• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HELP! Pet insurance premiums shot up! Need advice please.

well i got my renewal cost though and I'm not happy!

the price is ok...£203pa but and there is always a but!

When i took out the policy it was 'no excess' but now it's £70 per treatment! why do they do this!? for me who's at the vets every few weeks for tablets it's going to cost me a fortune now....and no pint me claiming anymore

arrrggghhhhh!! :mad::mad:

Yeah, you know most of them are £70 excess now, it's stupid. To be fair, the no excess M&S offered must have been a big mistake for them. AXA is £50 excess.

HI
Just my view after a lot of research last year i decided you only get what you pay for,or theres no such thing as a free lunch,and knowing a bit about insurance companies who we think may be dog lovers but really are only out to maks profit .My decision for best overall cover and high cover plus lifetime illness cover was between two but both had £80 excess and bearing in mind my cavs are 6,12 and 18 months and i pay one annual premium for the three together, i paid £745.00.The two companys were Petplan and Petpals at the time i heard of one bad experiance with Petplan so chose Petpals naturally i have claimed nothing yet but i know its there for when i need it,the other thing why if all the other companys m&s say are so much cheaper theres gotta be a reason as they are only there to make money so the only reason they can be cheaper is inferior cover.

the other thing why if all the other companies m&s say are so much cheaper theres gotta be a reason as they are only there to make money so the only reason they can be cheaper is inferior cover.

M&S are underwritten by AXA so AXA gets a profit and M&S get their cut. Then they stopped the no excess thing. Now if you had an ongoing medical problem with your pet, you have to stay with them (a new insurance company wouldn't pay out for preexisting conditions) then they push up the premiums and the excess to £70. That's how they made their money back! AXA cover the condition for life up to £7000 a year. That's all I wanted.

....the cheaper policies normally only cover the condition for 12 months....:( check the wording, how they like to catch us out!

It's up to each of us to read the small print, ring the companies and see just what really is covered.

I know from personal use that Pinnicle and AXA underwrite their own policies saving like Pauline said the cut of the third person involved, giving great cover at a good cost. They also cover other companies and the premiums are then higher.

Who underwries Petpals Brian? find the company that does and deal with them direct if you possibly can, hopefully this will save you some pennies with three it cover!

Alison.

so is it worth me taking out another year's policy?? i'm not going to beinift from it as it's not going to cost more than £70 for the medication she requires on each visit, so i'm going to have to pay vet fees from now on anyway...

would i be better just saving the money? or am i stumped as due to a 'pre exsisting' condtition if i cancel, i'll never be able to get pet insurnace again???

Personally, I have got it just in case there is a big emergency. It won't help with small claims at all.

Maybe it's just as well to do an online quote with AXA and see the difference in the premium. Their excess is £50. Remember existing conditions will not be covered. But, s you say, you can't claim as your meds are always less than £70 anyway, maybe you are as well to try AXA.

Please wait for some more replies though as this is just my humble opinion! I make mistakes!

Hmmm some good news!

Just done a quote for pet insurance with RSPCA as i use a cashback site called QUIDCO and the quote for GOLD standard insurance for the year without Holly's exsisting condition is £142 this gives upto 6k of vet treatment (M&S is 7k)

with that i also get £15 cashback!! :)

Just wanted to share incase anyone else wants a quote

www.quidco.com (then goto RSPCA insurance)

x

Be careful to check they give 6k each year for an ongoing condition. Most only pay one year.

I'm thinking of getting insurance just incase of something new! :rolleyes:

I'll have to pay out now for her ongoing medications for her gum disease for her current condition.

I wouldn't be able to claim with them for her 'current' condition anyway so the new policy would be peace of mind for me!

Does that make sense/seem ok?
x

I mean, if in the future your dog gets a heart murmur or anything that continues, you might only get paid insurance for the 1st year. What you should be looking for is lifetime cover for the condition. So each year for the rest of your dogs life, you will get up to 6k.

I mean, if in the future your dog gets a heart murmur or anything that continues, you might only get paid insurance for the 1st year. What you should be looking for is lifetime cover for the condition. So each year for the rest of your dogs life, you will get up to 6k.

I see....so i should therefore stick with M&S (as they offer this) and i am already with them or swap now to a company offering lifetime cover....

I did an AXA quote and it was alot more than the £203 from M&S

I see....so i should therefore stick with M&S (as they offer this) and i am already with them or swap now to a company offering lifetime cover....

I did an AXA quote and it was alot more than the £203 from M&S

I'm really shocked AXA cost more. You sure you filled it out right? (don't mean to sound rude there, but every question on the quote changes the price) Mine was loads less.

I'd say, if you change, make sure they give life of condition cover, M&S do and AXA do, there may be others. £203 isn't bad for M&S. My quote was £359!!!

I'm really shocked AXA cost more. You sure you filled it out right? (don't mean to sound rude there, but every question on the quote changes the price) Mine was loads less.

I'd say, if you change, make sure they give life of condition cover, M&S do and AXA do, there may be others. £203 isn't bad for M&S. My quote was £359!!!

i must have done it wrong as AXA comes back at £134!! :rah: :p

Are AXA definatley for life as it says "All reasonable and customary costs for treatment of your pet by a vet up to £7,000 per policy year"

Yes they do but I'll just check and quote for you. I'm very pleased I asked you to check again :D Wait there, I'll just look at AXA for you.

I guess you've read this bit,

"All reasonable and customary costs for treatment of your pet by a vet up to £7,000 per policy year."

My pc won't let me download the policy booklet but they give "lifelong CONDITION cover".

Back