• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help! Seasonal potty habits?

pinkpuppy

It's been a harsh winter in North East states this year. If I had a second chance I would not adopt a puppy here again. Potty training was a pain with 6 foot snow is now even more frustrating! He will not go potty since the weather has changed and had numerous accidents already. He'll take his treats, but will not wee or poo outdoors. I tried taking him out every 30 minutes just like when he was a pup with no luck. As soon as he gets in the house he will do it right on the leather couch or the wood floors. I am about ready to pull my hair out. I can't keep going back to square one every time the weather changes. :bang: What should I do? TIA :(

hbmama! It's been 2 whole years and I miss California like a bad ice cream addiction! But what to do in the meantime?:(

Basically, you have a dog that isn't housetrained, which means you need to start again from scratch. This means strict supervision, use of crate etc. If you have Shirlee Kalstone's book she discusses this issue. One consolation is they do tend to get the hang much faster on a repeat try.

He will not go potty since the weather has changed and had numerous accidents already. He'll take his treats, but will not wee or poo outdoors

Why are you giving him treats if he is not peeing and pooping outside?

Being in New Jersey, I know how difficult it is to housetrain a puppy with these weather changes. Truth is, with consistency and firm training, you should be able to get your puppy to potty outside no matter what the weather is. I hope you're using a crate, if not you should definately get one soon. Basically take him out everytime the puppy wakes up, weather you think he has to go or not, before you do ANYTHING else with the puppy. I know your probably already doing this, and he's going outside staring at the stars and poops and pees the second you get back in. If your out for a long time and he's not going potty, put him back in the crate. Make sure you give him his favorite toy though, you don't want him to think he's being punished. He's gonna yelp, cry, bark. Wait for him to calm down a bit - then take him straight outside again. Keep doing this. If your puppy is very young, he may soil in the crate. That rarely happens, as they don't like to soil where they sleep. I only gave my puppies treats immediately after they've pottied outside. And of course I'd praise them each and every time they did it properly.

Thank you for the suggestions, tank! He is being crate trained. Now that I'm rethinking these last 3 weeks. I am incline to believe he is training me to give him treats! So, the bad human pet has to go back to square one! He was doing fine during all the snow storms, in fact was having a grand time hopping like a mad bunny in the snow.

Already good advice given & I am echoing what Tank has alluded to... no pee outside - no treat!

When mine were little if they didn't pee outside when I took them they would be put in the crate until next session outside for a pee, and this just kept getting repeated until eventually there was a pee outside. They can't hang on forever! :D Then & only then would a treat be given & some time to play free inside the house.

It must be hard when there is snow about. I've got to be a bit more insistent when it is just raining here.

Back