• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need some advice....new here

I stayed up til 1:30 last night reading all the horror stories on what could could happen to him and anyone else who owns one, not just from a pet store.

You need to not do that or you'll drive yourself crazy. Believe me...I know. When Jake had cancer I read everything I could and just made myself sick. He ended up being okay but that whole week wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I hadn't overread stuff on the internet.

The breed has several serious health issues....but they can be dealt with. The important thing at this point is to be in tune with your dog. You'll learn when he's not feeling well or when something is off. Feed the best food you, exercise your dog to keep him from being overweight, attend a local health clinic annually to be sure your dog's heart is okay. If there is a Cavalier club close to you you might consider joining the club. What I knew about Cavaliers barely filled a thimble when I got Jake almost 6 years ago. I've learned so much since them from being a member of a local club and reading message boards.

As far as insurance....I have pet plan for both of mine. It's not cheap but it's good coverage.

I haven't had any big health problems with Mia so far. But that doesn't mean I won't at some time in the future--there aren't any guarantees, even though she came from good lines.

I would go with PetPlan if I was you, but you might want to do some comparison shopping just in case. Just be sure to get coverage that includes genetic/heriditary disorders. :)

I have many cavaliers and I have decided that I have to be optimistic and realistic. My cavaliers are 6 months to 8 years old and except for minor stuff, they have been relatively healthy. I can't worry about what might happen-- I got most of those worries out of the way when I had kids.

A note regarding insurance-- once the dog has a record of a problem, it is generally not covered anymore. Even something as pneumonia might mean no further coverage for ANY pneumonia in the future.

A note regarding insurance-- once the dog has a record of a problem, it is generally not covered anymore. Even something as pneumonia might mean no further coverage for ANY pneumonia in the future.

That's a good point and along the same lines...I wouldn't mention any concerns over genetic predispositions for any specific diseases to your vet until my insurance kicked in. I've heard of insurance companies denying coverage for the mere mention of certain illnesses/diseases being in the vet's records, even if there was no treatment or symptoms at the time. This is probably rare and it most likely wouldn't stand up to a review by the insurance board, but it could make for alot of headaches in the meantime. Just a suggestion...

Thanks for all your advice. I truly love this site. I have learned a lot from reading all of your posts. I do need to focus on the "now" and not the "what if". It will drive me nuts and I think I've already drove my family nuts with talking about it. LOL I just need to be realistic here and realize that every dog has their own health problems and just to learn about the ones that "could" happen with this breed and keep up on it. I am sooo happy to have Harley, he is definately a prize!! :luv: Anyways, I will continue to read and look into the insurance further and hope for the best. Thanks again!! TTYL By the way, I am trying to add his pic but for some reason it won't do it.......????

Ironically, the very first cavalier I ever really saw was at a petland in Crystal Lake, IL. I ran in for rabbit food and look across the way to the pups and he put his paw on the glass and stared at me. His eyes followed me the entire time we were in the store. The hardest thing I did was leave him there.
I went home and did 3 hours of research. I decided I wanted a cavalier that night.

Sandy--that's enough to wrench anyone's heart out. That's why I stay out of those places at all cost. I have a hard time walking by the cat cages at Petsmart and I'm not a cat person!

Yep--- I dont ever go into stores that sell pets, either. I couldn't bear it. And, Im afraid if I were to hold a pup I would bring something contagious home to my dogs. :(

Good luck with your puppy--- it seems so many of us have had to learn about finding a reputable breeder te hard way. But, I suppose the silver lining is that then we become advocates for the breed and help people learn how to find a good breeder who does things the right way.

One positive note on Petsmart (a U.S. based chain) is that they never have dogs for sale. The cats are rescued adults that would never find a home otherwise and they only charge an adoption fee based on their housing. Except for the really expensive exotic feline breeds, most cats are rescues around here, the result of strays having those unwanted litters of kittens.

More on Petland

I have made it a practice to never shop at Petland because of their policy of selling from "pet producers." About six weeks ago I was looking for a stuffie in the shape of a fish to include in a Silient Auction basket (Theme: Fishing with Your Dog) to raise money fro public education efforts by the Clumber Spaniel Club of America. We have three or four different stuffed fish at home, all well loved and used by Buddy and Hadley. I could not find new ones anywhere so I decided to run into Petland and see if they had any, telling myself it would be okay this one time, since it was to raise money for a good cause. Of course, the puppy cages start right by the front door. As soon as I walked in, there staring at me were two sweet tri-color Cavaliers, probably about 12 weeks old. After looking to see that that they seemed to okay, not obviously ill or stressed, I turned around and left without looking for my "fish" stuffies (and then dreamed about the puppies that night and have continued to worry if they were still there).

I use the term "pet producers" as opposed to puppy millers because I think it describes all of those, whether they are big commercial establishments, backyard breeders, small "family" farms who breed puppies for the purpose of selling them and turning a profit (or sometimes as "pets" for their friends in the case of backyard breeders) and do so without sufficient knowledge of genetic health conditions, structure and temperament. They breed to "market" puppies while responsible, ethical breeders breed only after careful study of pedigrees for all these factors and with the goal of improving the breed. Fortunately, some of us are lucky enough to have the benefit of their efforts by being entrusted with one or more of their well-breed puppies.

Many of us on this Board have at some point purchased or adopted a dog without adequately investigating the breed or the breeder. It took me until my third pure bred dog before I did what I would qualify as good due diligence and a good job of screening for a quality breeder. However, once you get it, once you understand the very real differences between pet producers and ethical, responsible breeders, educating others about those differences can become a passion. For some there may be an element of snobbery, but for most of us it is a matter of caring for and wanting to be a guardian of the breed we love. So if we seem strident at times, hang in there and be patient. My guess is you will be there too the more you read and learn.

I could go on about this forever but work beckons. Take good care of your puppy. Educate yourself about the health issues you and Harley may face but do not focus on them so intently that you can not enjoy him. When others comment to you that they want one just like Harley, send them to the breeder referral lists for the American Cavalier King Spaniel Charles Club or the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club with the caveat that they still need to screen for those who are really up on genetic health issues, following the acceptable breeding protocols and doing adequate studies of structure and temperament. When purchasing a pure bred dog, patience is definitely a virtue. If they are lucky they will have the puppy in their lives for 12 to 14 years. The wait will be the right thing to do.

If you want a list of health issues to take to your Vet, you can go to the websites for the parent clubs and copy the health information and take it to him or her. The lists are not detailed but they are a good place to start. Just tell your Vet you are bringing the lists because you know how hard it is for him/her to keep up with health issues for over 165 + breeds of dogs and you hope he/she is not insulted. (If he or she is insulted, IMHO you need to go somewhere else.) The parent club websites are http://www.ckcsc.org/ and http://www.ackcsc.org/ (this site is being updated and the health information may not be there yet). There is also good information on this Board in the library and elsewhere.

Off my soap box,

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info and I will definately not recommend anyone buy a pet from Petland, no worries there. Thanks again fro replying......

Back