• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why so few B&T Owners??

So far I have met pretty equal amounts that I have my little guy but I would love love love a female black and tan for Maverick to have a little sister.

I didn't want a b&t originally I wanted a tri but when I went to see the litter I fell in love with them. Wouldn't part with him for the world. There are not many B&t around here, I traveled about 3/4 to an hour away for him. I did see a breeder once in a nearby town with two of them and he was a bit put out because he thought he was the only one breeding B & ts around the county. As for them not doing any good in shows, Barney's dad got a reserve in one of the parts at crufts last year, so they can't be that bad.:)

I truly think that the reason the whole colors are less popular is that they seem to be photographed less. When researching breeds so often the parti colors are front and center and that makes an impression on anybody who is just new into Cavaliers.

I started out of course years ago thinking that the Blenheim was most attractive. After going to shows and studying the breed and seeing thousands of Cavaliers I have developed a huge attraction to the wholecolors - the only thing being I adore a splash of white on the chest just to add some flavor. Ruby is my favorite, followed closely by Black and Tan. The other colors just look too ordinary now.

My husband still adores the Blenheims and Tricolors.

Arlene and her three.

Arlene and her three.

B&Ts are my least favorite, while rubies are my fav (at the moment--it changes a lot;)) I have never seen a B&T in person. I suspect that B&Ts look better in person than in pictures. The thing that I think people love about cavaliers (looks-wise) is their sweet faces. The B&Ts face doesnt stand out as much as the others with all of that black (at least in pics). I think they are beautiful dogs and they are adorable as puppies but that is why they are my least favorite.

When I was looking for a B&T, I had to travel far to get my girl Kiki. She was a law unto herself and thats what I loved most about her - her cheeky personality. I love B&T''s. They have such wonderful shiney coats, the pups look like they have been polished. I have 3 B&T's and love them all, each have their own personalities and are wonderful. I feel whole colours should be shown in a group of their own as B&T's dont do very well in the show ring and thats a shame.:)

Whole-colours have for a very long time been considered to be the "poor relations" in the breed, when I started I wanted a Tri bitch, I soon found out I was shooting for the moon on that one! For many years I have rarely liked Rubies very much as the solid colour can make their expression "hard" (grumpy looking!) When you do see a top quality wholecolour though the whole world sits up and takes notice!! Having said that I don't really like Rubies 2 of my favourite all time dogs are the father son duo "Ch.Harana Too Darn Hot" who was a Crufts BOB winner, and his son "Harana Courtney", whom is in Europe now and a champion in his own right too!

When I started hankering after a B/T of my own (Bev R's Ebony is to blame for that!) I went on several breeders waiting lists and am still waiting now some 3 years on! So I mated my Tri girl to of all things, a RUBY!! In that litter is Teddy who I simply cannot take my eye's off (B/T)!

Finally what doesn't help matters is that the breed standard is written and based on the Blenheim (Ann's Son actually) and the fact that solid colouring on the bodies can exagerate/draw attention to construction faults whereas with the parti-Colours a patch in just the right place can hide a mutitude of sins!!:rolleyes:

I feel whole colours should be shown in a group of their own

That would be a pleasure to see and would make sense to me. I know many breeders would like to see this.

I really enjoy all the B&T pics people post -- esp. the puppies! I've enough cavaliers for the moment though but you never know... :lol:

I remember asking Cathryn a question about the demand for B&T a few weeks ago.When I got Daisy she was one of a litter of three females, two blenheims and one Black and tan.The B&T was sold first and I'm sure she was a lovely pup.
You don't often come across B&Ts for sale,if they are available they're usually more expensive from what I've seen, and Daisy's breeder claims B&Ts are less robust than Blenheims and need to be kept for a bit longer before being ready for sale and need extra care in the early weeks.(Don't know if this is widespread or just her experience)
The thing that I love about Blenheims is the contrast between the white fur and the rich chestnut.When the sun hits the coat it literally radiates and makes for a more stunning dog.
Sins

I really enjoy all the B&T pics people post -- esp. the puppies! I've enough cavaliers for the moment though but you never know... :lol:

Aw C'mon Karlin you know they are "collectable"!! ;) ;)

Most of the Cavalier Clubs have a seperate class for each of the 4 colours at their Championship/Open/Limit shows, sometimes though, there is class for B/T & Ruby and Blenheim & Tri-colour, although usually this happens at the (Breed Club) Open Shows.

I have also known at the General Championship shows for there to be a Special Wholecolour class too, although there are many breeder/exhibitors out there who will say that if the dog is good enough it will win it's class no matter what colour the jacket is! :lol: Having yet to have a WholeColour I can show (Teddy has a white shirt front) I will sit on the fence on that one, although there have been some beautiful new UK WholeColour Champions made up recently!

Finally what doesn't help matters is that the breed standard is written and based on the Blenheim (Ann's Son actually) and the fact that solid colouring on the bodies can exagerate/draw attention to construction faults whereas with the parti-Colours a patch in just the right place can hide a mutitude of sins!!

This is such an interesting thread! My breeder, who has mostly wholecolors, said just what Cathryn said, that it's much harder to get a good looking wholecolor because their structural flaws are more obvious than in the parti-colors. She said that in her opinion rubies are the hardest, followed by B&Ts. My little Truman's father, who is a B&T, is an international champion (I'm not sure which show/category), so I'm really happy to know that since I now know that they usually don't do well in shows :)

At first I wanted a blenheim, but then the rubies really caught my eye. B&Ts were actually my least favorite for a while, but now I love them...I actually like having the two "least popular" colors since there are lots of blenheims and tris out there. Not many people know what they are where I live...they think they're mixes or Cockers, others thought Miles was a Golden...and they have no clue what little T is! :lol:

My favorite used to be the tri. Now I don't care, if all colors have the personality of Scout I would take any color.

I'm starting to look for a second Cavalier and I don't care what color she is.

I personally think that Black and Tans are the most stunning colour of the breed! I do agree that they don't photograph well (most of my shots of Jack came out very dark, and it was very difficult to see his features unless in a really well-lit situation)
In real life, they just look amazing. The black coat always looks so glossy and striking.
My Mum always says that b&t's are real 'choclate box' dogs - all thats missing is a big bow around their necks. And I have to say - I most definitely agree!! :)

I have GOT to see a B&T in real life! People keep mentioning how glossy their black coats are. Is is more glossy than a tri with lots of black? Does it have a different feel to it?

you must really see one before you can judge. I too was never so keen on the B/T until I saw one in person - lovely:) but yes agree getting a photo can be hard! I mainly photo Pebbles outside in the day light. I have a dark brown sofa and when she is laying on it she actually just looks like a "Pebble!!" and you cant see her!

When I photograph my B&Ts I dont use the flash. It seems to help. Sit them on a blue or white background or in sunshine......hard but fab when you get a good shot.

My Poppy

poppyapril11th.jpg

Originally posted by karenc - hard but fab when you get a good shot.
I agree, I have loads of very dark pic's of Jack - but the good ones are amazing. Some I've posted below. I have loads more, but need to get them uploaded to my laptop..
How could you resist those big eyes?? :luv:
2380265161_918c88b6de_m.jpg
2381140108_cfa249cee6_m.jpg

2380994184_4bd4899e04_m.jpg
2380192697_abccdfc4cf_m.jpg

karenC I´ve said it before but your Poppy is gorgeous!!!
Have you ever shown her???
Hopefully I´ll get a B/t girl myself one day,I just lov'em:)
I prefer wholecolours but I think they should be shown seperetely from the particolors.

I agree about the glossy coats being beautiful. I rescued two b&ts this past December for Lucky Star, and even though they were covered in hanging mats and fleas, had never seen a groomer, and lived outside all year long in a muddy pen, I gave them one bath and they shined like new pennies. It was amazing to me how glossy their coats were!

ETA: That picture of Poppy is gorgeous! What a pretty dog she is!

Back