• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winterhaven Cavaliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meagan_myers

Hello
I have been interested in getting a cavalier for some time now. I am not in a rush, so I have just been researching them a little. I have come across Winterhaven Cavaliers and a puppy that just "speaks" to me. Are any of you familiar with Winterhaven? Any opinions?
I have contacted the breeder and she says that she was going to keep this puppy for show, but it is looking like she may be a little on the small side (perfect for me).
What do you think?

cavpup.jpg

I am not in a rush, but for some reason I feel this dog is meant for me. My husband and I have a 13 y/o Shitzu. He feels we shouldn't get another dog until she is no longer with us (she is very spoiled). But I don't want to pass up on a dog that seems right.

Any replies to this thread please PM or email Meagan privately, thanks! I do not want any discussion on the board of individual breeders. (y)

Welcome to the board, Meagan -- glad to have you here but please, before any further posts, stop and go read the Getting Started section on what is allowable to post. You will note that I ask that no discussion take place on individual breeders or kennels. I do not mind a question being asked but please request private responses for anything of this kind.

I am going to lock the thread to further online public replies but anyone with information or views is welcome to contact Meagan directly.

(y)

I should add: check the post here for information generally on finding a good cavalier breeder:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2757

The key things should be finding a breeder who thoroughly health tests and can show you all certificates, shows, explains potential health problems openly to you (MVD and SM in particular), registers the dogs with recongised national clubs, not the bogus registries, has known dogs/champions in the immediate background of the puppy's pedigree, not three or four generations away.

It CAN be very traumatic for some older dogs to suddenly have another dog, especially a really active puppy, introduced to the home. How is the shih tzu with other visiting dogs? Does she like dogs generally? Is she friendly and active? If not -- it may be best to wait. Otherwise you may end up in a situation of having to rehome the cavalier and stressing out your elderly dog, so you want to do what is best for both dogs. A certified behaviourlist could probably help you assess the situation in advance, if needed.

Also send a PM to Nancy on this board; she is based in Wisconsin and will know this breeder, I am sure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back