• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please. . I need help and advice urgently!!

I am sorry that you have been left with such uncertainty.

A quick google suggests that Marbocyl P may have been prescibed for the possible skin problem
"In Dogs, Marbocyl is indicated for the treatment of skin and soft tissue infections"
Serc appears to be prescribed for ear problems.

Presumably if taking this medication make no diifference to Molly's symptoms the neurologist will be able to rule out these as the cause of the problem.

I wonder if the bulge is something like a pre-syrinx?
http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/part2.htm

Hi Margaret C
You are absolutely right with regard to Molly's medication; and indeed the idea was to in fact rule out ear/skin problems being the cause of Moll's symptoms. As already disscussed the Neurologist did not want to diagnose SM without ruling out any other possibility or cause for her symptoms. She has had lots of treatment already from the vet for the loss of fur in small patches on her back, but nothing has resolved it and all skin scrapings came back negative. I am wondering if all Molly's writhing frantically around on the floor after eating is actually rubbing patches of fur away. Her inner ear "plugs" were only identified on the MRI scan as you know, and again the Neurologist wanted to ensure these plugs were not infected. He did suggest if Molly does not respond to the medication then we have to go back and he will investigate further. It is so sad to see poor Molly in the states she gets herself into, and over the last 2 weeks her episodes are becoming more frequent and lasting longer. I am at a loss what to do as I dont think I could have gone to Chesterfields any more equipped or with any more evidence of Molly's condition.
I am counting down the days now, when she has had ten days of her medication then I have to ring the Neurologist to update him on Molly's condition and to let him know if there has been any change. Up to date the tablets have made no difference at all to her.
Regards
Mollysmum

Mollys problems

Hi mollys mum,

I am new to this site today and have been reading through your story on hear. Were you given copies of Mollys scans to take back to your vets at all.
From experience I took my Ruby for a scan a few months ago now (it all sinks in eventually) but i arranged it myself and booked in with Clare Rusbridge at Wimbledon which was quite a trek but hey ho!
Ruby was scanned even though she only showed mild symptoms (a bit of excessive stratching and a lot of head rubbing) onlly 2 pain screaming fits which lasted a few seconds only. However clare was brilliant and sad she would scan her anyway as i was sure she had it.
Unfortunatly the scan showed she has a large syrinx at 6 mm wide at the top of her spine and occipital displasia and quite a large herniation of the brain.
Clare gave me the scans and all notes to take back to my vets and emailed me all the information regarding different treatment options to. I would think that if Molly had syrinx present he wouldnt be looking at other options for her but in my view and the symptoms you describe she is obviously in a lot of discomfort and needs some sort of pain releif.
If she doesnt have syrinx present and it is the PSOM causing the distress then she should be booked in ASAP to get them flushed.
I know a lady whose dog (also Molly) has PSOM and chairi malformation and she has been a wonderful suport to me and Ruby and if you msg me you email i will send hers to you as her Molly has been a sufferer for three years now and she is a world of information and support.
Hope you are ok

Karen and Ruby xxx

Molly's Mom,

I'm surprised they aren't getting Molly in right away to get her ears flushed too. They have to come out regardless if they are infected. In retrospect, I wish I would have had her ears flushed and get that resolved before we did the decompression surgery (which she did need too) just to see which symptoms were attributed to the PSOM. Friday had her ears flushed 3 times because it can come back before she had a more extensive surgery to remove bone tissue from her ears to take away the tissue that produces the mucus plugs. They said she might become deaf after the more extensive surgery but she hears just fine. Probably better than me!!!! The myringotomy is not a very invasive surgery compared to the decompression surgery. Hope you're getting some asnwers.

Up date on Molly

Hi to all and thanks for the posts. Molly has had a week on her medication from Chesterfields and I have got to say the only noticeable difference with her appears to be her ear scratching seems a little less. All her other symptoms are exactly the same which is not only disappointing but a major concern now. I have to ring Chesterfields tommorrow to up date the Neurologist on Molly's condition. He will then decide where we go from here. She still has the bald skin patches on her back therefore despite the neuro wanting a Dermatologist appt I really cant imagine it being anything other than a connection with all her other symptoms. I dont want to sound rude but I really believe Molly would benefit from some form of analgesia and I shall be quite persistant in asking for some. Its not only heartbreaking to see her but I feel totally useless.
I have taken advice off a number of people on this site and switched Molly's food to Arden Grange sensitive as she has been also having problems with her bowel habits ie having 3 or 4 poops a day. I have got to say the toilet dept has picked up slightly which has been a pleasant surprise!
I will post once I know what the Neurologist decides what happens next. Thanks for everyones concern
Regards
Mollysmum:hug:

Good luck tomorrow, hope they can get her sorted out with appropriate medication. (y)Its horrible to feel that they need our help and we are finding it difficult to get it for them.

Back