it in a boot sale or something, i will of course pay for it. di

Hi all,
I collect vintage knit and crochet patterns if anybody has any of those to sell.

Jen and Ilsa

i breed tropical fish, and am known as fishyfeet in another life brian. Margaret ive bidded on quite a few items, you might want to wait and post them altogether (the ones i win) the biscuit barrel i have no use for so please put it in a boot sale or something, i will of course pay for it. di

I hope everyone got their things Ok.

Thank you for those that donated some items back, a few things went as raffle prizes to Kate's Cavalier Fun Day.

The latest items raised £ 88.27 when eBay fees & postage are taken off. Jan sent money direct for things she had sold. The big news is that we had two wonderful donations over the last month or so, one for £215 and the other, given to me at the Fun Day, was for £300. Thank you so much to two generous cavalier owners.

The total raised since we started in November is just over £1,900

I cannot say how much I appreciate the wonderful support for the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme. I have always said that it is the pet owners that are prepared to put their hands in their pockets to help our cavaliers, and my goodness, you are certainly proving I am right.

Please don't forget that we do need owners of cavaliers that have been diagosed with SM to know about the scheme, especially if their pet is getting old or frail.

Allowing a postmortem be done when your cavalier dies is not something that everyone would be able to do, but for those that choose to cremate their pets, it could be a positive action that would help other cavaliers in the future.

I still have more things to put on eBay ( friends keep donating things ) but this week I need to concentrate on getting together my evidence for the Bateson Review on Dog Breeding, and actually filling in the not very user friendly forms.
This thread will be back............

Margaret C

Hello, I have been otherwise engaged for a while, but have sold a few more bits and pieces on E-bay. Only £22 this time, but every little helps.

I am on holiday for a couple of weeks, but have still got a few more bits and pieces to sell so will post here when they are on.

Best wishes,

Update

I thought it was time that I did a bit more fund raising and gave an update on the SM Cavalier Collection scheme

I'm pleased to say that we now have the scheme shown on Dr Clare Rusbridge's homepage.
The beautiful dog in the photo is my Ch. Mareve Indiana ( Monty ) who was postmortemed by Clare when he died in 2004.
http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

For those that are interested, I have posted a little about the nitty gritty details of the scheme. For those that are very sensitive, you may just want to look at the fund raising information.......

We had our second little dog volunteered for postmortem a few weeks ago. She was eleven years old & had been MRI scanned in 2005. Her SM was well controlled with medication and she actually died of cancer.

This little cavalier died on a Friday in the late afternoon. There were wonderful volunteers ready to help transport the little body to Cambridge, but unfortunately there were no pathologists available to do the postmortem on the Saturday ( the PM has to be done within 24 hours, the body cannot be frozen )We had to call the collection off.

The owner was disappointed as she had been very keen that her little girl's death should help with research into this horrible condition.
Fortunately late that evening Dr Rusbridge offered to do the PM on the Saturday afternoon.
I cannot say how much I appreciated the volunteer who answered my last minute call at 10 pm on Friday, & dropped everything to deliver her to Wimbledon the next day.
I then contacted the duty vet to be told that the little body had been in the vet's freezer for a few hours. She was removed and fortunately was not so frozen as to be unsuitable for PM.

Her ashes are now safely back with her owner.

The fundraising has been doing quite well, Jan & Brian as always are wonderful, and I sold £110 worth of old Cavalier Club Year Books and was given an individual donation of £100 from a very generous breeder.

I have now put some more items on eBay. Please take a look.............

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Tricolour Cushion Item Id:290324262521

Small Picture of Two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Item Id:290324276748

Top Dog by C M McMuck, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Item Id:290324282688

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Syringomyelia Seminar DVD Item Id:290324321817

Back