• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

At the vets again

Gabapentin is a human medication and vets won't stock it. You will need to get a prescription for it.

I hope that Becky and Penny are feeling better soon. It is so difficult having a pup that does not feel well. I feel so bad for them.

I lost my tri charlie boy who was paralised, this time last year .............

A year already ? How time flies. Mind, you, Izzy's been gone 6 months.

Hopefully, Becky had a slight infection, causing her temperature, which her bodywas able to fend off. If she felt hot and 'fluey' she, like us humans, would not feel inclined to move about.

Her legs are weak again now that she's calmed down from the vet.

penny is fine , very quiet , but the vet said thats normal until they get used to the heart medication.

I'm reading your posts with lots of saddness too. I've lost 2 cavs from heart failure and my current 9 1/2 year old is on heart meds/diuretics/arthritis medications too. Like so many of you, I wouldn't trade my time spent with any of them due to MVD.

Here in the states, Sophie is on Previcox for her arthritis. It doesn't seem to have the side effects that Rimadyl does. Not sure what the match would be there for you tho'. I've found that even increasing a few days of the diuretic when we hit a bad spot does seem to help. Sometimes i think she just needs more fluid pulled off and then we drop back to our regular doseage.

She's a little cutie even in her carriage!!

Sheri

Gabapentin is a human medication and vets won't stock it. You will need to get a prescription for it.

Actually Karlin, both our vet and neurologist are carrying it now. And surprisingly it's much less expensive than when I was getting it filled at the pharmacy.

Spencer's Mom, how did you get your vet to stock the gabapentin? I've been paying around $20 for 180 100mg capsules. What dosage is Spencer on these days? I give Molly 200mg 2x a day and 100mg before bedtime.

Actually, Bev, I didn't even have to ask. When I was there with one of my cats in May our vet said they started carrying it. I know there are four or five other dogs in their practice who take it for seizures so maybe they thought it would be profitable for them to carry. The neurologist always carried it but they are 40 miles from us and would only let me take 30 days worth at a time. They wrote me a prescription instead.

$20 for 180 capsules is a GREAT price. When I was getting it filled at the pharmacy I found Target was the cheapest and they charged $55 for 120 100mg. I'm getting two months at a time from the vet and it's about $60 for 240 capsules. Spence is still on 200mg twice a day (7:30am and 7:30pm) so 120 capsules a month. He's been scratching a lot but I don't want to increase the dose so I ordered some Nerve Eight to try.

Penny Our cavalier died this morning. She was fine yesterday but deteriated over night. Her medication didnt help.........
She was only 7 according to her last owner.

I lost an 8 year old under very similar circumstances a few years ago. I wonder if they had a different type of heart problem as it was very different to our other older dogs.

Becky is ok, Though she had another bad turn on wednesday.

I am so sorry to read that you lost Penny. Run free little one there will loads to welcome you and play with you and I am sure someone will lend you a snuggly blanket too.

Oh Angela I'm so sorry to hear about Penny. She was very special, and it's good that she had a lovely year with you - more than you were expecting.

I'm sorry too about your concerns with Becky - she is such a sweetheart. The heat in her head can be from Syringomyelia - mine have "hot spots" like this too. Do try to get her on the Gabapentin, it should help her.

Thinking of you all.

So sorry to read about Penny Angela, it must have been an awful shock for you.
Run free little Penny.

Back