• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Different sizes of Cavaliers.

Pippin is 26 pounds and 3.5 years old. He was bigger than his dad when Pip turned 1 year old.
Merry is 16.8 pounds at 2 years 9 months old.
Pippin & Merry have the same father and their mother's were sisters. Both the father and mothers came from England.

Luke is 18.9 pounds and 4.5 years old.
Jolly is 15 pounds & 9 months old on March 15th. Jolly is Luke's son.
The breeder that I got them from is from Pennsylvannia and she breeds with her Mom in Texas, so they do share their dogs.

They are all fit and trim, so the differences have to do with how big they grew.

Charleen
I didn't notice your 4th Cavalier hidden on the left of your photo. How great it must be to have 4 Cavs. How many litters has Luke been the stud for?

Elaine,
I don't recall, but I don't think that many. I obtained Luke from the breeder last year and he was retired before he was 4 years old because he had low sperm count. He also couldn't do the job himself and the vet had to do it for him. :lol: He likes going to the vet's office.

He wasn't producing a lot of puppies, so the breeder was looking for the right home for him. That is where I came in. Once the breeder knew I could give him a good home with other cavaliers, she had him fixed and I picked him up. The funny thing is, when I got him she wasn't sure if he had successfully inpregnated Peppermint Patty or not.

The good news is that he had. She had 6 puppies! And Jolly was from his last litter. Luke's last hurrah!

Friday's Mommy said:
Ours are very different in size too. Friday is 19.5 lbs., but she's on a diet and Wednesday is 13.2 lbs. which is perfect, she's much more petite in size. We always thought Friday was such a "little" dog until we got Wednesday, now Friday seems huge.

Cool names, my daughter is asking when is monday arriving? such funky names i love it.

Harry is big he's about 22Lb and almost 2 so i'm hoping he's fully grown now

My "niece" Lily weighed in at 10lbs 8oz yesterday at the vet. Lily is 5 months & 1 week old. The breeder said that Lily's sister weighs 10lbs.

My sister and I are wondering at what age do Cavaliers stop growing? To us Lily is tiny, but then again I have basset hounds. Any dog under 65lbs looks small to me. :D :D :D :D

We just picked up our new Cav this morning and she is 9 lbs at 8 1/2 months...She is quite petite. I don't know how much more she is going to grow but I'm hoping that it isn't that much cause she hates being anywhere else but in your arms!! What an absolute darling! I will post fresh photos when I download them.

Tammy said:
I have a smaller cavalier a little over 13lbs. I am finding most of the cavaliers in my area are MUCH bigger.

Hi Tammy

Your little girl is within the American Kennel Club's breed standard in terms of her weight. Don't get too hooked up on the weight of other people's dogs as there are a lot of obese CKCS around.

From the American Kennel Club http://www.akc.org/breeds/cavalier_king_charles_spaniel/index.cfm

Size, Proportion, Substance

Size - Height 12 to 13 inches at the withers; weight proportionate to height, between 13 and 18 pounds. A small, well balanced dog within these weights is desirable, but these are ideal heights and weights and slight variations are permissible. Proportion - The body approaches squareness, yet if measured from point of shoulder to point of buttock, is slightly longer than the height at the withers. The height from the withers to the elbow is approximately equal to the height from the elbow to the ground. Substance - Bone moderate in proportion to size. Weedy and coarse specimens are to be equally penalized.

Karlin has also posted up the UK CKCS Club breed standard at http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1529

which states

WEIGHT & SIZE: Weight - twelve to eighteen pounds. A small well-balanced dog well within these weights desirable.

Great thread. People often think that my female is the puppy of my male because she appears much smaller.
Bl female 2 1/2 yrs old 13.5 lbs
B & W male 2 yrs 18 lbs

We just got Briar - he is 16 weeks and weighs 7.2 pounds. I am hoping that he stays in the 15 pound range! He loves to be cuddled, and is only active after his potty breaks.

I will HAVE to get a pic posted soon! He is Blenheim and white and the most adorable, laid back puppy I have ever had!! This is out first Cavalier.

i have a small girl too.. almost 1 year now.. and only 10 lb :) but i'm so glad that she's tiny, makes it so easy for us to travel.. and suits the size of the apartment too.. everybody thinks that she's a puppy ! :lol:

Ruby had her last set of puppy shots today, and she is up exactly 2 lbs. from her visit 3 weeks ago. She'll be 14 wks on Thursday, and she is now 6 lb. 9 oz. From the looks of it, she'll still be pretty petite despite such rapid weight gain. She's SOOO much longer and leggier than she was a few weeks ago, so she's not a fatty.

Gracie is 21 weeks now and weighs 7.5 lbs. She hasn't gained any weight in the past 2-3 weeks, but is very leggy and LONG! I assume she'll be growing into those legs at some point, but I'd be surprised if she was ever over the 12-13 pound range. Who knows, though...she likes to keep us in suspense! :lol:

Back