• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My naked puppy

It really does depend on the individual dog. I had Holly and Amber done at the start of summer within a couple of weeks of each other, and both were clipped pretty short. Several months later, all of Holly's feathers are well and truly back, and even my mum commented last weekend that she had a very full coat. By contrast, Amber's feathers are still at the barely-there stage and the most you can say for her is that she looks fluffy.

Many years back during a ferry crossing back from Ireland to Scotland (Had been to Belfast Champ Show) a well known breeder travelling with us was actually moaning about one of his Champion Bitches!! Why??

"I chop 2 inches off her ears every six weeks!" he moaned to me,
"They just keep growing back!"

Boy I REALLY wish I had that problem!! :lol:

I guess I'm taking it so well cause he's still my gorgeous boy no matter what:luv:
Although I am hoping it will grow fast, his feathers normally grow really fast so hopefully the rest will follow suit:xfngr:

I have to admit it's great coming in from muddy walk, and only having to brush it off. But I do miss his silky coat, he looks so skinny cut like this, just not how I'd like my wee boy to look. He normally never has a jacker on except in really, really bad weather, but it's now on for every walk:(.

I've put the 1st photo of the thread as my desktop background to remind me what my boy should look like.

I don't think I'll go back to the same groomers:mad:, don't think I'd trust her even if I was more specific about everything

:eek: I dont blame you for being upset with that groomer :mad:
I took Ellie for her first trim today ( see under general) I was very fussy about what I wanted, I even whote down what I wanted her NOT to do.
After all we are paying for a service so we have every right to tell them...... :xfngr: that your wee doggy's hair grows back quickly

I have a friend who owns a doggie-self-wash business. You have your choice of washing your own pup for a nominal fee, or making an appointment with their groomer. I just take her in every 3 or 4 weeks, brush her down and use the wonderful facilities to bathe and blow dry her. As needed, my friend will just trim the fur on her foot pads and clip nails while I hold her.

Dottie loves going to the "beauty parlor" and getting all the attention, yet, I get to bathe her and keep her under my watchful eye the whole time. Beats having a bathtub full of fur and wet walls and floors at home!! (y)

I would have been mad too but I think I would have refused to pay after all you did point out what you wanted. He does still look cute but I prefer the before look! Hope he grows his coat back really soon.

Ps. It happened to me years ago with a long haired parsons jack russell I had I was fuming but still paid as she said she would trim him amd I said that was fine..Thing was her Idea of trimming was to shave!
I soon got used to the look though and he was easier for me to groom daily.

Many years back during a ferry crossing back from Ireland to Scotland (Had been to Belfast Champ Show) a well known breeder travelling with us was actually moaning about one of his Champion Bitches!! Why??

"I chop 2 inches off her ears every six weeks!" he moaned to me,
"They just keep growing back!"

Boy I REALLY wish I had that problem!! :lol:

Yeah, sounds exactly like Holly. I don't like the shaved look, but I do find a short clip MUCH easier to manage. especially with Amber who really does seem to permanently moult.

If the feathers grow back quickly, you may well find the rest will do likewise.

I thought it was unacceptable to cut any hair on a show Cavalier at all (other than the bottoms of their feet). Why would that show breeder cut her ears off all the time? Wouldn't that be admitting to breaking the rules? And woudn't ultra-long ears be a plus in the show ring? Seems weird.

I love Daisy's long hair and would never, ever have any length cut off anywhere. I literally had trouble sleeping the night before the one time I took her for a bath and spot-trim (bottom of feet and a clean up of the sanitary area), for fear they would cut her hair or feathers at all. I was so serious and so specific with the groomer that she definitely got the point and only trimmed those areas and nowhere else.

The only reason I brought her to be groomed in the first place was to see if a pro would get her shinier, softer or fluffier than I did after a bath. She really looked just like she does when I do her, so I won't bring her to a groomer again unless I'm in a big time crunch before taking her on a trip or something. Plus it was $48!!!! Yikes.

Not being required to have a dog professionally groomed was one benefit I thought about with having a Cavalier in the first place. I grew up with toy poodles who were groomed every 6 weeks, and I always felt bad bringing them in and trusting the groomer to be kind. You could tell they hated being brought in to the groomer's, so that really bothered me. Plus, every once in a while, the job would be botched and they would look absolutely terrible for 2 months. FeFe, our last poodle, had a trim job like that a couple of weeks before she died, and it always bothered me that her last days on this earth were spent looking like that. It was bad enough losing a beautiful dog who was my best friend for the past 13 years, but to see her looking like that was like adding insult to injury. She was extremely beautiful, with the best poodle coat you have ever seen. She could have been a show dog, at least coat-wise ( I don't know too much about the poodle conformation standard). Those idiots that groomed her last shaved her straight down her legs and didn't leave any sort of length around her ankles. It was pitiful. I know that when I see her again, she will have her beautiful coat again, but still, it hurt me. Sorry, I think I have to go and get a Kleenex -- sorry to get off topic.

The first time I ever took Sasha to a groomer, I asked that only the fur between the pawpads be trimmed. I specifically said please don't trim anything else. Wouldn't you know it, she came back with everything trimmed, including the slippers trimmed right off.

I was livid.... how dare they not listen to my requests, and how could they, as a supposedly reputable breeder, not know the breed standard?

I would have had my say, except my husband had picked her up. I never bothered to call them, and I now use a groomer who comes here in a van. He's really great. And good news, all Sasha's fur grew in very nicely.

Murphy is beautiful either way!! You are wise to look at the bright side....& your positive attitude is commendable & enviable! :)

Back