• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The ideal weight

I think you'll get the same reply from most everyone. Depends on the size of the dog. How big is he? Shelby is 21 lbs and Jake is 24 lbs. Shelby could stand to lose a pound but Jake is perfect at his weight.

Sorry actually put the wrong weight up he is 27ibs,i know he needs to lose weight just wondering how much. But as u said there is no ideal weight.

If the weight is right, you should be able to easily feel the ribs, without them actually sticking out. Some say that the dog should have a waist at the end of it's ribcage, but Joly hasn't. I asked a respected judge friend to 'have a feel', last weekend, and she said he is fine, but his build prevents a waist showing. His waist area is quite muscled.

Your vet can tell you what he should be at. If he has a nice waist then he will be at a good weight. I've had cavaliers that were close to 40lb that were fit for their frame; just oversized. Breed standard in UK/Ireland is 12.5-18lbs but that isn;t meaningful of the dog has a larger or smaller build. Sam is a good solid dog with a larger frame so he would be emaciated at 18lbs.

Back