• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on our beautiful Ruby

Boots are NOT the cheapest and are fairly difficult to deal with. I get my pregablin from vetpharmacy.co.uk and pay £126.27 for 84 x 50mg (£1.50 per tablet). However, Sandra's quote from Tesco is by far the cheapest - I will try there next time. 25mg is a low dose - is that just twice a day? Dylan's on 50mg twice a day which seems to be the usual dose.

I found gabapentin had a sedative effect on Dylan to begin with but did not have any problems with the pregablin although it hasn't improved his symptoms at all.

I hope you see some improvement in Ruby soon.

Newsflash .........

My local vet is referring Ruby to Clare Rusbridge for a 2nd opinion before we progress with any invasive surgery. This is not a reflection on my opinion of Martin at Chestergates as he has been nothing but professional, informative and caring in all my dealings with him; it is more a case of making the best informed choice I can as Ruby's carer and Mummy ;)

I think that is very sensible, you need to be certain you are making the correct decision and this is a huge decision to have to make...

Hello dizzy

Firstly my kindest thoughts to you and Ruby at this horrible time and I hope the outcome of all this is nothing but good .
Living in Prenton in Cheshire with Chestergates about 10 minutes away and as I and my little girl Rosie have recently visited them with Rosie having a full Scan with Martin ,it is informative seeing other peoples opinions and ideas of Martin and Chestergates as a facility as really when any of our beloved Cavaliers become poorly and scans or advice for related illness's are required our choice of locations seems to be Stone Lion or Chestergates .So when either of these places or people may be required it is so important to oneself to know you have chosen correctly and wisely and that you have total confidence in that persons skills and that if things do not turn out that you have no recriminations or guilt that you may have picked the wrong practice irrespective of distance traveled and time taken .
My best wishes to you on your visit to see Clare .

If you're contemplating any major surgical procedure,a second opinion is always valuable...whether it's a dog or a human.
Good luck with your appointment on the 16th.
Sins

Agree with Sins -- and will add that experts differ on their beliefs and approaches and a pet owner needs to listen to the various perspectives, research as best as possible to help them ask the questions they want answered, then make a decision that seems the best to them.

There is often no 'right' answer -- much of medical care is subjective when it comes to conditions like this. I'd want a second opinion before undertaking any invasive procedure, and I'd want to hear a strong defense of doing any procedure that varies from general practice.

If you're contemplating any major surgical procedure,a second opinion is always valuable...whether it's a dog or a human.
Good luck with your appointment on the 16th.
Sins

Just what I was going to post. There are different approaches to treating SM and you have to go with what feel best for your dog and you.

Hi Pauline/Sins

Say after two opinions they were both the same how would one choose who to carry out the necessary procedure or would one go by your own instinct .:? What I am trying to ask in a very roundabout way is if say one of my girls required surgery which both Stone Lion and Chestergates could offer and it was planned surgery so no emergencies and therefore for me distance no object what advice could you offer as to how I could arrive at a decision .

As long as you're dealing with a "centre of excellence", ie a well equipped hospital with experienced vets I would always choose the one nearer.
If any post op complications developed,such as haemorrhage or infection,then you would be able to get immediate veterinary attention rather than travelling across the country at short notice.
Sins

Hmm...I agree with Sinead but I did in fact travel a little further to see Clare, the RVC is nearer. My original neuro at the RVC where Dylan first went had moved on to another practice. I requested Stone Lion because Clare has a wonderful caring reputation and a passion for her work. I felt I trusted her before I met her.

Visit to Clare ........

Well we went to see Clare yesterday here's an account of my day .....

Up at 2.15am with Ruby - something had 'spooked' her and she wouldn't settle. Being the good mummy I that I am !!!! I cuddled her on the settee where she promptly fell asleep snoring and I remained wide awake until our 'get up time' of 4.30am arrived.

We left the house at 5am and I offered to drive as I was wide awake and knew I would be tired at the end of the day so Aidy could drive home. Fog, Fog, fog and mad HGV drivers kept us company for most of the journey! :drivecar:

Arrived at Stonelion at 10.20 (20 mins late) and saw the wonderful Clare. I love her philosophy of treating the Patient and not just the scan results. Of course - professionally she couldn't tell us not to have the shunt surgery but what she did do was explain in detail experiences she has had and the options available to us. I made it clear that I needed to be told if I was choosing an option for my benefit (avoiding the reality of Ruby's condition) or for Ruby's best interest.

It was at this point that Aidy announced he 'didn't feel well' and promptly went weak on us. Clare sprung into action whilst I just went into panic mode! Aidy has never done this before but we can only conclude that he felt tired, stuffy, hot and didn't like hearing about surgery options etc. Hmmmm I'll be keeping an eye on him. Although I have to say I did find the room hot, small and stuffy so maybe that's all it was. icon_nwunsure

Anyway, back to Rubes - Clare was satisfied that her clinical signs don't suggest that she is at the stage of needing surgery but suggested a change in medication. An increase in Pregabelin dose - from 75mg up to possible 150mg a day. Keeping on with the Frusemide and introducing Previcox 1 tab a day.

We intend to try this new medication and keep a diary of how well Ruby responds/tolerates it and I will liaise with Clare in a month or so to review.

So, no surgery yet (if at all) and well worth the visit / 2nd opinion. (y)

Coming home I decided I had better drive (due to Aidy incident) and found myself in Knightsbridge (following TomTom !) It hadn't brought us through London coming but for some reason brought us that way home - £8.00 congestion fee !!! :swear:

On M1 just before Toddington Sevices as I was overtaking a lorry the acceleration disappeared on my car - very,very scary. Luckily Aidy sorted us out (Overheated Coils or something like that?!) and I continued driving...... :slp:

Home at 8pm and straight to bed to find my lovely Mum had been and left a tray with a flask of Hot Chocolate and biscuits on my bed side table - perfect!:hug:

Ruby slept like a baby and so far is tolerating the Previcox.

All in all a very eventful day!!

I know Clare reads these boards so, if you're reading this can I just Thank You sincerely for your expertise, gentleness with Ruby, quick action with Aidy, taking the time to explain things so well, understanding of our concerns, honesty, integrity when talking about other practices and most of all your devotion to the well being of our beautiful Cavaliers. :flwr:

Thanks also to Margaret C as always for her interest in Ruby, advice and bravery in speaking out for our 4 legged friend even though she has suffered back lash for doing so. cavtiny

Thanks to Karlin, Pauline and all of you for being interested, caring and above all such a wonderful support network for times when the going gets tough.:thnx:

Love Dawn x

You are very welcome Dawn :hug:

Dylan is on 50mg Pregabalin twice a day. Is 50mg three times a day the maximum dose?

Hello Dawn,

I was thinking about you.
So pleased you got there and back safely, although the whole day obviously had some very hair raising moments.

I hope Aidy's funny turn proves to be just a one-off.

You really did have a driving marathon. Didn't you do well?
We just don't know what we are capable of achieving until circumstances force us into coping with the near impossible.

It is strange about the SatNavs. My one has taken me a variety of routes to Wimbledon. I'm never sure which bridge I will end up crossing.

Fingers crossed for Ruby.

I am so so so glad you got a second opinion. Not saying anything about either one, but if you feel in your gut not right, a second opinion seemed to help.

It seems after much worry, You feel better so I'm glad the appointment went well, no car accidents and got a good night. I really hope the medication helps.

I hope Ruby feels better

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So far, so good. A definite improvement just by adding Previcox - very little air

scratching on waking after a long sleep or when excited by door bell !! Very happy in

herself - playful and inviting play with her toys :wggle:.

Going up to 50mg dose 2 x day from tomorrow.

Aidy went to get her Pregabelin earlier from our usual chemist and was charged £4.90

for 60 x 50mg I rang them on his return to explain we owed them a lot of money!

The Phamacist informed me that they had triple checked the price as they knew they

are very costly but it is a central computer and she couldn't over-ride the price !

Hoping for continued good progress for our little lady :d*g:

Dawn x

Back