• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diary of a dog sitter.

*Pauline*

And when I say loads, I mean I've lost count! It was 17 but some have retired since I last counted and have been homed and 4 extra dogs are boarding this week. I have 10 in the house, 4 of which are puppies and the rest are in the kennels.

It's not much work really, so far. Sophie, an old girl who is boarding, kept them all up last night so they are all sleepy.

Poor Dylan is being bullied a bit by Gabriel. I can't put Gabriel in the kennels because he has a sore eye. Dylan just wants to stay under the dining room table so I made him a bed there but if I take him into the lounge, he wants back in with the others.

Tonight I have to go into the kennels and manage to feed them all and separate one dog who has soft food on his own. Easier said than done. They all go crazy noisy!

The grooming girls are very nice, I've been making them tea all day.

The puppies are nice. 2 are a week old and 2 are 17 days old. I'm not so interested until they can walk. I don't have to do much with them, just change the bedding in the morning and feed their mums.

It's a lovely house and I have a great room with a memory foam matress, I'm going to get one when I get home. I woke up with no back pain for the first time in years.

:D

keeping busy i see,well at least its grotty weather and you guys arnt getting all hot and bothered,i think the cooler weather is better when your kept busy,hope all goes well .jus.

I love this diary idea. Keep it up Pauline. This is great.

Also, I'm so happy to hear about your good nights rest. Sounds like you will also have to buy a memory mattress

Well, Dylan has spent a lot of time under the table hiding from Gabriel, a tri a few weeks younger than him but much bigger. Last time I looked though, they were both asleep under the table together. Gabriel has moved onto Jamie, Dylan's brother, I'm keeping an eye on them. Just by coincidence, Dylan's brother, Gran and Great Gran are all here this week. I'll take pics and post them when I get home.

I have to go sweep up the run before I go to bed and lock them up for the night. I have to say, that many dogs is a little daunting, they are very vocal. It's been hailing and raining loads so the saw dust will be all wet :rolleyes:

I have to give one dog his pills and feed him separately in the morning. I don't know how I am going to get him on his own. It's easy to look after the dogs in the house though, 11 in all now, Dylan, Jamie, Jessie, Gabriel, Angelina, Megan and her two pups, Jazzy and her two pups.

I'm gutted I didn't have Dylan's brother, he's so like Dylan. Remember me thinking about it ages ago? Jenny is kicking herself too, he's teeth came in perfect and he could have been shown but she sold him. If I'd co owned him, she could have shown him. I wasn't ready at the time though and still am not.

It's a lovely and quiet and it's great to be away from Ash's music and the odd little arguments we have :rolleyes: I'm already a bit lonely though. Jenny's daughter is popping in tomorrow, I hope, as the groomers are away until Thursday morning :confused:

Abby one of the groomers is going to pick two of the puppies names. I was hoping she would pick Abigail as this is her name and my middle name. She likes the names Cleo (spelling?) and Harley.

Oh bum, I missed Eastenders, they have sky here, can I catch it later? What might the channel be? ;)

I feel bad for the dogs in the kennels. Two boarders came in today, sweet little old girls. They really don't like being in the kennel. What do you think about kennels? If you have used one, what's the set up? I'm off to bed, early start tomorrow. :slp:

I always feel sad for dogs that live in kennels. I felt bad enough when we used to have to put the Boxers in the dog-run when we were at work, but because they were Houdinis as youngsters, it was the only option to keep them safe. But as soon as we got home they'd be let out and of course would sleep in the house infront of the fire or on my bed.

I think dogs belong in the home, but I am a bit of a marshmallow.

The dogs are all together in the kennel and some bullying must go on. This is what worries me. I'm not sure I'd want Dylan to board if he wasn't kept in the house.

I stink of dog wee, I must have trodden in something! I'm off for a shower before Jamie's owners come to pick him up, he's a randy devil, I've had to separate him for a bit to give the old girl nearly in season a break!

Oh, by the way, I managed to give Jacob his soft food separately and give him his pills. It wasn't easy though. :eek:

Sounds like you are having a busy time of it there Pauline!! Also sounds like you are coping well too!! Eastenders is usually repeated on BBC3 by the way!! ;) ;)

The dogs are all together in the kennel and some bullying must go on. This is what worries me. I'm not sure I'd want Dylan to board if he wasn't kept in the house.
The boarding kennels we've looked at all have separate runs/kennels for each dog. But two dogs from the same family are allowed to be together in a single run. I wouldn't want my dogs in the situation you're describing, either.

I like your diary idea! :) Do you find you're busy every minute, or do you have time for relaxation?

The boarding kennels we've looked at all have separate runs/kennels for each dog. But two dogs from the same family are allowed to be together in a single run. I wouldn't want my dogs in the situation you're describing, either.

I like your diary idea! :) Do you find you're busy every minute, or do you have time for relaxation?

I'd prefer separate runs too.

I have lots of time really as I only need to see to the dogs in the kennels twice a day, they are in the run all day. I scrub the bowls out at night and sweep up all the saw dust in the run and give them fresh water. In the morning I put down saw dust and give them their food and water. I make it sound easy but it takes me about 2 hours to clean up properly. The dogs in the house are fine, just need to be let out for potty trips, they are free fed too. The mums have paper down for wees but I still let them outside and the puppies beds are changed each morning and the mums get through a lot of food. All the dogs are free fed. They are all a good size but I don't see them eating much so I'm taking Dylan into the kitchen for separate meals. Funny as he is the skinniest.

The boiler broke today so I'm waiting for the plumber now, Jenny's daughter kindly rushed round and took me to her house for a shower and lunch and Sainsburys for food. She's lovely :D

Last edited:
I forgot to say, I went out the front of the house to find the wheely bin as it needs putting out tonight. I locked myself out :yikes

Two doors down there was a man working in his garden. I asked him to help and the poor fella had to get a ladder and climb the wall :eek: My heart was thumping for ages. Those keys are not leaving my pocket!!

Sounds like you are keeping very busy Pauline! I would love being with all those dogs...but I couldn't imagine doing all that on a daily basis!

Good luck with the rest of your stay! :flwr:

I couldn't imagine doing all that on a daily basis!

I didn't realize how much work was involved. I'm not enjoying it now. I won't go into details, but lets just say, you can't look after 22 dogs the way you can 1 :(

I am having a lovely day with Abby the groomer, I've been grooming a couple of dogs and getting a chance finally to cuddle them.

It's not what you all prob imagine. I'm not sitting in the lounge with loads of dogs cuddling me. I've hardly had time to cuddle my own boy.

I think you are a SAINT to do that job. I can barely keep up with my 3 !!!

Yes and I'm not getting paid for this. There was meant to be a girl to clean the kennels but she is only coming in tomorrow.

I have my heart set on a little girl called Mimi, she's just like Dylan but darker. She's quite nervous when you try to stroke her she crouches to the floor, but she is a cuddler. I've fallen for her and she's going to stay up in the house until I go or longer if I can get the next dog sitter to agree. Mustn't get my hopes up as she is only 3 and never been a mum so I doubt Jenny will let me have her but I'm going to start nagging! ;)

I can't wait to show you pictures of her.

Oh my gosh, Jenny OWES you big time. Mimi is meant to be yours, keep up the nagging and don't forget to mention all the things you have had to do that you weren't counting on. You can always exaggerate a little. Good Luck !!!!!

Back