• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need to Vent... Puppy Search continues

Hello Merlins Mum~

Dear merlinsmum : no you do not dampen things for me. I am very aware of what i am getting myself into. I have been waiting for 2 years before I finally decided on a cavalier puppy.

As I said, "Like a kid, we want our baby to be free of genetic defects. To be able to share a long and happy life with us." As a "dog" parent, I can only hope for the best and prepare for the worst and get a insurance plan. I am sure that is how all of us want to feel. And, you are correct I do feel better now about puppy has a better chance of not developing MVD, LP and SM.

I'm sorry to dampen things cosmic. You could pay a million dollars for a puppy but you could not guarantee it to be free from genetic defects. All our cavalier essentially come from the same gene pool, defects skip generations as they do in humans and unfortunately cavaliers are predisposed to these things.

However, good luck in your search to find a puppy whose parents have had heart, eye and MRI checks and are clear - this at least will give you some comfort to know your puppy has a better chance of not developing MVD, LP and SM.:)

Merlinsmum-- excellent post

There are no pups (or humans) without genetic predispositions to health issues. But your best chance at a pup with a good health background is getting one from a sire and dam that have good health backgrounds.

I'm laughing at those of you who have bargained with partners for dogs and yes, I think they get the better deal because they get the dogs, too. :lol:

I have two dogs from a reputable Irish breeder (now passed on), a rescue girl I got from the pound and was the only one of 50+ rescues I've placed that I kept :lol: and a retired breeding girl from a good breeder that I am caretaker of for my parents at the moment.

Probably the next dog I get will be a foster placement from a breeder to help breeders with health focused breeding programmes keep promising dogs within their programmes long enough to see how they develop -- if I can be of help in this way! :)

Also, a flip side of this discussion is that I think taking on rescues, older dogs, or dogs with known issues (behavioural or health) can be amongst the most rewarding of dogs to own. It isn't for everyone, but I think after people have had a cavalier for a while and gain confidence with the breed they may well find they are comfortable working with these dogs that often need people with a special kind of heart.

Also, a flip side of this discussion is that I think taking on rescues, older dogs, or dogs with known issues (behavioural or health) can be amongst the most rewarding of dogs to own. It isn't for everyone, but I think after people have had a cavalier for a while and gain confidence with the breed they may well find they are comfortable working with these dogs that often need people with a special kind of heart.

I would love to do this, its probably when I retire though:(

I couldn't agree more with you Karlin, when Megan 1st came home to us she was still a little shy, and wary,

but to see her confidence grow over the last 7 months to the point now that everyone who comes to our door is greeted wuth a cuddle and a kiss, has just been 1 of the best things in our lives, an amazingly rewarding experience for us as a whole family :D

Rescuing a Cavalier is so wonderful :D. They have problems, as mine do, but they wrap you around their paws and bring such joy even with "living at the vet's".

Back