• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Carol Fowler

I think we had the same e-mail Karlin :)

Will pass on all thanks again anyway! there are ways that you can all help and I'm sure you will hear more at a later time.

So many thanks again from Carol.

Alison.

Hi Karlin ,
Maybe it would be helpful to produce a standard letter for everyone to print out and post to their local TD . To make sure that the correct wording is used as to what is needed to help with breeding healthy dogs .
If it could be put up to be downloaded .
Mimi

Hi Karlin ,
Maybe it would be helpful to produce a standard letter for everyone to print out and post to their local TD . To make sure that the correct wording is used as to what is needed to help with breeding healthy dogs .
If it could be put up to be downloaded .
Mimi

that would be helpful as alot of the termanology and science confuses me.

if anyone knows Carol in RL give her a BIG hug from me and Peaches pls

Margaret Carter, also featured in the programme, is also a member here and posted very courageous messages in several discussion threads on these issues.

I take my hat off to Margaret for her input in this programme. I know how guilty she still feels about her beloved Monty siring pups whilst suffering from SM and unlike some of those breeders she was completely unaware of his illness. Unlike those, she has nothing to feel guilty about and has worked tirelessly ever since to promote healthy breeding.

Meanwhile on other lists the breeders are busy discounting Clare's decade plus of research and the results of all the other researcher studies. Of course if they dismiss Clare's work, then that is a direct rejection of any work Sarah Blott will do, as Sarah's EBV's are based directly on Clare and Penny's work. If Clare's work is nonsensical, as they argue, then Sarah's cannot possibly have any value either.

Nothing new there really, they've been discounting it on some lists all along!

Some of the very same people supposedly supporting Sarah's work (whose backs we saw leaving the very meeting at which they pledged that support) are busy making these comments elsewhere, so I will leave it up to readers to think about how much actual breeder support there will be for Sarah's work.

Hmmmmm exactly. I daren't show my vface on those lists or my new computer might blow up! I'm sure it was my anger on those lists that caused half of the problems the other one died from ;)

I hope the intelligent and sensible breeders do come forward and build on the important work already done by earlier researchers by continuing to MRI and give support to Sarah Blott and the closely connected genome study of Clare and Penny, on which Sarah's final, proposed gEBVs rest entirely.

I think that the breeders who ARE intelligent and sensible and who care deeply about the welfare of their progeny will give as much support as possible. I wish I could win the lottery to fund more work into it. I'd love nothing better than to die knowing than every Cavalier born was going to be healthy and long lived. I live with nerve pain on a daily basis and I still don;t think there is anything scarier than seeing your beloved furbaby having a screaming attack and being totally out of control :'(

This is so so wonderful! That documentary has really and truly exposed some dark truths of dog breeding and thanks to pioneers like Carol Fowler, Margaret C and Clare Rusbridge. and Karlin SM can no longer be ignored. This is such a rush that the 'bad breeders' can be shamed and hopefully stopped. Truly amazing.... the idea about making a standard letter would be wonderful... I can translate it into Dutch and spread the campaign over to The Netherlands as well....

Keep up the good work and good luck in working through all of the emails and calls... truly amazing ladies!

xx

I would echo what everyone else has said, although I knew about SM from my reading on this site it is a completely different thing seeing a dog suffering in front of your own eyes. After the programme I went and woke my two up for a cuddle as it really upset me and I couldn't imagine going through the pain of seeing a member of your family suffer like that.

You ladies are truly amazing and like others have said I will be happy to help in any way that I can and think the idea of a standard letter would be great.:rah:

Carol Fowler, Margaret C and Clare Rusbridge....you ladies rock!!! The big name breeders may not support you but you can rest assured that thousands of us lowly little pet owners sure do. Bless you for all you are doing for our wonderful little breed.

"Somebody quoted in the documentary last night that every breed needs a Carol Fowler.
I agree 100%, but they also need a Margaret C and Clare Rusbridge and Karlin Lillington!

You ladies have done and continue to do so much for this wonderful breed and you are all to be hugely applauded cl*p"

I agree with this totally as well - so well done to everyone that is bringing these awful conditions to the forefront. I lost my first Cav to MVD and Cinders has it as well.

If there is anything we can do please let us know - as before a standard letter would be fantastic! I would certainly get it sent to as many people as possible, people power is what is needed in these situations and it does work!

Well done to the BBC on bringing these problems to the attention of everyone.

Last edited:
A "Thank you" from Carol.

I had a chat with Carol this morning and she is just fine. :)

Carol has been inundated with well wishes and offers of help after the film and she just asked if I would say a huge "Thank You" to all of you on her behalf. It means so much to have the support.

I'm sure in time Carol will return your e-mails etc.

Alison.

I'm sure in time we will all know what we can do to help.

I think at this very moment she is owed at least a few days to rest and recover in peace and quiet after all the hard work!

Alison.

you know i am glad she is to busy to come here and talk to us, it means she is getting lots of help from other places and hopefully giving the cause of breeding pedigree dogs a big boost :D

I really think it is simply a matter of taking a bit of a break and slowly working through contacts. I know Carol is totally snowed under with responses.

I know she has replied to all emails received. I did send along some of your details but maybe those got buried amongst all her replies. I will Pm you her email address.

You ladies have done and continue to do so much for this wonderful breed and you are all to be hugely applauded

I can just put my name under this. Thank you all for what you are doing for our lovely breed.

I am from another country, but If I can do anything to help, I would love to.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

I hope that at last I've managed to join CavalierTalk and figure out how to post messages on this forum.

First, thanks to all of you who have sent messages to me and particulary if you have offered to help. I have been inundated, but hopefully I've now caught up. If I haven't replied to you, I apologise. It will have been an oversight or the message hasn't reached me. Please contact me again privately. I have written a list of suggestions of how people can help which I will attach to my email in reply.

Needless to say I will continue campaigning on behalf of Cavaliers and other dogs suffering from hereditary health problems. The more of us who do so the quicker solutions will be found and some protection provided for our much loved canine companions.

Best Wishes

Carol

Back