• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

In closing......

Bruce H

I can hardly believe it's been 5 months since I started this! The time has just flown by. Anna and Star's puppies are going to their new homes and it's getting harder to find things to write about. I think most of you who have a Cavalier have been through this stage of raising puppies. Therefore, I'm going to end the posting to the journal. I'll still post as I hear things from the puppies new families, but it will be in other forums.

This has been one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. Breeding is a real passion for me and sharing the experience has been a lot of fun. Putting everything down in writing has really helped me to remember what it is that keeps me doing this. With every litter in the past I always said that I needed to keep some kind of record of what happened and when, and now I have it. So this is very valuable for Kris and I, too.

You know, before I started this journal, I really worried about this encouraging people to start breeding without having any idea what they were getting into; in fact, I came very close to not doing this for just that reason. So my hope is that this gave everyone some insight into the breeding process and that it's a lot more than throwing a couple dogs together and hoping for the best. These two litters really were, I think, the easiest litters we have ever had. And thank God they were! It could have very easily been a nightmare, especially with both litters born at exactly the same time. I can't help but think about the puppy a couple years ago that was so tiny that Kris literally slept with it and worked with it every couple hours, 24 hours a day; all we would have had to do was get a couple of those and we would have had a real problem. Nice to have a little good luck once in a while. The only bad thing we did have was when one of Star's puppies was born dead, something I really don't like to think about; but it happens.

So if anyone is thinking about getting into breeding I would say, first and foremost, find a breeder IN YOUR AREA that is willing to mentor you and help you. Secondly, be sure you have a dog that should be bred; that's where a mentor can help you out. I also very strongly believe that if a person wants to breed that they should also be showing in the conformation ring. That's really the only way a person can truly know if the dog they have is a good dog that should be bred. It's also probably the only way of getting a reputable breeder to mentor you. Kris and I were showing for close to 2 years before we found someone who was willing to help us out. And of course health testing should go without saying.

I also can't stop without saying something about puppy mills. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it's everyone's job to do what they can to stop the puppy mills. Every chance you get, talk to people about the puppy mills and the deplorable conditions the dogs are kept in (and how to find a reputable breeder). If a person is motivated by cost, find a way to explain that the cheapest dog is not the cheapest dog. Enough about the mills; I get too wound up when I start talking about them!!

Almost forgot. While you're thinking about it, send a short note and a picture or two of your dog to your breeder. If they are anything like Kris and I, they will really appreciate it.

Finally, thank you all so much for the kind words and encouragement. It's meant so much to Kris and I. And thanks especially to you, Karlin, for allowing me to do this journal and share my passion for breeding with others in your forum. I'm sure this had to be a little scary for you to allow me (who you didn't really know) to start a thread about the experience of breeding. I hope I lived up to your expectations. My only regret, if you want to call it that, is that I didn't get very many photos of the actual welping; with the two litters coming at the same time, I was just a little bit busy!

WOW, I just looked at the number of views to the forum, over 3700!! I'm just overwhelmed!

I want to thank you Bruce and Kris for allowing us to share this experience with you. I have truly enjoyed your narratives and especially enjoyed hearing about the puppies growing and maturing. I could never breed because I could never send my puppies to a new home! We accidently bought a pregnant hamster (she was supposed to be a boy...what a surprise a week later when we found 4 babies in her cage!) One baby did not survive but we kept the other three....enough said!

You are the type of breeder I would choose for my next cavalier. I really think you should consider moving to the west coast...high real estate prices are the most scary part of living here in San Diego. icon_yikes But the weather makes up for that!

Your puppies are beautiful and there are some really lucky new owners. Thank you again. I know that this thread was time consuming for you at a very busy time. With all the adult dogs you have, I am sure you will never have an "empty nest" but I am sure you will miss each and every one of your babies. I'll have to send an email photo to my breeder with an update on my two...just cuz.
J.

Thank you Bruce and Kris for this forum, I've learned so much. Thanks for what you do for this breed, you've really restored my hopes that there are good breeders out there who are in it for the right reasons.
Thank you :)

Thank you so much for your journal. I have checked every day in hopes of a new post.
I wouldn't worry about it encouraging people to breed. I think it showed alot of people how draining it is, and how much you really need to know. My breeder has only been doing it for a couple years and this litter she just had last week was her most frightening, requiring the mama to have a ceserian. I think you need to be a special person to handle those situations, and breed for the pure enjoyment of giving people like us happy, healthy puppies that will last us a long time.
Once again for allowing us into your lives for the past 5 months. It have been so incredibly fun!!!

I, too, am sending my thanks for all of your time and effort that you have put into this thread. I have enjoyed reading it all immensely and watching the babies grow. I will truly miss it. Best of luck with your next venture.
You'll have to post the pictures from their new homes!
:) Julie and the girls

Thanks Bruce for all the time you took to do this. I have really enjoyed reading about the whole process. I think I'm going to miss reading your posts as much as you are going to miss the puppies.
thanks again
Melanie

This whole forum has been nothing short of amazing!! What an experience for all of us. Anyone casually thinking of breeding...maybe they'll think again. It's not as easy as it sound is it? Bruce, you and Kris do such amazing things for this breed...my hat's off to you and muchos gracias!!

And...like Jay says...our housing pricing bite it but our weather is great...you know....if you ever decide to relocate! Of course, Jay and I can always make the road trip out your way when we're ready for our next!!

Bruce,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, I am sad it is ending. You and Kris are amazing, thank you for being such wonderful breeders for this wonderful breed!

Bruce/Kris
Bruce you are a real character, you brought tears to my eyes many many a time reading your threads. Tears of laughter and joy.
I will so miss reading all about how your puppies are doing and the
chaos that you know you so much enjoyed.
It took so much time and patience on your part to share your experience
with so many, I would take my hat of to you but I don't wear one ;) ;)

Keep on smiling both of you, it is not to often in todays society that you
see such happy smiling faces such as yours and Kris's.

I look forward to your next litter, who knows I may even get my Ruby from you, still have not heard whether that girl is with puppies yet.

And a great big thank you from me, the information, pictures and stories were brilliant... you care so much for the dogs and it shows. Good luck to all of them in their new homes.

Bruce it was an adventure for both you and me! It turned out to be a marvellous adventure and something to look forward to each day, checking to see if you had any new posts or pictures.

I think we have all learned so much and I sure have a much greater understanding of what a breeder takes on with a litter (all that poop, for one!! :lol: ).

It seems like we were just yesterday all waiting for the positive pregnancy test and now the pups are off to their homes -- what a whirlwind it has been for us, much less for you and Kris!

Thanks for giving so generously of your time and insight over the past months to let us share the experience of these two litters. Your pics and descriptions have brought a lot of smiles to so many.

I also wanted to thank you Bruce for the wonderful journal and the time you took doing it . I think it gave everyone insight on breeding and the ups ( and although you didnt have too many downs this time ) I also agree 100000% about puppy mills ...and that it is every dog lovers duty to try and educate as many people as you can to avoid pet shops and back yard breeders and to find a responsible breeder ......like you are Kris ! Congratulations on a job well done !

Back