• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ellie is to be spayed next week..

ann

Ellie is 9 months old and is going to be spayed next wednesday :(
It is a long time since I owned a bitch, so waht can I expect in the days following her op? and is there anyway I can help her??

trying to keep them calm when they start feeling better is difficult sometimes. I prefer a onsie to the e-collar. I didn't have to do any restraints with the last three spays and the neuter. They are sleepy for a day or so. The incision is amazingly small usually. Keep it dry- no baths. Watch the incision to make sure it doesn't get infected (not overly swollen, red, etc..).

And remember that this is probably more upsetting to you than it is for her.

Chloe was 9 months when she was spayed. I was so worried but there was absolutely no reason to be! she will be really sleepy when she first comes home and need lots of gentle cuddles. The next day I could not believe it! she was running about back to her normal self. Any discomfort on the day is usually more to do with the anasthetic wearing off. Hardest part is keeping them quiet and still as they really recover so quickly.
Let us know how she gets on and dont worry (easier said than done I know)

Fiona just got spayed at about 9 months also, since she went into heat right before she was at about 6 months. Let me just say...I was freaking out and worrying so much about her, and then she got home and acted as if nothing happened. She was bounching off the wall from teh second she got home, and we didnt even need the elizabethan collar because she didnt even realize she had stiches!! It baffled me. My advice would be wait and see how your pup reacts. I know dogs act different every time. I had bought a baby onesie and didnt even need it, since she didnt care she had stiches, lol.

Hi!

My parents had their girl, Tasha, spayed 3 weeks ago and she was back in fine fettle within 18 hours, jumping on and off things and generally acting her usual self. Ellie will amaze you! As Sandy has said, and others too, it is keeping them quiet the first couple of days after that is the problem! Am attaching a pic of my parents girls "warwound", luckily our vet (we use the same practice) is a excellent surgeon as you can see!! I promise you it will hurt you more than it does Ellie!!

pupsandsteamlocos003.jpg

She will amaze you. Scout did spend one night at the vets, although I missed her terribly I had one night of peace and quiet. The next day when I picked her up I had to check for an incision to make sure the surgery was done. She was happy and bouncy. Her incision looked just like the one on Cathryn's photo. Plus like everyone else said the hardest part is keeping them calm and still as much as possible for 10 days!!!

Ditto to what everyone else has said. When Minnie was spayed earlier this year, I was expecting to get a groggy pooch back but when I went in to collect her, she walked out the door to greet me and the Vet said she had already been out for a pee . I was amazed. She didn't need a onesie either and I just had to carry her up and down the stairs and lift her on and off the sofa. I'm sure Ellie will be fine.

Back