• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight?

Mae Cushing

My 4 month old tricolor Lilly was the runt of her litter and is extremely small for her age. She came home at 9 weeks at 2 1/2lbs and is 4.10lbs now and as I said already 4months! She is completely healthy and has a great appetite. Should I be concerned? I reached out to the breeder and she said that both her parents were 15lbs and she should be a little smaller then that and to not worry because Cavaliers take a full year to grow. My other Cavalier Sophie came home at I believe around 5lbs and by 4 months I think she was closer to 8lbs. I've been having dreams Lilly's full grown weight is 5lbs. As much as I don't mind having a tiny dog-I don't want her weight to hold her back and I want her to be able to play with other dogs and let her play in the yard without being worried about hawks.

Thoughts, feedback and your reassurance is much appreciated!!

Thank you!

Sadly some breeders do try to breed very small Cavaliers which can cause health issues. Make sure your very is aware that your puppy is undersized for the breed, them monitor her carefully. As long as she is growing, active (obviously puppies need to sleep a lot too) and the very is happy, she should be OK.

You don't want a puppy to grow too fast -- sounds like you are taking the right approach if she has a healthy appetite. :) Runts often catch up with their littermates as long as there isn't anything actually wrong with the puppy that is causing them to remain small.

Back