• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Depressed New Puppy

rubys mom

aww poor little chap makes my heart sink well at least hes getting all the help now hope he gets better soon :xfngr: :luv:

Glad to hear he is on the up at least! I would also be interested to hear what his breeder has to say, no excuse for sloppy vaccination routines at all! :mad:

I would also be interested to hear what his breeder has to say, no excuse for sloppy vaccination routines at all! :mad:
Same here. How could this puppy's breeder knowingly do this - to the puppy and to the puppy's new family? :sl*p:

So glad you got your puppy to the vet right away. Good job on your part realizing that your puppy's behavior didn't feel right. Hoping the antibiotics clear up his virus and that he's back in good form soon.

Please keep us posted. I will be thinking about you.

Same here. How could this puppy's breeder knowingly do this - to the puppy and to the puppy's new family? :sl*p:

So true, I mean we give our children their vaccinations when they need them, why not our pets too? Prevention is better than cure eh?? Not to mention cheaper in the long run!!

Thanks for all the messages everyone. He's doing much better today but he's still not right, so I think I'll be bringing him back to the vet on Tuesday morning. We he went to the toilet this morning, i saw a few small drops of blood on the patio afterwards. My parents had a cav a few years back and aI remember him having the same issue when his anal glands became full. I guess with his upset tummy, the same has happened to bobby. He's in good form however and much more playful now.

As for the breeder, I think its partly our fault. We should have been more thorough in our questioning. Once we saw the pup, we couldn't leave him behind no matter what.

Depressed Puppy

When we first brought our babies home they too were very depressed and listless for a couple of days, after a vet check and lots of cuddles they were absolutly great. We have 3, Lady a Bleinheim, Pippa a Tri and Treacle a B/T. All 3 are very naughty bundles of pooping joy!!!!;)

Bleeding can be a sign that something is seriously wrong -- it is one of the signs of parvovirus and parvo can kill in days. I would consider getting him to a vet tomorrow if you can. I would not wait until Tuesday if there's blood again in the morning. Many vet practices will have someone in on bank holidays -- mine in Dublin do (and I will be in there tomorrow with a rescue cavalier with bad eyes...). Anal glands don't ever generally cause bleeding (there's no blood in there!) unless they rupture, which is extremely painful and would need medical treatment. A puppy this young would really not have full anal glands though, so this is unlikely to be the problem -- serious worms or gastroenteritis could be the problem, but as your vet is already concerned about parvo exposure, I'd have him seen asap.

Parvo:

http://www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm

From which:

The Symptoms of Parvo
Parvovirus disease is remarkable in that symptoms can vary from none at all to a fatal disease. Four factors govern the severity of the disease: age at exposure, the size of the virus dose, the presence of maternal antibody, and the breed of dog involved.
Dogs receive transient maternal antibody from their mothers through their first milk or colostrum. This antibody gives the puppy resistance to the disease. Puppies that are housed in a parvo-filled environment rarely break with the disease until they reach 14-20 weeks of age. At that time their mother’s immunity no longer protects them and they may die of the disease.
Dogs over six month of age develop natural resistance to the effects of parvovirus. Many of these dogs show only transient diarrhea. By the time the dog reaches one or two years of age the disease can be so mild that it passes unnoticed by the owners.
For unknown reasons, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers and Pit Bull Terriers become more ill with this disease than other breeds.

The most common form of parvovirus infection is a sudden (acute) inflammation of the small intestine or enteritis. This is characterized by depression, vomiting, diarrhea and profound dehydration. Bloody stools and a drop in white blood cell numbers are common. Some puppies die as soon as diarrhea occurs but many linger on for 4-6 days. Those that survive eight days usually recover. The lack of white blood cells and ulceration of the lining of the small intestine lead to secondary bacterial infections. There are many other virus and bacteria that can cause bloody diarrhea in dogs. This leads to misdiagnosis where not all cases of “Parvo” in puppies and adults are actually due to this virus.

Because the puppy has no vaccination protection at this time, you want to be ultra cautious. (y)

Poor pet also has conjunctivitis as well. We only have him 4 days!
My puppy had conjunctivitis as well which appeared a few days after we brought her home.The minimum you'd expect is an immunised, IKC registered pup with a puppy pack from the breeder containing the food that the puppy was being weaned on and an advice sheet on feeding and general health.
I wouldn't feed a pup pedigree chum,for a cavalier puppy choose a premium grade puppy food(your vet or pet shop can advise), suitable for it's age.The breeder told me to add one part puppy food and three parts of water and leave the food soak and soften for about 3 or 4 hours and then feed.If the food is too rich apparently the pup may pass bloody stools(that's what I was told anyway).Usually once the puppy has fed expect it to poop shortly after so if you can't take it outdoors try placing it on newspaper until you can arrange vaccines.
I'm sure there's no absolutely one correct method to wean a puppy but as long as the puppy thrives and grows, that's the end objective.
Sins

Thanks Karlin, you've scared me with that last post. There was blood in the stools this morning again and he still has diarrhea. He's in great form however and is eating and drinking. Anyways, to be on the safe side I rang the vet on call and he said to bring him to the clinic in an hour. Poor Bobby, I really hope he hasn't parvo. It sounds so horrible.

We have a cav who is now 7 months, and when we first got her she had diarrhea and a little spot of blood every now and then. Needless to say, I was going out of my mind!!! For the first few days, I thought it was maybe just because the breeder had wormed her and she mentioned that her 'needs' may be a wee bit soft for a day or two. But then I became worried when it continued. I was feeding her on pedigree for two days, then after some reading changed her right away. The amount of rubbish that goes in to some dog foods is unbelievable.
We took her to the vet and they done numerous little tests.... told me to get her off of pedigree for a start... and it turned out she had colitis.

To be honest, through reading, I found that feeding raw (the BARF diet) seemed to be the best option, but I couldnt face that... so the next best thing I believe is going for either James Wellbeloved or Burns dog kibble. Both are above most other brands. I wet the kibble just a little bit, so that the outside is a little soft, but with a crunch in the middle. Holly loves it, and we have her colitis under control with it! She's not good with chicken, cheese (which we had tried as a little treat during training).... and numerous other things!

I hope your little pup is ok! :xfngr:

There's a lot of bleeding gastroenteritis going around which can also be quite serious. I had my Leo into the vet first thing this morning with it -- he had fine stools on his walk last night at 10 and by 4 am he was having liquid poops; and by 8:30 am was passing blood. The vet actually wanted to keep him in on a drip so it can get very serious very fast; always better to be safe that sorry. PS Needless to say I am pretty tired right now!

Thanks for the advice Karlin - hoefully it won't get across the Irish sea in this weather.....

Hope Leo feels better soon :paw:

Back from the vet again! :p. She doesn't think its parvo. She thinks its an infection. More antibiotics and we took 4 shots home with us as well to give him every second day. He's perked up again once he's had the antiobiotics. If he doesn't improve by the morning, they'll do a full blood work on him. Thanks for all the advise everybody.

Back