• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about grade 3 murmur and Vetmedin

I can't tell if the "mobile unit" is the same unit described in the link. If so, that's not good as you need the color doppler flow capability to see the regurgitant jet/s from the malfunctioning valves. As they said, a measurement of cardiac wall thickness and contractility is more useful for the cardiomyopathies - this is different from the valvular diseases. They say they can refer for the "full color doppler" but where are they referring to? If the mobile unit doesn't have the color doppler capability, I wouldn't spend my money on the mobile unit but wait until I could get a more appropriate echo.

Pat

I just spoke with the receptionist at the Nutgrove clinic and she said Mr Mullaly would be happy to see us, but only on referral from our vets. Once he has Rex's history and medical notes, he can perform adn ECG and ultrasound for us.
So... just been onto our vets to get the referral done! Just waiting on a call back.
I cant believe it was that easy (touch wood we will get an appointment!).. Thanks Sins for posting that link..

Good to hear you have an appointment:p,hopefully it won't cost too much but it really seems like having an expert opinion is the way to go.Let us know how you get on.
Sins

Thanks a million to everyone for your very helpful replies. Very kind of you all to take the time out to give us some very good advice.

At present George is doing really well. He appears to be showing no signs at all. Loves his walks, dinnertime, hugs etc. He's always been a very laid back dog that doesn't play much bit we have noticed that since Chrissie has joined our family, he's slightly more active and excitable. In fact we think there's some definite flirting going on!! :) He's also lost 1.5kg which is just fantastic. We followed Karlins link on here to Roy Croft and so far it's a great success. He's losing it slowly too which we're very happy with.

We've to see our vet next week to check up on Chrissie's eye ulcer so we'll discuss the referral then. Hopefully we can get it done soon enough. Once again, thanks for some great advice!

Just to update you about George. We spoke to our vet and in his opinion he thinks that there is no need for George to go on any meds and as long as he's doing well he doesn't think he would need to see a cardiologist but he can refer him at any stage.

Last edited:
I am glad George is doing fine.My pepe had a grade 3 heart murmur early last year my vet said there was no need for medication.It has now developed into a grade 5 he also has chf.He coughs and collapses especially when he gets excited.Only since he have been having these symtoms is vet have put him on vetmedin and frusemide.He did try him on lanoxin first but he was being sick.
Pepe is doing fine otherwise and have only collapsed once since he have been taking the meds.
I wish george all the best :)

Lisa x

Back